Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Mapped Mafia (Replacement needed, postponed until I can work out bugs)  (Read 10059 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

This thread is discontinued due to flimsy support structure, refer to following link for the new thread.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64303.msg1500005#msg1500005

Yes, even though I've decided to never play mafia again, I never said I wouldn't attempt to host a game. And this time, I'm going to try to bring a fresh take on mafia to the table.

This is a more advanced mafia game, there are locations, and players can move between them.
 In this game, the mafia is more deadly, but common power roles are more powerful to match.
 Each turn has four periods. Three day periods and a night period. Each day period a player can move to another building and perform an action if he/she has one, This happens immediately. During the night, the town players will be sleeping in their homes.
 Players may remove themselves from the map, this will hide their location, but is more often than not a tell for shady behavior. Players are technically still on the map, their movements and actions PMed to me. Players will return to the map on command or at the beginning of the night period. Players may only do this once every other day. (basically, a one day cooldown)
 Lynch voting works differently in this game. Votes can't be made just willy nilly, but instead are made at the Town Hall. To place a vote, the player must be in the Town Hall, and once made, cannot be changed. In the third period, the lynch will occur and all players that were in the Town Hall will attend, those that weren't will not. Only players who were present in the Town Hall during third period will count towards the vote.
 There are role and alignment flips.

(Note that these rules can be broken by certain roles)

Spoiler: roles (click to show/hide)
The game will have 2 townie power roles randomly picked with no duplicates, and 2 mafia, one of which will be a mafia power role. There may or may not be a serial killer detonator as well.

Spoiler: Errata (click to show/hide)

There are 9 player slots, and 15 buildings. The building list will also serve as the player list, because I like the compression that gives.

Spoiler: buildings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:42:28 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Mapped Mafia
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:26:16 pm »

This is interesting. I guess it can't hurt to try it out. In,
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

Oh, I'm assuming the set up is closed?
To be partly feline,

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

I'm unsure of what you mean? I'm just waiting for players to join in...

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:24:26 pm »

I'm unsure of what you mean?

We don't know what roles and powers are in the game? At least, not until the person with the role dies.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:30:54 pm by Diablous »
To be partly feline,

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mapped Mafia (people, don't feel afraid to join!)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

What's the point of having to eat if everybody HAS to do it? I mean, why should we tell you we're going to go eat when you know that we're going to anyways? If I wanna do an ability, I can be either more selective (do it a person's house) or more general (do it at the town hall), depending on what I want. I don't see any situation where I'd ever want to do anything BUT eat at the restaurant. I dunno, maybe you've got some brilliant idea or something, but to me, it just looks like a needless last-minute addition that'll only make an already complex game more complex.

Probably will join later, but no guarantees.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

What's the point of having to eat if everybody HAS to do it? I mean, why should we tell you we're going to go eat when you know that we're going to anyways? If I wanna do an ability, I can be either more selective (do it a person's house) or more general (do it at the town hall), depending on what I want. I don't see any situation where I'd ever want to do anything BUT eat at the restaurant. I dunno, maybe you've got some brilliant idea or something, but to me, it just looks like a needless last-minute addition that'll only make an already complex game more complex.
Hmm... There was a reason early on in conception, though I think I forgot and/or otherwise underdeveloped the concept... I'll be thinking about this.

EDIT: Alright, I've given it consideration, I'm going to remove the food requirement, the restaurant, and reveal the roles that will be used in this game. The reason for food was the 'detonator' class, who would produce explosives inside buildings, I didn't want him spending an entire day doing this however, and wanted incentive for townies to move about. I have decided the restaurant/food requirement was a poor method, and that revealing what the roles can do will give much better incentive for players to move about.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:47:50 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:35:09 pm »

Interesting.  Very interesting.

May I suggest the addition of a possible (if only slightly) third-party detonator who only requires two periods to build (to compensate for lack of a team), but cannot move the bomb out of the building in which he builds it?

EDIT: Also, I recommend a policy-lynch on anyone who is in town-hall during either of the first two day phases.  There's no reason to be there unless you're scum, and we don't need a detonator killing us all D1 or D2.

EDITEDIT:  SHADOWdump - Will everyone's locations be public (other than those who are deliberately hiding), or will we only know who is in a building with us?

EDITEDITEDIT:  This would be a really good concept for quicktopic play.  You could make a new chat for every occupied building every phase.  Scum wouldn't get their own chat.  They'd have to find a way to get together in the same building in secret if they wanted to plan, or rely on each other as messengers.  You'd have to announce everyone who's (openly) present in a building in the first post of the qt, so that you don't accidentally say something you shouldn't in front of a lurker.  The paranoia would be exquisite.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:49:38 pm by Lonewolf I »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:42:47 pm »

Also, I recommend a policy-lynch on anyone who is in town-hall during either of the first two day phases.  There's no reason to be there unless you're scum, and we don't need a detonator killing us all D1 or D2.

Considering the detonater destroys buildings, I doubt that explosives could be used on town hall.
To be partly feline,

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:02:40 pm »

May I suggest the addition of a possible (if only slightly) third-party detonator who only requires two periods to build (to compensate for lack of a team), but cannot move the bomb out of the building in which he builds it?
Hmm... That sounds good, and gives more chances for the detonator to be someone to watch out for. I'll pop that in.

EDIT: Also, I recommend a policy-lynch on anyone who is in town-hall during either of the first two day phases.  There's no reason to be there unless you're scum, and we don't need a detonator killing us all D1 or D2.
Such strategies are in the hands of the players, but if your asking for auto-lynches or immediate executions on players for any reason, I'll have to say no.

EDITEDIT:  SHADOWdump - Will everyone's locations be public (other than those who are deliberately hiding), or will we only know who is in a building with us?
Everyone will know where everyone else is, besides those who are hiding.

EDITEDITEDIT:  This would be a really good concept for quicktopic play.  You could make a new chat for every occupied building every phase.  Scum wouldn't get their own chat.  They'd have to find a way to get together in the same building in secret if they wanted to plan, or rely on each other as messengers.  You'd have to announce everyone who's (openly) present in a building in the first post of the qt, so that you don't accidentally say something you shouldn't in front of a lurker.  The paranoia would be exquisite.
21 quicktopic rooms... Woah...
 I wasn't plannig to use quicktopic anyway... Although, I'll look into that service real quick to set up a mafia and dead chat if it is to my liking.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

Such strategies are in the hands of the players, but if your asking for auto-lynches or immediate executions on players for any reason, I'll have to say no.
I'm just saying this now so that when I vote someone who's in town hall during one of the first two day phases, I can quote myself to legitimize the vote, and encourage others to do so.

21 quicktopic rooms... Woah...
 I wasn't plannig to use quicktopic anyway... Although, I'll look into that service real quick to set up a mafia and dead chat if it is to my liking.
I'm not saying do it for this particular game.  You'd need an extremely dedicated mod with too much time on his hands to pull it off.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »

I'm assuming that when a detonator destroys a building, players can't go there are interact with the destroyed building? And can the town hall be blown up?
To be partly feline,

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »

I was assuming that that would be the case for warehouses and people's homes, but that the town hall would be a special case in which people could continue meeting in the (now bomb risk free) rubble of the building.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »

Yeah, but making the town hall bombable makes being there to vote very dangerous.
To be partly feline,

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:43:05 pm »

That's what strategy, planning, and a refusal to step inside the Town Hall D3 and beyond are for.  Some anti-bomber roles might be in order, as well.

Also, if a bomber sets a bomb to go off when someone enters a building and gets killed, the bomb would still be dangerous, yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7