Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293791 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2010, 08:35:01 am »

I'm thinking you could make Glemt into a mason or induct him into the military.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Timber, 312 

Oh lovely.  The caravan and liaison have arrived.  The brought a goblin siege with them.

Seriously though, they just barely managed to make it through the gate, frantically yelling about a goblin siege on their tail.  Goblin sieges always seem to arrive in the winter.  I wonder if the goblins like the cold or something. 

At least the merchants are all safe inside already.  I suppose Zasit will take care of the meeting with our latest new Liaison.  For some reason they never come back.  Well, the military is on the mission.  I’m sure they will all have fun. 

Derm the Soulchopper was impatient.  The deep caves had been extraordinarily disappointing.  Here he was outside waiting for the rest of the military to arrive and there were goblins right there just waiting to be slaughtered.  Derm decided a comprimise was in order.  “Ok, the rest of you wait here.  I’m going to clean up the first couple squads while we wait for the rest of the military to arrive.”  Before his squad could respond, Derm was off. 

There were two squads.  In the lead about 10 axedwarves and a short distance behind a squad of crossbow wielding goblins.  He charged in and immediately unhanded the first goblins axeman.  Derm took some amusement in envisioning the goblins mental process:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He then chopped the goblin in half and moved on to the next target.  But then the bulk of the axegoblins were around him.  Axes were coming at him from every direction.  Axe moving like lightning, he parried every shot.  Every once in a while, he took a moment to sever a body part, usually at the waist. 

Then the crossbow goblins came into range and the bolts started cascading around him.  A goblin charged at him, knocking him down and stunning for a moment.  Somehow he kept parrying the shots coming at him, his axe almost moving with a mind of its own.  But then a blow from a goblin knocked him to the ground.  He managed to scramble to his feet and clear his head. 

Then, something clicked in Derm’s head.  The goblins seemed to slow down. 

Like a dervish, his axe started spinning and with a roar he blasted into battle, knocking the goblin pikemaster to the ground like a rank novice.  The goblin started to run.  They were running and they weren’t looking back.  Derm moved fast to make sure a few less goblins would make it back to their tower.

He brushed off his axe on the body of the last goblin and walked back to join his squad.  11 more notches on his axe.  Time for the rest of the military to earn their keep. 

Catten’s Fight

Derm nodded at Catten the Boneminer as he came back through the gate.  “There’s a squad of speargoblins coming down the east side of the wall.  Take your squad and show me what you’re made of.”  The hammerdwarf squad will be covering you. 

Catten nodded, gestured to her squad and made her way out the front gate.  Two goblins were racing ahead of the pack. Her squad took them down quickly.  Then the bulk of the enemies were among them.  Catten found herself facing down a goblin wielding a pike.  She swung her sword with great violence, taking advantage of momentary distractions on the part of the goblins as they fought her squadmates. 

Goblin’s were flying apart at ever strike of her sword.  Armor was no match for her prowess and her sword efficiently disabled and maimed goblin after goblin. 

Two kills would be hers for sure.  Then the battle abruptly ended, she heard the shout of orders from Derm.  Axes and archers to the other side of the gate to take down Trolls and Maces.  Swords and Hammers hold your position in case another squad is coming!”

She supposed she couldn’t blame Derm for wanting some more blood.  It was a decent fight for her. 

Adker’s Fight

Once again fighting in support of the axedwarves, Adker let the bolts fly as quickly as he was able.  He still wasn’t as quick on the load as he would like but he was slowly getting better.  One of his shots was right on target for the goblin mace lord but the darn goblin blocked it with his shield.  But the distraction turned out to be fatal as an axedwarf swung into the opening left when the goblin blocked, taking the shieldhand clean off. 

Then Derm signaled the move forward.  There was a group of trolls out in the field.  Adker was running hard to keep up to the axedwarves.  Amazingly, by the time he caught up, the trolls were either dead or running.  Still, he’d made a good try at it!  More practice would be necessary but his skill was increasing. 

OOC: That was just supposed to be a fun experiment.  I suppose I should know better by now.  I don’t think the goblins enjoyed that at all.  There were 20 goblins and they certainly didn’t lay a finger on Derm. At least not enough of one to hurt him.  About a third of them got away but that’s not a big deal.  Everyone else did great as well.

@Urist Imiknorris:  It’s at least three floors tall, it extends right into the roof of the caves.  I’ll have to do some exploratory mining to map the overall extents of the adamantium. 

@Tuxman: No problem at all. 

Your dwarf tends to just chill in her room when she’s not training.  Also, I’ve noticed that military dwarves don’t tend to socialize nearly as much as they did in the past.  It’s a bit of a shame really. 

@Svarte Troner: Done.  It’ll be taken care of officially in the next update or two. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »

Open up the second layer. We skipped it entirely. I will have my trial in the deeps!

Also I am the most badass thing ever.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »

Can I get an image of martini's stuff? Also, how's the throne coming.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »

Derm is the most badass thing ever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »

Negotiations were rather straight forward this year.  On my behalf, Zasit told the liaison that we would pretty much buy every gem that they could supply.  He also told the liaison that we would need more than that.  You see, I just finished the worst case count of gemstones.  Here’s the results of my calculations

One row of this mural will require 88 windows.  Assuming the worst that they all have to be stained glass, we’ll need 264 gemstones to finish one floor.  The dining hall is 18 floors tall with two sides.  Both sides will have window murals.  In the worst case scenario, we’re going to need a maximum of 9504 individual gemstones to build the two murals. 

Granted, I’ve already used green glass and clear glass windows in several places.  I think that will account for about one quarter of the windows maximum.  But it’s still a bit intimidating to see it on paper like that.  In the entire fortress we currently have 649 small cut gems and 1440 uncut gems. 

Ouch. 

On another note, this particular liaison actually mentioned something about the absence of migrants recently.  Apparently the nobles have classed our fortress as a cursed death trap. 

Not sure how they managed to pin that on us.  It’s an absurd charge considering the low number of deaths we’ve had here.  Well the low number of Dwarf deaths anyhow.  Maybe I should be worried about what happened to migrants who tried the trip in spite of the nobility.

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Moonstone, 312 

Well this was unexpected.  Apparently despite our best efforts, water in the decorative channels in the dining hall will freeze during the winter.  I’ve insisted that nobody goes skating because the ice isn’t very thick.  But I think I’ll just take this as an unexpected feature of our hall.

I’m pleased to report that two of the dining hall bedrooms are fully, 100% completed.   Two floors of glass and gem windows are installed and all construction debris has been removed.  The completion of other rooms will be entirely dependant on gemstone availability. 

Funny enough, both rooms belong to children of Asmel and Vucar. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Opal, 312

Work finished today on the bridge to allow Derm the Soulchopper access to the next section of caves.  He’s already on his way down there.  In the meantime I’m going to have our mechanics hook this bridge up to a lever so we can close the access if necessary.  But the exploration has resumed. 

Oh and it took him a while to get to it but apparently Glemt would like to train as a mason.  That can certainly be arranged. 

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Obsidian, 312

Derm returned to the surface today with an report on what he discovered below.  Section of the cave are still inaccessible due to large rock outcrops and the extensive lakes below.  Despite this, he found three more mama pools and a second pillar of adamantium.  Truly the wealth below is extensive.  I've been told that if our miners are careful they should be able to trim off some of the jagged  pieces from the pillar.  The thought of making Derm an adamantium axe does warm my heart more that a little bit. 

I think he was disappointed because there still weren’t any creatures down there at all.  He thinks he may have seen a couple fire creatures down in the depths of the magma pipes but they didn’t seem terribly interested in coming up. 

Personally, I’m rather thankful for that.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Obsidian, 312

On of our woodcutters came up from the caves today and whispered something to Derm.  Derm shot to his feet, grabbed Akmeshitat and charged towards the stairwell.  I went over and asked the dwarf what was going up.  Apparently there are a handful of troglodytes in the upper caves. 

I really don’t envy those creatures right now. 

Derm thinks there is another layer of caves between the upper and lower levels.  He’s insisting that the miners do some prospecting

OOC: I didn’t realize this was going to happen.  Kind of cool though if a bit hazardous.  I’ve set the pond areas to restricted traffic.

@dermonster: I’ll have to go hunting for it, in the meantime hopefully this will amuse you. 
@breadbocks: I’ve posted a bunch of stuff about Martini below.  The throne was unexpectedly delayed by my gem setters joy in hauling stuff.  I’ve since corrected the issue.  We’re starting with a masterwork platinum throne by Mikot Voderith.   

@Urist Imiknorris: And getting more awesome all the time. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2010, 10:04:25 pm »

I want to see Derm best a bronze colossus in single combat. It will happen eventually.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 27, 2010, 02:46:25 am »

I own a dog?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2010, 07:43:54 am »

A bronze colossus WOULD be a true test of my skill.

But we'll just have to see, won't we?

Ha! those trogs didn't stand a chance. There's no kill like overkill, and even then you can add some sort of whirling dervish and make everyone day miserable.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:30 am »

EDIT - wrong thread.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 27, 2010, 04:02:53 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Obsidian, 312 

So passes another year.  I don’t have any big announcements for the party this year, although I’ve included a large amount of design sketches on my fortress maps this year.  This year a lot of industry will be moving down to the new fortress floor. 

I’ll be interested to see if anyone can figure out the future purpose of the designations.

Dragonshardz will be pleased; the entire hillside is included on this edition of the map.  Hopefully it helps him polish up his designs.  I’m quite willing to give him a hand with the details since ultimately I’ll be directing construction. 

Oh, almost forgot to include the ledger.  It’s been a good year. 

OOC: 11 years down.  It’s taken a long time to get this far.  A lot of progress this year, but next year the rest of the fort will finally start to take shape.  It’s time to focus in on making enough space for industries to operate properly now. 

@Urist Imiknorris: I want to see that as well.  Can’t wait for the first colossus to show up at Towersoared. 

@breadbocks: Apparently you do.  I didn’t even notice it in the relationships list when I originally assign this dwarf to you. 

@dermonster: Someday you’ll have a bronze colossus on your kills list.  I’m keeping a closer eye on the caves now; you’re going to get a lot of non-notable kills in the near future.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2010, 06:37:36 pm »

Journal of Catten Ubalmfol

"Battle is fun. A conclusion I came to during the last one I had. We had a spar between me and one of my squadmates. I lost the battle, yes, but the will to win spurs me on. Derm is inspiring, one might say.

Anyway, I was on patrol the other night, by the wall, and I couldn't help but notice two things.

One, the wall was only ten feet high and I could climb over it easily, much less goblins. Secondly, for our prowess as a fortress, the mountains towering above us are as bare as they were when we arrived ten years ago.

I think we should spice it up. The wall completed; the courtyard filled. We could add small houses (for those truly eccentric dwarves), perhaps a barracks (extending into the ground) built into the walls. I don't think we have an official one yet... A towering wall to cover the crossbowdwarves (filled with magma of course) and houses and structures inside the courtyard would be truly magnificent. We might also take precautions about enemies traveling up the side of the mountain.

Maybe we could even build a citadel on top of the mountain, and use it to signal other dwarves. It would be an eternal I'm-better-than-you signal to the mountainhomes.

I must report these ideas to Cog."

((well, consider maybe. I know you're busy with dat industrial sector, but consider these constructions for future projects.
Meowth! That's right!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »

Journal of Dragonshardz Iklistzefon, Engraver

With the release of the updated architectural plans, I can see that my idea will require a good bit of either excavation or infill of the mountain. Still, it was good of Cog to include the mountainside for me, so now I can finish my plans and present them to Cog with the appropriate fanfare...or lack thereof.

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »

Journal of tinreaper

Cog gave me a book on siege engineering and it has been a great help, i have been engrosed in the details and schemeatics while at the dinner tables.

I was so engrosed i did not notice one of the engravers slip the following diagram of my old design onto the table.

It was ohh so funny when i was about to scrunch it up and throw it in the magma duct when i noticed syntic looking in my direction. I just remembered Dwarf law about "defacement of others propperty" and though i'd beter not. least one of the engravers tantrum cause i destroyed their masterpiece.

Instead i have stuck it bellow.

Although, the dog is a good idea. Might protect my sword from others playing silly buggers with it and running off with it.

I think the same engraver has decived for some extra lol's by hiding my sword on me. i'm off to find this engraver.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2010, 01:36:14 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Granite, 313

Nothing like starting the year off with a bit of a fright and a bad night sleep.  It was the middle of the night last night when I heard the screaming.  Muthkat Nomalonam charged out of his room yelling like a banshee.  He charged down the stairs towards the workshop.  I followed and apparently he was struck by inspiration, and didn’t want to lose his train of thought. 

I went upstairs to go back to bed, reassuring several other dwarves he woke up. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Granite, 313

Congratulations to Adker on the birth of his fourth child!  His wife gave birth to their third daughter today.  They have given her the name Kubuk Atisnicat, a fine dwarven name.

Also, on another note, Catten came by my office to discuss the future of the surface of Towersoared.  I really like some of her ideas, particularly considering they actually incorporate some designs I’ve been playing around with of late.  Construction around the new main entrance will be ramping up in the near future.  A lot of other projects including the main defensive wall are waiting on the construction of an obsidian factory.  I envision a black obsidian wall towering over the desert.   

In the near term, claiming the hillside with temporary defensive structures is high priority.  A surface barracks is certainly a good plan and is part of my designs as is a large supply of magma at the surface.  The possibility of a deep magma pump stack is quite high. 

And the idea of a “we’re better than mountain homes” tower is ever present in my minds.  If I can make these plans work it will be truly amazing.  The only idea she suggested that might not work is the concept of “small houses”.  I’m not sure there’s going to be room for anything small.  :)

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Granite, 313

After a great deal of confusion about job assignments, and claims of lost work orders our jewelcrafters have finally gotten started on the throne project.  It’s a good thing this wasn’t critical to the future of our fortress or I’d be a bit choked.  The masterwork platinum throne was christened with an encrusting of chrysocollas. 

The project will continue, the list of gems to be encrusted on this throne is growing as quickly as the jobs are completed.  This should certainly be an interesting experiment. 

Events of the 15th of Granite, 313

Comp hefted his new pick as he made his way down to the caves.  His four war dogs were following close behind.  He was only supposed to have three but he made the mistake of patting one of the other dogs on the head and that was that.  Cog had recommended a site not too far from the main fortress entrance but far enough that he could avoid other dwarves if he desperately wanted privacy.  He had the very rough blueprints for the start of his hideaway in hand. 

Actually taking control of cave sections would come in the future, making a home would take priority to start. 

As he walked down the stairs, suddenly Derm the Soulchopper blasted by him on one of the other flights.  As he went by, he heard Derm mutter, “more troglodytes, more troglodytes, time to drill, time to die!” Or at least it sounded like something to that effect. 

Well at least the caves would be relatively safe when he arrived Comp thought to himself. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Granite, 312

Today I gave the miners the orders to begin carving out the first series of craft workshops.  When they asked who would get this room, I told them it was for the gemcrafters.  I need to get their materials in a centralized location as soon as possible to help speed up the dining hall project. 

OOC: A little reassurance for breadbocks that the throne project is finally underway.  This is just a starting sample there’s already a lot more stuff on it.  Oh and yeah, I hit the assign war dog button one too many times for Comp.  No big deal really.

@Tuxman: Excellent ideas.  They’re all either added to the list or already there in part.  I like the idea of the barracks built into the walls.  It certainly makes sense to keep the military close to the surface.  Compared with other projects in the past here, the industrial sector is actually pretty small! 

@dragonshardz:  Excavation and infill are going to meet in the middle on that mountainside.  We’ll make your idea work.

@TinReaper: You’re training up fast as a siege operator.  And now with a large supply of wood, you’ll be able to really ramp up training as an engineer soon. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 118