Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon Law Enforcer?  (Read 3925 times)

yooree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon Law Enforcer?
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »

I got a quest from a small human town recently to kill a demon that had apparently been tormenting them. They said it was a bit North, so I started walking. I picked up two comrades on the way. I walked through the town and everyone was acting strange and picking up all this food and hoarding it in their houses (Every tile had 2-3 food in it.) Then I noticed that the demon was just waltzing through the town. It was named, but also had the title of 'law-giver' or 'law-enforcer'. Something like that. I thought it was strange, but nevertheless I was sent by their warlord to kill the dude and he seemed as though about to get his rampage on.

I took one shot at him (it asked me to confirm my attack, which I found strange. Of course I want to attack this giant demon with poisonous blood!) And I got the shout from him "I am *blah blah blah*. Prepare to die!" In which immediately after I get a second shout from my axeman behind me. "I am *blah blah blah*. Prepare to die." And surely enough it was echoed by my crossbowman. I didn't think much of it yet, and took a few swings at the demon before I noticed I was getting pelted with arrows. I started to run, noticing the whole town is in an fury that I attacked their demon sheriff which they asked me to do. I could only make it to a store front before getting an arrow through the leg. I took refuge inside, pierced the shopkeepers guts with my spear, and picked up a spear that he had on sale with all sorts of menacing bone spikes on it. I figured if I were to go down, I might as well be a thief and a 'murderer'. The shopkeeper lay winded and vomiting as I stood one tile North of the door, waiting for some poor sucker to wander in, but staying out of sight stray bolts. As though this town isn't strange enough, they send in three of their finest child warriors. Each is armed with the finest assorted leathers and cloth armors, which probably only resisted the spear on it's way back out of their bodies as it snags and forces me to twist it out of them. The cannon fodder each get a couple quick stabs before the crossbowman finally backs them up, firing a lethal dose of bronze into my chest and limbs.

Why did the revere and fear this demon so much that they would originally choose to set me to kill it, only to take it's side when I strike out? I'm assuming they're just a small town, living in terror of this beast which requests a sacrifice of meat to allow them to live.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Law Enforcer?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »

Short answer: It`s a bug.

yooree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:55:18 pm »

So this demon takes the form of a human, and becomes a lawman. No one seems to notice, except for the warlord of the town who asks me to kill it. But then when I attack everyone else just thinks I'm attacking a human.

I didn't even know they could do that.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:57:46 pm by yooree »

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:04:00 pm »

Holy carp, this stuff is good enough for a book or film of sorts.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:17:26 pm »

Holy carp, this stuff is good enough for a book or film of sorts.

A movie about Dwarf Fortress?

Holy shit.
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »

seeing how we are in 31.10 the only few things you can do to them while staying on the warlord's good side is to add a adventurer reaction for a burning stone or boiling virus that will infect/roast the demon and kill it seeing how the beast is dead you can return for another quest that might be less on killing the town's mascot.
Code: [Select]
dump in material inorganic file
[INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bonfire][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:15]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:15]
   [IGNITE_POINT:11000]
   [MELTING_POINT:NONE]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:12000]
   [SPEC_HEAT:10000]
   [BOILING_POINT:NONE]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
   [IS_STONE]
dump in the reactions other
[REACTION:BONFIRE_START]
[NAME:Ignite large fire]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

this is the bonfire mod I adapted to adventure mode.

now for the reason why well warlords will send you on quests to kill megabeasts and semimegabeasts.
now if a beast is in close range they will just send someone to attack it wether they kill/stole or not.
I had a warlord ask my bronze colossus to kill a demon once after I see the (using the mod) and retired the colossus, the demon wants my bronze colossus dead when I send in a human adventurer to talk to it.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:15:32 am »

I hope this get`s fixed soon.

BUT

It should still be possible. If something like this happens i imagine that the populace in general likes their law-giver, but the warlord wants to be the boss himself. So he tricks an adventurer into killing the law-giver and then attempts to kill him so that no one will know the truth.

There should be different variants of the quest. Like, if the populace hates the law-giver they might hire an adventurer to kill him. Then some part might like him, and some don`t and you can either lead the haters in an revolution or you might help the law-giver to oppress the rebels. Etc.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:21:39 am »

Whell.... When Toady accepts me as his assistant I'm gona so totaly figure out all sorts of new ideas...just kiding. I think that this BUG is maybe NOT a bug... as the guy above said. but if so Then DF realy needs a thing that lets you push time forwards without playing, so that a war starts or the law giver gets replaced. wich is also funny, why is it always a law giver or a lord/master?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:21:05 pm »

they go in and pretend to be a god.
so pretty much warlords are asking you to kill a false armok.
now some say it's a bug due to the fact that killing them head on is suicidal.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:38:20 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »

seeing how we are in 31.10 the only few things you can do to them while staying on the warlord's good side is to add a adventurer reaction for a burning stone or boiling virus that will infect/roast the demon and kill it seeing how the beast is dead you can return for another quest that might be less on killing the town's mascot.
   [IS_STONE]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[FUEL]
OR you could, you know, just retire and start a new adventurer from another civilisation, kill the demon with it, then get killed my the townfolk and restart your old one. A lot easier I'd say.

yooree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »

But then you'd miss out on all the "Fun". Which at least made for a good story. I mean, a good story after finding out what the heck had happened.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »

[IS_STONE]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[FUEL]
OR you could, you know, just retire and start a new adventurer from another civilisation, kill the demon with it, then get killed my the townfolk and restart your old one. A lot easier I'd say.
or better yet retire the adventurer go into dwarf mode game a bunch of dwarfs to practice archery with the demon, pump magma and water into his/her house, create a bonfire booze explosion,
wall said demon in and dump goblins in on him/her, dig straight into hell it self from the house of the demon so that it can go back to whence it came(and get jump by his old friends). really dorfy ways of completing the task.
more dorfy if you use runesmith to butch, cage, tame to cage, cage to sell to others,a drunk civ member to piss off said demon so that it can lose it's diplomatic immunity towards death causing the town members to attack it and attack each other leading to a wipe up of said town.

really much better in the FUN than "send assassin to do a mercenary's job."  where with all those ways something can go wrong and lead to the death of the adventurer.
"body swapping and YOU!"

yooree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »

Oh and lookie:

Round 2 has certainly cropped up. I've put together three screenshots of my second situation:

3 different towns have asked me to kill this bro. I can't let them all down, can I? I'm in a predicament.

yooree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »

He of course tries to send me to kill an elf. Which I think I'll follow up on. I dislike elves more than I dislike demon sheltering humans.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

ive had this mission and completed it: get him when they go to bed. I was sent to kill Master Azgod in another town when i reached they were all asleep. I had to search many dorms until i found him I then had to beat him with my bronze great sword for about 5 mins (real time) as his cloak kept deflecting my attacks but eventually i cut his hand off and he died. He never attacked back or woke up.

I had no companions, or rather i had two dorfs but for some reason they didnt follow me out of the town i got the quest in. It doesnt suprise me that your (op) companions attacked you. I think the game is a bit confused by demons that infiltrate civs. As they are part of the civ if you attack them you presumably you become enemy of the civ. On the other hand because they are demons they can still be quest targets.

I never got the congrats message off the warlord that gave me the quest tho because i stole from a local shop. When i returned to the warlord after killing the demon he attacked me, and i gutted him.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: [1] 2