Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with my entrance?  (Read 3825 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with my entrance?
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »

I've recently revised my usual fortress plan, moving the farm and refuse pile which were usually located nearish to the entrance, to somewhere else on a different level. However, this has left my entrance completely empty apart from the room with the trade depot in it and it feels like it's missing something. What else do you people have in your entranceways?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my entrance?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »

vomit
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »

Traps, war animals, ... engravings!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:42:04 pm »

Traps, war animals, ... engravings!

Well yeah, that's a given, but it looks a bit empty just being a straight (albeit wide and grand looking when fully furnished) corridor leading to the main staircase into my fortress proper.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

Furnished corridor? What do you put in it?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »

I usually have a great hall, with some of my best artifacts on display, and maybe a chained, tamed beast or two, if I have them; trade depot is on an offshoot from that.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:25:03 pm »

Furnished corridor? What do you put in it?

Usually 2 rows of statues going all the way down to the back, but I used to have rooms going off the side, now those rooms have been moved so I don't know what to put in their stead... maybe a zoo?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

Magma waterfall defense mechanism.  Also, make the floor out of bars of coke and see if you can get the floor tiles to ignite (It's possible, and I've done it before, I think it has to do with being under/next to something that's !!burning!!).  Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

Magma waterfall defense mechanism.  Also, make the floor out of bars of coke and see if you can get the floor tiles to ignite (It's possible, and I've done it before, I think it has to do with being under/next to something that's !!burning!!).  Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Mind if I sig that, good sir?
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:48 pm »

Goblin prisoners, still in cages. That might freak out traders, though, but I don't think they'll be disturbed by them if they're in cages. Barring that, goblin skull totems. Behind grates (or if you have sand, glass walls) so kobolds can't wander of with them.

Also, traps. Lots of traps.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:01 pm »

Make an "entrance section" which is all outsiders will ever be allowed to see. Make it out of smoothed marble, cedar, gold and clear glass, with your most fascinating creatures on display. Have water and magma falls form pillars around the corners of the room, and let statues and engravings depict tales of both the military prowess and artistic genius of your fortress, so that no human, elf or goblin will ever dare to doubt that dwarven society is truly the apex of civilization.

Under no circumstances allow them to see the howling, blood-soaked excuse for a leper colony that is your real fortress.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

Mind if I sig that, good sir?
Feel free to do so.  I managed to set my entrance on fire in 40d a long, long time ago, but I've never been able to recreate the result.  I suspect it's actually a spreading !!burning!! tag since constructions are temperature proof.

While it might have been a small 5x5 patch of coke floors around a 3x3 drainage grate setup, I still hold that fort as my most awesome fort ever.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

That's where I like to keep my barracks.  That way my military is training near the action.  Sometimes I'll even build my barracks OUTSIDE.  No goblin's gonna sucker punch my axelords, as they puke their guts out due to cave adaptation.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:27:32 am »

I've always favored unobtrusive entrances with a larger chamber below for engaging enemies that make it in.  That way, I can avoid having to approach or engage archers at a distance - simply group my military around the stairs and wait for the fun. 
Pages: [1] 2