Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I make use of a magma sea  (Read 1429 times)

gazj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make use of a magma sea
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:36:47 pm »

Is it a case of using pumps, to pump my magma where I want it.  Please help!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make use of a magma sea
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »

Yes you can stack pumps to pump it up.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

gazj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »

Lovely thank you,  Lets see if I can manage to make and power some then.  Watch this space

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »

Lovely thank you,  Lets see if I can manage to make and power some then.  Watch this space
I eagerly await the Fun that is sure to ensue.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:32:47 pm »

I find the magma sea a great method of teaching nobles how to swim.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »

How is everyone else getting magma to their magma forges?  I had just gotten the hang of dealing with magma back in the old 40d way and now is DF2010 the magma might as well be completely inaccessible.  I've never built a pump-stack before but won't have a 100 Z-level pump-stack require an absolutely ridiculous amount of power AND utterly destroy my framerate while it's active?  For that matter it seems like it would take FOREVER to build such a thing.

So... is this what everyone else is doing?  Building 100 Z-level pump-stacks?  If so, how do you power them?  Is there a frame-rate hit?  I suppose even if it does kill your frame-rate it should only be while it pumps are active...

Or do you just move your entire fortress all the way down to live near the magma, instead?  How does that work out for you?  What about trade caravans?  Also, what do you do for wood/trees?

...or how many of you are just doing what I've been doing -- trying to live without magma forges by either burning lots of wood for coal or mining as much Bituminous Coal & Lignite as I can, when I can find it...?  I'm just worried what's going to happen when my coal supply runs out and I can't make metal anymore.

--nomad_delta

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

I start my fort by chopping a large amount of trees, which I then use to forge loads of iron corkscrews and pipe sections, then I use them to reduce further need for trees. Also planning on some underground tree farming, my dwarves hate the sunlight. Last fort I built a 35 level pump stack, it was powered by a six wheel water reactor. I gave up on using non physics defying water wheels (channels etc.) when it became clear that the water physics of full water channels is dodgy, making it hard to get full power. Water reactors take just as long to get working so I don't feel like too much of a cheat. 100z level pump stack would take a long time to get working though. Can't really attempt that till you have 100+ dwarves and a decent iron industry, with full food/booze support. spoiler>>Better to have a pit trap set up to catch the FBs that will probably show up when you breach the various caverns on the way to the magma<<spoiler. In the end I tweaked my settings to make the caverns smaller, so magma see starts at about -40z rather than -100z+. Not sure about the frame rate hit. You only need to raise as much magma as it takes to fill the tiles under your forges anyway, unless you want to use it for traps aswell (why wouldn't you though?!). You can turn the stack on and off with a lever (I use hatches in my water reactors killing two potential frame rate hits with one lever).

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »

How is everyone else getting magma to their magma forges?  I had just gotten the hang of dealing with magma back in the old 40d way and now is DF2010 the magma might as well be completely inaccessible.  I've never built a pump-stack before but won't have a 100 Z-level pump-stack require an absolutely ridiculous amount of power AND utterly destroy my framerate while it's active?  For that matter it seems like it would take FOREVER to build such a thing.

So... is this what everyone else is doing?  Building 100 Z-level pump-stacks?  If so, how do you power them?  Is there a frame-rate hit?  I suppose even if it does kill your frame-rate it should only be while it pumps are active...

Or do you just move your entire fortress all the way down to live near the magma, instead?  How does that work out for you?  What about trade caravans?  Also, what do you do for wood/trees?

...or how many of you are just doing what I've been doing -- trying to live without magma forges by either burning lots of wood for coal or mining as much Bituminous Coal & Lignite as I can, when I can find it...?  I'm just worried what's going to happen when my coal supply runs out and I can't make metal anymore.

--nomad_delta

I usually have temp off to stop random dwarfs dieing, so I can make a wooden pump stack. I have miners dig it, and set them to be architects, takes a year but I mean, its magma, so I dont care if it takes awhile.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:15 pm »

How is everyone else getting magma to their magma forges?  I had just gotten the hang of dealing with magma back in the old 40d way and now is DF2010 the magma might as well be completely inaccessible.
My magma forges are down at the magma sea z-level. It's only 40 z-levels away from the surface, that's easily walking distance when I place the sleeping quarters and dining rooms at the centre between surface and magma. I could just build the trade depot lower down but I like doing stuff on the surface (cave adaptation gets in the way of chasing down survivors of sieges) and I don't feel like digging a huge sunlit zone deep underground.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:35 am »

Somewhere around here there's a way of moving magma upwards without pumps, by draining one of the higher bits of magma into a cistern below it's level then caving in a large piston into it, lifting the magma to the top, where it can be used

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:37 am »

I channel magma from prominences at the top, or magma pipes if I find one, horizontally into deep down forge rooms, with bars in the channel to stop unwanted nasties swimming in. It involves moving your entire industry as deep as is physically possible, but who needs the damn surface?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:33:23 am »

First I modified worldgen to only have 1 cavern layer with 30 levels above and then 5 between the caverns and magma layer.   Then, depending on my plans for the fort or my current mood, I will either set up a temporary fort in the upper layers with a burrow for the metalworks down at the bottom, or I will set up a pump stack to bring the magma the 40 or so levels up.  Cutting out the 2 extra caverns and embarking on perfectly flat terrain helps a lot in getting the magma sea closer to the surface.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:27 am »

Somewhere around here there's a way of moving magma upwards without pumps, by draining one of the higher bits of magma into a cistern below it's level then caving in a large piston into it, lifting the magma to the top, where it can be used

The piston method is just too cool not to give a try:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59894.0

I've always set the industry up down at the magma sea.  Shaft next to the staircase for dumping ore and flux down from above.  Beds, food and water so the smelters and forgers can stay put.  The pump-it-up method is just too much work, I'd only ever try it if I had some cool ground-level fortress concept, and for those its far easier to find an embark with a volcano vent.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »

Or try this site? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60021.0 It has a volcano open on the surface (thanks Daetrin). I'm still using pumps there for some cutting edge (for me) obsidian casting tower building but it sure was easy to set up magma forges etc.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »

I just move down there. If the traders want my stuff so badly, they'll come down to me, not make me come up to them!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: [1] 2