Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289423 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #450 on: October 07, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

They ARE in. You just need to activate them.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 07, 2010, 07:34:03 pm »

Tuxman came home in a strange mood today. *cough*myteacherisanass*cough*

Tuxman has been possessed!

Tuxman screams: "I need graphite pencils!"

Tuxman screams: "I need parchment!"

Tuxman has begun a mysterious construction!

Tuxman works furiously.

Tuxman has made an image. It menaces with spikes of paper:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All craftsmanship is not of the highest quality, for it is craftsmanship, not craftsdwarfship.

((Das Derm the Soulchopper right there.
Meowth! That's right!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

*Dermonster has admired worshiped unparalleled Fan work lately*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »

Does the helmet remind anyone else of a spider?

Also, it looks like he has a giant eye on his chest. I approve.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »

Does the helmet remind anyone else of a spider?

Also, it looks like he has a giant eye on his chest. I approve.

Well, spiders are sort of a powerful figure in dwarven history, and some cultures or individuals believe you gain strength from your fallen foes... of which Derm has killed GCS's before.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 07, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

And Xest, the giant feathered spider.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 08, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

Events of the 9th of Opal, 313

Comp was working on smoothing the walls of his home when it came.  He was just walking along the side of the lake when a growl echoed through the caves.  He looked up and saw it.   

He turned and hurried towards the main fortress entrance.  Maybe it was time to grab an axe anyhow for clearing out a few trees in the farm area.  Given a choice, he’d rather be stuck in the fort than down in the caves with a killer beast.  Derm might want to handle this beast solo. 

Events of the 12th of Opal, 313

There was no way Derm the Soulchopper was missing this opportunity.  He waited patiently as the secured bridge cycled to allow him access to the caves and he made his way over to the magma pipe.  As he rounded the corner he saw the beast emerge from the lake.  “Hey ugly!” he shouted.  “Come have a taste of my steel!” 

The beast let out a roar of fury and began to run towards Derm.  Derm shouted in kind and charged back.  Derm got in the first blow, shattering the beasts left wing with his first swing.  Then the beast began charging him and pushing him around.  Derm was having some trouble keeping his feet.  Fortunately, despite being off balance, Derm kept blocking the attacks easily with his shield.

But just when Derm thought that the beast wouldn’t ever give him an opening, suddenly he saw an opportunity.  His back was up against a wall from the beast pushing him around.  The beast turned to charge at Derm again, hoping to crush Derm into pulp against the wall.  This time, Derm deftly dodged out of the way, letting the beast slam at full speed into the wall instead.  The force of the impact sent the forgotten beast reeling and it tumbled onto the ground.  Taking advantage of the opportunity, Derm took a mighty swing with his axe . . .

And took the beast’s head off right then and there in a single blow.

Spoiler: Derm’s Recent Kills (click to show/hide)

Derm wiped his axe off and headed back to the fortress to sound the all clear.  It was a shame really.  He was hoping for something a little more exciting than this. Still, another solo forgotten beast kill was nothing to sniff at.  Maybe something more challenging would show up in the future. 

OOC:  That was rather anticlimactic but very cool.  A man made out of coral doesn’t sound too threatening, especially when faced with Derm.  By the way, I did the magma test finally.  Derm isn’t any less vulnerable that any other Dwarves as far as I can tell.  He simply seems to be taking advantage of the skill that goes with 11 years of non-stop military training.  He’s up to grand master shield user now. 

@Syntic: I’ll have to have a look at your engravings later.  I didn’t have access to the game while I was writing this update.  I’ll post a sample of them in the OOC section sometime in the next update.  No masterworks from what I observed but certainly up in the exceptional range. 

Apparently the king doesn’t come when adamantium is located anymore.  I suppose because it’s everywhere now.  I think that he could still be triggered via the economic route but that’s a pretty long road.  As for the Baron, there are specific conditions for him as well but I guess I haven’t hit them perfectly yet.  I haven’t really been trying either, apparently you need to delay your meeting with the liaison until after the dwarven caravan departs. 

@Tuxman: Awesome!  That looks pretty fantastic if you ask me!  Looks like Derm’s waiting impatiently for goblin ambushes and sieges to show up again.  The green glass dome of the dining hall in the background is a nice touch as well!  Thanks for sharing it! 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 08, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »

Derm is god.

Also, Nelara the Funeral of Depth, eh?

A very deep funeral indeed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:12:42 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 08, 2010, 02:55:54 pm »

ha HA I win again!

New idea: Swimming pool. its useful.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 08, 2010, 03:03:24 pm »

ha HA I win again!

Shower possibly? To wash off dorfs? A hall that is one tile wide, floor is grates, and water is falling down it, force dorfs to go through it at some point.

Or would the water not wash anything off?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 08, 2010, 03:26:26 pm »

well, more to stop death by drowning.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 08, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »

ha HA I win again!

Shower possibly? To wash off dorfs? A hall that is one tile wide, floor is grates, and water is falling down it, force dorfs to go through it at some point.

Or would the water not wash anything off?

Doesn't the mist of a waterfall also clean people off? If so then you might not want to force them to walk through a waterfall as that sometimes gets in the way of pathing from what I remember. But if mist cleans dwarfs then a waterfall on both sides of a hallway would create mist all the way across the hallway even for wider halls. Also didn't the dining hall have a planned waterfall in it near the entrance coming out of that bowl? If so then that would hit many of the dwarfs as they enter and leave the dining hall.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »

Ah, I see, then mist would be a better idea.

The design in my head for the mist hallway seems rather large...Unless you do not care about mud.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:56 pm »

Dum de dum de dum...Oh, look, here's a design from Urist Imiknorris!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
How about a two-level pump stack set so that the water... It would be easier with a picture.

z-1
██████
█+████
██████

z0
█+████
█#%>+█
█+████

z1
██████
█_<%_█
██████

█ = wall
+ = floor
<% %> = pumps
_ = open space
# = grate

Just toss a block of 3/7 water in the system and turn it on. Bonus: mist. Also, you can put one every other tile of hallway without having to worry about evaporation.

Just make sure your dwarves are all wearing shoes so contaminents getting dumped on the grates won't be an issue for future bathers.

Don't mind the funky walls, they're actually supposed to be straight.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »

Always glad to be of service.

Now to double it for a 3-wide hallway.

z-1
███████████
████+█+████
███████████

z0
████+++████
█+<%#+#%>+█
████+++████

z1
███████████
█_%>_█_<%_█
███████████

█ = wall
+ = floor
<% %> = pumps
_ = open space
# = grate

Just toss a two blocks of 3/7 water in the system and turn it on. Bonus: mist. Also, you can put one every other tile of hallway without having to worry about evaporation.

If it turns out that mist doesn't clean dwarves, you can simply set the middle floor tile as a low-traffic area.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:25:01 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 118