Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!  (Read 6221 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 03:26:46 pm »

Do brooks dry out? Or can I count on it being there for ever

They are eternal.  Most brooks will be eternally replinished from the "source" tiles at the edge of the map, and any body of water that touches the edge of the map on embark is infinite (including underground lakes).  If you have a brook that starts on-map, then, just like underground rivers in previous games, they actually have 5 or so "fountain" tiles that eternally generate new water to flow through the brook.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:06 pm »

Can't we seal them with magma?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 04:26:11 pm »

Can't we seal them with magma?
Yes, you can.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »

And thus the eternal brook was robbed of its immortality.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:46 pm »

And thus the eternal brook was robbed of its immortality.
The end.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 08:38:34 pm »

Sure, the real world has the Nile, but it's pretty unique.
And the Rio Grande and the Indus and the Syr Darya and...

Granted, most of these rivers have trouble reaching the sea anymore.  Too many magma-dams upstream I guess.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »

Sure, the real world has the Nile, but it's pretty unique.
And the Rio Grande and the Indus and the Syr Darya and...

Granted, most of these rivers have trouble reaching the sea anymore.  Too many magma-dams upstream I guess.

Ok, maybe not so unique.  Still, I think the Nile is the biggest one.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »

It's long, but it's not very wide through Egypt.  Definitely a river, not a brook, though -- you can't walk across it, and there are crocodiles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »

A river only needs rainfall and a slope going downhill.  In Africa, the Nile drains a huge portion of the continent, from where there are still jungles (and hence, plenty of rain), and has to pass through the dry desert regions because downhill is North on the African Plateau.

There's nothing artificial about the way that the Nile formed, so it is entirely repeatable through simulated natural circumstance. (And saying that it is unique simply because it is one of the most famously LARGE rivers in the world is a little misleading - if it is unique because of its size alone, that doesn't mean that it is unrepeatable in other worlds.)

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 08:26:50 am »

A river only needs rainfall and a slope going downhill.  In Africa, the Nile drains a huge portion of the continent, from where there are still jungles (and hence, plenty of rain), and has to pass through the dry desert regions because downhill is North on the African Plateau.

All I'm saying is, it's difficult to get Dwarf Fortress to generate a world like that.  You simply can't get rivers (as in rivers) in deserts without a lot of work.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

Wrong. I have desert streams.

All you need is a world consisting primarily of...well...mountains and deserts. The water comes from the mountains and needs a way to go, and with nothing but desert to go through...ta daa!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 09:32:14 am »

All you need is a world consisting primarily of...well...mountains and deserts.

Precisely.  A lot of work.  Standard gen, that won't happen.  And you still only have a "stream" not a "river."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:49 am »

It's not a "brook", so I'm happy enough  :D

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43:05 am »

Just channel every suface tile, and hey presto! it's now a stream!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 12:55:56 pm »

That's exactly what I don't want to have to do  >:(

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4