Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!  (Read 6207 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »

all the good stuff is underground? What a sad day for aboveground fortresses.
It's always been like that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »

For all you river-starved forumnites, have a worldgen with plenty of rivers!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You might want to adjust the underground parameters.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:37 pm »

I've never really had any trouble finding sites with the stuff I want without using the finder. Just takes a little practice.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 09:48:27 pm »

The site finder should really just be updated. Back in the day, you'd use it for evil/good zones, magma, HFS, chasms, and other fun stuff. Since all that stuff is everywhere, the only real reason to use the finder is flux, aquifer, good/evil, and temp. What it really needs is additional sliders for things like volcanism, layer type, vegetation, river size, and other aboveground niceties to replace the needlessness of searching specifically for underground niceties. And, of course, the mentioned list of sites instead of the first available, especially since it searches all the sites anyway.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 06:07:38 am »

all the good stuff is underground? What a sad day for aboveground fortresses.
It's always been like that.
There's strawberries above ground, at least.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:28 am »

If you want rivers, set the min and max elevations to be between 290 and 300.  Then nullify all the required elevation params (like oceans and peaks required.  that kind of stuff).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:35 am »

I want the river-cake, but I also want to eat it without all the hills :P
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:35 am »

The site finder should really just be updated. Back in the day, you'd use it for evil/good zones, magma, HFS, chasms, and other fun stuff. Since all that stuff is everywhere, the only real reason to use the finder is flux, aquifer, good/evil, and temp. What it really needs is additional sliders for things like volcanism, layer type, vegetation, river size, and other aboveground niceties to replace the needlessness of searching specifically for underground niceties. And, of course, the mentioned list of sites instead of the first available, especially since it searches all the sites anyway.

It needs magma pipes restored, sand added, and access to all civilizations added. Specific stone layer types (granite, obsidian) wouldn't hurt either.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:58 am »

I agree with the stone layer specification.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 09:30:53 am »

We then conclude that the finder is crap. Are there any tools out there one could use in its stead?
But why does it matter whether it's brook or river?
I personally dislike brooks.

I like to be able to use a river as a physical barrier.  Folks can just walk across the top of a brook.  Yes, I know, channel it out...  Which makes no sense...  But then you've got brook tiles and regular water tiles, which looks like crap.  I'd rather have a genuine river.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 09:43:49 am »

Hold on. Rainfall. Hills. Mountains.
I usually make my worlds so they sport as many flat deserts as possible, so...yeah...my bad on the world gen side of this.

Yeah, I'd say that "big rivers" and "deserts" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Sure, the real world has the Nile, but it's pretty unique.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 12:30:15 pm »

Is there any way to reduce the number of brooks (without loosing actual rivers) during world gen?
Or at least some crafty tweak to exclude brooks from the embark finder's "rivers: yes" setting?

I hate brooks. Seriously.

I'm pretty sure it is impossible. From what I can tell, brooks merge to form rivers. To get more rivers you need more "River Start Locations", which actually create brooks that eventually merge as they work their way down elevations. I guess if you have tons and tons of start locations, the brooks will merge very quickly into rivers, theoretically reducing the number of brooks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:34:36 pm by Niveras »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

HAH. I found a way...although I have no idea how it works. I've got few high mountains and lots of flat deserts, and for some reason most of the running water in the flats is actually streams rather than brooks. Fuque me if I know how that works, but right now it really looks that way.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 01:01:13 pm »

Do brooks dry out? Or can I count on it being there for ever

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »

I agree with the stone layer specification.

I've been hoping there would also be a stone layer map output in legends mode.  It would take a bit of creativity to show everything together but I'm sure it could be done.  At the most brute-force level, maybe a separate output map could be made for each stone type.

OT, I do think it would be nice if Finder differentiated between rivers and brooks.  I also think it would be nice if rivers were not mutually exclusive with other features such as volcanoes, and had the ability to show up in any terrain like streams.  Ideally they would still be visible in the region view but could overlap the other features. 
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4