Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Inducing Freezing  (Read 1688 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inducing Freezing
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

remember that the lower the [SPEC_HEAT:#] the faster the material affects it's surronding's temp, and vice versa.

WHAT. Dwarf fortress actually has temperature work realistically?!
I just had a "wow, this really is complex" moment.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »

A guy was messing around with perfectworld and he put just the height map of europe in it and left the world generator to place forests and all that and it was pretty freaking accurate, forests where forests are, rivers following more or less the same path, etc.

Dwarf Fortress has so much work put into it and is so complex, some people can't comprehend or understand how complex it really is. This is why I think Toady rocks.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »

I saw that thread. I was impressed then, but for some reason I'm more impressed with the temperature modeling.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 08:42:13 pm »

I'd say, just be in awe of all of it, even the stuff you don't know of yet, better safe than sorry. haha
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »

"All hail the Toad", I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and I finally gave up on making the water freeze. I downloaded DFhack and magma-painted an obsidian base for the palace.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

That's what I would've done in the first place or use the water feature and remove a ton of the water.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:47 pm »

You can remove the water?!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:48 am »

Yeah, using the hack dealio.

I believe what you want to do is.

block
w
0 <- zero

and then move to where it is you want to remove.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:25 am »

but don't removing 7/7 water won't clear up pathfinding causing your dwarves to count the area that water was removed off limits.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 05:11:34 pm »

The way I cleared that up was I place a construction or some how forced a dwarf to go there. It forces the game to re-read what is there and it will adjust it. I normally just place or remove a floor, however if you have no way down there yet, you could try placing a down stair above it and then try placing the up stair to connect. Just fiddle with it a bit and I'm pretty sure you'll get it. It's like if you have static water on the surface not surrounded by anything. If you have a dwarf walk next to it (sometimes) or place a floor right next to it, the water will get a state change and start to flow. Rain will also change static water.

Urist McFumbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

Assuming the OP doesn't want to use DFHack to add obsidian as a base of the structure.

Why not channel some magna towards it and make obsidian walls naturally?

You will have a magma moat and also a obsidian support in place at the same time.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:19 am »

Ha ha ha ha. This is a bit of a necro...but that is what I ended up doing.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43:35 pm »

So you had no joy with that freezing stone? Because it sounded quite interesting.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »

From what I've learned both here and in other places, you can't use an item that's submerged in water to freeze other tiles of water. The object will be destroyed and nothing good will come of it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 01:48:05 am »

that is the idea but so far I don't believe it when no one had shown the code for a stone that can freeze ice. (doesn't matter if it gets removed from being in cased).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2]