Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsidian traps (.08)  (Read 1293 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian traps (.08)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 02:10:55 pm »

large steel serrated dicks

:o

...Goddamnit Freud. Fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 02:17:24 pm »

It was accidental? Yeah riiight. ;)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »

It was accidental? Yeah riiight. ;)
Don't worry, being slightly (or not so slightly) insane is kind of required to play Dwarf Fortress.

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 03:25:43 pm »

The problem steel discs which I use a lot of (yay sedimentary layers) is they seem to get clogged with bodies super fast even with master work mechanisms. The best setup I have run is where you get a ton of spiked steel balls to knock goblins into a ditch where some other horrible fate awaits them such as lava or fall trap. Then again its nice having my traps get clogged because it gives me an excuse to bust out my axe lords.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

That is why you build multiple traps. You don't need to stuff 100 discs in 10 traps. Try 5 discs in 20 traps.

With only 10 traps, 10 corpses can clog them up and then the 11th goblin gets through.

With 20 traps and 11 goblins, you can at worst get 11 jammed traps, but 9 still ready to slice up goblins.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:03 pm »

Do some traps actually push enemies around, or do they just jump away to dodge them?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

Somewhat related that the game turns obsidian swords into literal wooden swords - thusly they're just as effective as elven weapons. You don't WANT elven weapons anywhere near your entrance, unless they are on their merry way to the magma.
That's just a display bug. It names the weapon after the wood used instead of the stone used. It still has the cutting edge of the stone. Stone weapons are just pathetic against armor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:58 pm »

I seize all the weapons from elves, and humans and put them in traps. Just rows and rows of traps. But thats my second defense.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: 1 [2]