Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wardogs are struggling.  (Read 5535 times)

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wardogs are struggling.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »

Well...bodies in DF seem to be bade of either gelatine or concrete, so I wouldn't rate the idea based on "number of heads ripped off". Still, armoured animals...nah. Most of the time, animals just sit around doing jack at all. I find it hard to believe they'd wear armour all the time. Dwarves might do so, but an Elephant or cat constantly in armour? Don't think so.

Misplaced McRealism; out.

Eh, I cant help but apply reallity into that factor. As even though its true that the bodies in DF can vary from a toughness of jello to concrete levels, they do seem to have at the very least a little realism to them. And a large animal like that would have razor sharp talons which would have to pierce the flesh, and have to have sufficent strength to generate enough sustained uplifting force to separate the head from the spinal cord/body. Which is not exactly an easy thing to do, we're all pretty well put together.

But you're right, an animal in armor ALL the time would get tired. Still, I just think it would be a cool idea. And it could work in as an extra factor is all. 
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

To the OP: in 40d, kobold thieves and goblin snatchers aren't the same sport.  The former can barely fend off a determined kitten, the latter have maimed a decent number of my fisherdwarves.  But in DF2010 up to at least 31.8, copper and iron are about equal as metals, and wrestling has become much less useful.  So while I haven't noticed much change myself, I would indeed expect that kobolds have gotten much scarier.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:14 am »

@ Heavy Animal Armour Brigades: What I imagine might be proper is fitting war animals with armour in exchange for a morale drop if it's worn for too long. Like an "Animalic Mobilisation" button in the military screen. You press it, your animal handlers put armour on your war petting zoo, and then you can go out and meet the siege with iron elephants. Once done or dead, you un-hit the button and the handlers take the armour off, or else the animals get depressed and stop eating (if they do that at all) or maybe start rampaging a little  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 11:24:32 am »

@ Heavy Animal Armour Brigades: What I imagine might be proper is fitting war animals with armour in exchange for a morale drop if it's worn for too long. Like an "Animalic Mobilisation" button in the military screen. You press it, your animal handlers put armour on your war petting zoo, and then you can go out and meet the siege with iron elephants. Once done or dead, you un-hit the button and the handlers take the armour off, or else the animals get depressed and stop eating (if they do that at all) or maybe start rampaging a little  :o
That doesn't make much sense, once a animal is trained for armor it can handle it for an theoretically unlimited time, the Indian war elephants show this very well, attacks from the Greeks were happening so often for a time that taking the armor off would be stupid, the elephants held up fine.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »

What if it's hot?  :P
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Spartan-67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »

War bears eh?

What about :
It is ineffecient, will accomplish next to nothing, and is complete overkill. It will also probably not work. In other words, dwarfy.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »

Horses have also been armored historically. I don't see why an animal would be more upset by armor than humans.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

I had a bear attack my wagon more or less as soon as I embarked, my war dog tore it to shreds without taking a single hit.

I have no idea what kind of war dogs you're using :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »

Certainly looks dwarfy. the guy on the right even brought a keg with him.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »

Dwarf's of the future.

To quote Futurama.

"WELCOME!, to the world of TOMOROOOOOW!"

Cept now the Goblins will have guns and cars, and the Hippies, I mean Elves, are greenpeace. XD
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 01:28:47 am »

Dwarf's of the future.

To quote Futurama.

"WELCOME!, to the world of TOMOROOOOOW!"

Cept now the Goblins will have guns and cars, and the Hippies, I mean Elves, are greenpeace. XD

Does that mean I can run them over with a whaling ship?   :D
Demon of Darkness

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 05:28:31 am »

Sure, nobody likes elves, cept elves.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 08:07:20 am »

They'd also fall out of the skies due to exhaustion, if ever they make it off the ground at all :P

this problem, like many of it's kind, can be solved by liberal application of adamantite
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »

War bears eh? What about :
Spoiler: Bear Cavalry (click to show/hide)
Which is scarier?
1. Dwarves riding war bears
2. Dwarves wielding drum-fed automatic firearms.
3. Dwarves, holding automatic firearms, going berserk.

(And you thought an berserk axelord was bad.)
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:11 pm »

Dwarves with automatic guns will quickly run out of ammo. An axedwarf will not.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4