Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289627 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »

I'm hoping that there will eventually be images of the starting seven on the throne.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »

And done!

Urist Mchammerdorf sighed."Tha damn Elves be here 'gain, sir," he reported.
"It be a Siege?" Derm demanded.
"Nae. Shall I ready me squad?" McHammerdorf inquired.
Derm shook his head. "Not unless tha' Pansies only brought cloth. We need a breeding stock, and wood naer hurt. But ye should go look for Gobbo ambushes. They always show up now. I won't be able to join ye this time. Doc needs to set me thumb, then I've got a few troglodytes that still have their limbs. (Derm had a vendetta against the poor T’s. Ever since they made him fall and smash his thumb, but it was kind of hard to blame them, seeing as how he’s killed three giants, two forgotten beasts, and a Giant Cave Spider, and he got his first injury, of all possible things, from a T! Besides, the things looked grotesque.) Comp is being the fierce fighter he’s always been. Bah, he’s got FIVE war dogs, and he still cannae defend himself, even with a pick. I swear, Cog is sweet on that lucky sob. He gets the caverns to himself, he gets some dogs, he gets me to defend him…” Derm continues the monologue for quite some time, although Urist was quick to excuse himself with a “Yes, sir. I’d best… uhh… report to Cog.”
Urist had been at Towersoared for quite some time, but with the main fortress being moved to this area, he wasn’t sure the quickest way to the Grand Entrance Hall. That was one impressive piece of engineering, there. On his way to grab his squad, he accidentally ran into the gem crafter’s section. So of course Martini was quick to notice him.
“Urist, bro. What’cha been up to, man? I’ve been working on this epic throne, man, just look at all the gems! They’re so vivid!” Martini said, in that infuriating way. The fool was always high as a bird on Quarry Bush, though Armok knows how, seeing as how we don’t grow it here. But he had a point. The throne was pretty impressive. It was practically covered in gems of various kinds, no two of the same type, and there was still more to come. There were as diverse gems as blue diamond, star ruby, pink garnet, and harlequin opal, to name a few. The would be just as many studs of metal, and twice as many bones on the thing, the bones belonging to the forgotten beast Derm killed a while back.
“Go away! I’m busy!” Urist exclaimed, in a desperate bid for freedom. Surprisingly, it worked. Martini had seemed more quite ever since the falling out he had with Syntic, or maybe it was Cog… No one was quite sure. All we know is that Martini went into Cog’s office, started yelling about Syntic, although we weren’t quite sure as what was actually said, and then he walked out. Urist continued to ponder about this until he got to his barracks.
“UP ALL YE LOLLYGAGGERS! THA ELVES BE HERE, AND WE GOT TO HUNT FOR AMBUSHES! GOT THAT?” That was always the favorite part of that job for Urist.
“SIR, YES, SIR!” The squad chorused.
“GET TO IT!” Urist led his troop as they traversed the ground to the gate, where the Elves were waiting with their donkeys, mules, and horses, and where the Gobbos would show up, if they were going to show up. It always amazed Urist how Elves were able to balance a breeding pair of elephants in cages on a mule. It didn’t seem possible, and yet, they did it. Urist was so distracted by his musings on Elves, he was caught by surprise when the Goblins appeared.
Urist yelled the time-tested dwarven battle-cry, “BLOOD FOR THA BLOOD GOD!”
The dwarves were fast to close the distance, but Urist was the fastest. He swung his hammer in a close arc, CRUNCH. He swung faster, going for lethal strikes more and more. Blood sploshed around, covering Urist’s eyes. But the test of battle made him serene. His hammer Death, undeniable, and unstoppable. The Goblins had seen this many times before, but were powerless to stop it. It was a sublime sight to any onlookers, but the Goblins were being destroyed. They knew to run, but that didn’t mean the dwarves would let them. They were veterans, and they had been trained to stop any Gobbos from escaping. Their training didn’t fail them now, and the few Goblins who managed to disengage themselves from the fighting were hunted down.
“Well done, boys. Now! Let’s head back inside for a drink, eh?” Urist asked, smiling.
   “SIR, YES, SIR!” They responded in kind.
   The Elves, being Elves, were completely ungrateful, and of course went to the wrong Trade Depot, but that was Cog’s problem, not his.
   Later, Derm returned from the depths of the caverns, to see a grinning Urist.
   “I cannae tell ye what ye missed,” he said simply.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 01, 2010, 05:14:28 pm »

I like your story. You may want to explain that its a dwarf fortress instead of jumping into the action....
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:23 am »

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Malachite, 313

Derm’s slaughter of retribution continues in the upper caves.  11 more troglodytes and another giant toad were carved into pieces today.  Apparently it would have been 12 troglodytes except the last one ran with only one arm missing.  Derm decided it was time to sleep rather than chasing it down. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Either way, he made a bloody mess of those troglodytes. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Malachite, 313

Iteb Zonshar is one of our two carpenters and one of the dwarves who came with me to establish this settlement.  Apparently he quietly got tired of all the focus on stone and metal.  Apparently he wanted to demonstrate the potential of wood.  He created an incredible wooden grate.

It is gorgeous.  It’s a shame we have so much demand for wood, it doesn’t leave a lot to spare lately.  However, we’ll be seeing some amazing beds in the near future.  I might even have him make some wood statues just for something different.  He might be able to do some interesting things with the new woods from the depths. 

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Malachite, 313

The new metalworks are just about ready to be commissioned.  I’ve got our engravers going over the magma channel to check for cracks before we open the floodgates.  The new metalworking facility will have 6 smelters and 4 forges.  Other magma industries will be established in other parts of the fort, closer to their related industries. 

Events of the 13th of Galena, 313

Gisep Dolilthefin was the caravan leader for the humans.  He didn’t understand why his government was refusing to send a liaison, the wealth here was extraordinary but the dwarves refused to trade for stuff they didn’t need.  Still, every year they had come here the dwarves had traded generously, although they had been quite secretive about some parts of the fortress. 

This year was different though.  As usual, Derm the Soulchopper came out to meet them.  He had seen Derm in action a few years earlier and he had the highest respect for both Derm’s skill and for his surprisingly careful attention to personal hygiene.  Many dwarven warriors of Derm’s caliber were coated in the blood of their fallen enemies, but not Derm.  Derm didn’t have a drop on him.  Surprisingly though, Derm had a bandage on his right hand. 

“Greetings once again Derm!” said Gisep.  “I hope the beast that gave you that is well disposed of!” 

Derm sighed, “A bit of bad luck is all.  Word from the boss, the old trading depot is gone.  You’ll have to head to the new entrance this year.  Just follow the edge of the glass roof of the dining hall and then around the building.  You can’t miss it.”  And with that, Derm headed out towards the hills, his squad following close behind. 

Now that was a surprise.  Derm was more talkative than usual this year.  And a new entrance, this should be interesting.  He signaled his merchants and they picked their way across the Death Field of Towersoared and through the gate.  They followed the edge of the dining hall and went around the large half finished andesite building. 

Before them there was a huge arching tunnel leading into the mountain.  A magma filled channel lined each side, gold and marble were up against the wall behind the channel.  Works of art, every one of them.  What’s more, the floor was paved with gold and other metals in a pleasing pattern.

But the real surprise was at the end of the hall.  A deep pit yawned in their path.  There was no other route available except a polished stone walkway that spiraled down into the darkness.  Above the polished dome was covered in drawings and engravings of the early history of the fortress.  This must have taken years.  He smiled and turned to his fellow merchants who were gazing in awe at the place.  “Well everyone, looks like this is going to be a particularly good year for trading.  Let’s hope they’ve rolled out crafts half as a amazing as this place they’ve built.

And thus without hesitation he started the long walk into the depths of New Towersoared, his men following close behind. 

OOC: Iteb is the carpenter who came with our original settlement.  Him and Catten still have grudges with one another.

Also, I recently noticed that Derm goes and cleans himself up as soon as he’s off duty.  Pretty much without fail. 

Regarding the humans, I’m saving the best for the dwarven liaison. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Quite possibly, but I’ll be seeing about rescuing this guy as soon as Runsmith catches up.  It would be very cool to have images of the starting 7 on the throne.  Not sure if we’re going to manage it or not.

@dermonster: Not sure where I’d put a 50 z level statue.  Although I’ve got an idea floating around if you’re thinking just a statue of the axe.  I don’t think I could manage a statue of a dwarf. 

@breadbocks: Nice bit of writing!  It’s reasonably accurate to what’s going on in Towersoared lately.  If it’s for school, my only suggestion would be the same as Tuxman’s.  It might not hurt to give a couple lines of context.  It reads quite nicely though!

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

DAMN!
i didnt expect the spiral stairway to be so damn BIG!
well,my stairway is like a gnome compared with yours:(.
HOW the hell you designated it?
I am a Goober.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 04, 2010, 12:48:34 pm »

DAMN!
i didnt expect the spiral stairway to be so damn BIG!
well,my stairway is like a gnome compared with yours:(.
HOW the hell you designated it?
probably macros, ridiculously complicated dwarfy macros
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 04, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »

@breadbocks: Nice bit of writing!  It’s reasonably accurate to what’s going on in Towersoared lately.  If it’s for school, my only suggestion would be the same as Tuxman’s.  It might not hurt to give a couple lines of context.  It reads quite nicely though!
Thanks. Got a 100% on it. Though Teacher didn't like the usage of "Damn" at the beginning.

As for the giant statue, I think a giant smiley in the middle of the spiral would do nicely.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 04, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

Got two requests today.

1) Just a restatement that I would still like for Syntic to engrave the floor in his room, even if it means that you would have to stop him from doing anything else until he finished.
2) Also, can you give us an update as told from the perspective of someone else in the Fortress. Specifically I'm sure that you are using a program like Dwarf Therapist, so using that program can you find out who the least happy dwarf in the place is and tell us a bit about the place from their perspective. (Note if the least happy dwarf is a claimed dwarf, you've already likely told us why they are unhappy, so aim for using a dwarf that hasn't been claimed.)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:17 pm »

Actually, there are plans in the works for the entrance spiral.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:18 pm »

Events of the 5th of Limestone, 313

Derm the Soulchopper was on the prowl once more.  Those troglodytes would rue the day they caused him to cut his thumb.  He was just walking near a pond at the south west corner of the fort’s land grant when he saw movement in the lake. 

Darned if there weren’t some pond grabbers in the lake.  Derm barely had any idea what they were but they were alive and wild animals here in the caves so they could be dangerous.  He got a bit closer to the pond edge to have a look. 

The creature either didn’t notice him or didn’t care.  Ah well, there were plenty more beasts in the cave, he was sure of it. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Limestone, 313

Lots of stuff going on these days.  The North Industrial hall is almost carved out.  Soon work will begin on digging out another large block of work rooms.  Our engravers and mechanics are working away at finally getting the next phase of the power plant ready to activate.  Moving materials into storage has proved to be an extensive task.  We have produced massive quantities of furniture over the years. 

I’ve begun giving orders to simply install statues in various locations around the fortress.  We can always produce more and it would be nice to have them out where we can enjoy them. 

Trading with the humans went smoothly.  We didn’t buy very many items but what little we purchased we paid very generous prices for.  I’m hoping they’ll bring more of what we actually want next year.  I get the impression that the human leadership is somewhat reluctant to provide full diplomatic contact with Towersoared.   Gisep, the trade leader mentioned something about pressure from the Dwarven mountainhome.  Big surprise.

I told Gisep that I’d have some extra goods for him next year if he could find out anything about what the  mountainhome has against Towersoared.  This is getting pretty ridiculous as far as I’m concerned. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Limestone, 313

Today I saw something horrifying.  I’ve obviously been working in my office for too long.  I finally got a chance to go see the miners at work today.  It doesn’t come up terribly often, they are amazing at following instructions.  Anyhow, I couldn’t help but notice that Ezum Lorbamsebir was crawling instead of walking from site to site.  Her legs were dragging uselessly behind her. 

After getting over the shock of seeing her still working, I went and chased down Michael and brought him back to check up on her.  After a brief chat it came out that she had suffered a case of frostbite while doing some digging on the surface last winter.  I didn’t even know that it got cold enough here to get frostbite, especially this severe.  According to Michael, the frostbite got into her spine and damaged her nerves. 

I’ve asked her to take a few months or even a couple years off to rest herself up in the hope that it might heal up.  She still insists that she’ll take care of a few things around the fortress in the meantime.  I’ll have to be careful not to have dwarves working extensively on the surface during the winter apparently, which means that I’ll have to delay the surface pacification project until next summer. 

Maybe I’d better get out of my office a bit more often.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Limestone, 313

In continuing my tour looking for any other dwarves who have abused themselves instead of seeing a doctor I stopped in at the forges.  No problems here but I was excited to see all the forges were hot today.  Looks like we can start metal work at a larger scale any time now.  Small stockpiles for each ore type have been established by each smelter to improve efficiency.  I’m just waiting for Minkot Voderith to cast a few more gold blocks to build the last forges. 

OOC: Blue injury to lower spine.  I'm not sure she's ever going to walk again.  Impressive that she just kept working away at the mining.  I checked in on the rest of the dwarves, nobody else is injured like this. 

@magmaholic: Hello, glad you like it!  Quickfort was my best friend for this project and for the dining hall as well.  I designed the stairway in Autocad by creating tiles out of a series of arcs.  I then converted the resulting tiles into Quickfort blueprints by hand using the tile counts from Autocad to establish the number of rows and columns for each designation type.   There are only 3 separate designs for the stairway; two different rotations for the double helix and the top floor.  Plus about 10 for the various levels of the overhead dome.  It took the better part of 6 game years of constant digging for my dwarves to excavate it. 

@Scaraban: I believe quickfort actually generates and triggers the ridiculously complicated and very dwarfy macros, so that’s pretty accurate. 

@beadbocks: Glad to hear it!  Mild swear words do tend to make teachers twitchy.  Sorry I missed it!  I don’t think I’ll be putting the smiley in the middle of the spiral, I’ve already got plans for that spot.  However, I think I can find a spot for a nice oversized smiley face!

@Syntic: I’ll have Syntic’s room engraved by the end of the year.  I’ve figured out a method but I need the other engravers to finish up their current jobs right in the neighbourhood of your room.  Then I’ll put them to work in another part of the fortress and put Syntic in a temporary burrow to do the engraving work.

As for the alternate perspective, I’ll see what I can do in a couple updates.  The lowest happiness I’m aware of is around content but I’ll check in on that soon.

@dragonshardz: Yes indeed there are plans!  I’ve got the forges working hard at silver production and I’ve got some rough designs ready on paper.  Well digital paper at least. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:01:29 pm by Battlecat »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2010, 12:54:13 pm »

Hah, well, I ask that you let me finish my designs before you start work on the spiral. I'd like to have some input, y'know?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »

OOC: @dragonshardz:  Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that I’ll be starting before I see your ideas!  I just put together my interpretation of your ideas based on earlier discussions in my design documents to ensure that the space was accounted for in the overall site plan.  Also I was brainstorming construction methods and estimating the material requirements.  The final version will still be created using your designs. 

In all honesty, it’s going to be at least a couple more game years before I can really get this particular project started so don't feel like there's any time pressure.  The recent discovery about the danger of frostbite on my map pretty much eliminates one season from contention for surface excavation.  I plan to secure the mountainside area in the summer of 314 then by 315 we should be able to start looking at planning the construction of the light shaft. 

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »

Cool, cool. Sounds like a plan.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 05, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »

Indeed,indeed.
Why the hell are we using Italicized text?
Well,you can throw me in,ynow.The frostbitten guy seems fit,for i have frostbitten toes.
NO.he is a she.i am not.what dorfs are available?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:25:53 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »

You gonna update to .16, and get gobbo ambushes again?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 118