Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17313 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you have any DF quirks?
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »

Personally, I have a lot of trouble playing on a map where I can't have my entrance dug into an east facing hill so my fortress trails to the west, sometimes to the point where I have to abandon and find another site. It's seriously annoying but a habit I just can't seem to drop.

I'm also somewhat superstitious, if the random name I get for my fortress is something like Silentcrypt or Stonetomb it seems like an unlucky omen to me. Also, if, in the embark text, where it says "ere the *** get hungry", if that creature is one that is native to the biome I'm on, I consider that good luck. So, something like a black bear in a conifer forest or something.

Does anyone else have little 'quirks' like this?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »

Personally, I have a lot of trouble playing on a map where I can't have my entrance dug into an east facing hill so my fortress trails to the west, sometimes to the point where I have to abandon and find another site. It's seriously annoying but a habit I just can't seem to drop.
Doesn't matter to me which way it's facing (I've had west and north so far), but it does bug me a little when the site's totally flat so I have to go straight down.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:31:25 pm »

Doesn't matter to me which way it's facing (I've had west and north so far), but it does bug me a little when the site's totally flat so I have to go straight down.

Conversely, I dislike maps with a lot of elevation changes and I like digging down.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:06 pm »

I like having a hillside to dig into, but I like it when everything else is flat and easy to see for me. I also tend to just clump my workshops into one giant room.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »

I like flat outdoors (or one corner being a mountain region for quick ore), and digging a one-level home 4-6 levels down. With optional extra storage rooms up or down from home. Draining a pond gives a water reservoir for safe well and farming mud.
Alas, no multi-level burrows for emergency indoors.

If only I could get my second squad to equip *weapons*! (I've set arsenal dwarf to appear at 150 citizens or so.)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:06:36 pm »

If possible, I try to find a forest filled with glumprong trees. I love making purple furniture.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »

Also, if, in the embark text, where it says "ere the *** get hungry", if that creature is one that is native to the biome I'm on, I consider that good luck. So, something like a black bear in a conifer forest or something.

I'm pretty sure it always picks an animal from the region's biome for that text.

As for myself, I tend to actually make rooms for my bookkeeper and manager instead of just sticking chairs in the middle of my fort and making one-tile rooms for them. Not sure why.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:34:55 pm »

i love taming animals, or pitting animals to kill one another,

im currently visualizing a way t omake a nice little habitat fill with roughly 20-25 wild troglodytes
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »

I like having soil layers. Like, at least two, preferably three, four if I can get away with it sans-aquifer.

Also, my hallways are always 3 tiles wide. Always. No matter where/how deep/population count/whatever. Three tiles.

I'm also a symmetrically-nazi.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 10:40:10 pm »

Also, my hallways are always 3 tiles wide. Always. No matter where/how deep/population count/whatever. Three tiles.

Same, exactly the same.
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.

tyl110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:40 pm »

I always make custom stockpiles to hold everything, except corpses and refuse.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 11:16:26 pm »

I can't stand leaving anything up on the surface in the wagon, no matter how benign the locale, or if its stuff like coal that no one steals. Get it all underground, with dogs guarding the entrance!
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 11:18:37 pm »

This.

I'm also adamant about my fortress looking good; if I misdig a tile or two and make my waterfall entrance/dining room/whatever look awkward or accidentally hit an offshoot from the cave river in 23a, I flail about in frustration.

Also, EVERYTHING is underground, except for a little fortified entrance with a magma moat around it and a drawbridge. All workshops, underground, Trade depot, underground. EVERYTHING.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »

I'm also adamant about my fortress looking good; if I misdig a tile or two and make my waterfall entrance/dining room/whatever look awkward or accidentally hit an offshoot from the cave river in 23a, I flail about in frustration.
I usually just build walls to even-out the room. Although, I'm on the list for a succession game where one of the rules "no straight lines".... everything has to be 'organic'. It's going to push my OCD to its limits.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:02:11 am »

Not being able to engrave every inch of my fortress. Conversely, I also hate having misaligned walls, such as soil walls next to my obsidian walls.

This ends in a cycle of hatred as I'm forced to use Constructed walls I cannot engrave on.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10