Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1598843 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4125 on: March 23, 2011, 06:56:14 pm »

And the complaints were getting more and more common as more updates came out with new content but no new fixes. 

Thats false, each of the release this year and last after the initial .31 release has had bug fixes. With an average of 18 or so per release.

Yeah, I completely forgot that like, every other update was almost exclusively bug-fixing.  I don't know how, since I always waited for the bug-patches to get an update.  But it did seem to me like people were getting more vocal over time, and I'm pretty sure that was just because the hospital bugs staying out of every patch was bugging lots of people.  I expect things to die down a little bit for a little while.

To be fair, mostly the bugs being fixed by those releases were the higher priority bugs introduced by the release that came just behind it. That's why they could come out so quickly. For this release Toady is focusing a lot on the older bugs that have been sitting around the bugtracker for some time.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: March 23, 2011, 07:29:48 pm »

Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: March 23, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »

That would be beautiful. I doubt it's possible in the near future though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: March 24, 2011, 11:39:29 am »

(*) Stopped massive lag from certain ghosts
What caused this bug? I am really interested in it.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »

I am too. Was it pathing, dealing with the removal of the ghost from the unit list, or something else that I can't think of?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:18 pm »

My guess would have to be that some ghosts were using the normal A*-based pathfinding code, but with ALL tiles allowed (including hidden ones), making it incredibly expensive to recalculate.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »

My guess would have to be that some ghosts were using the normal A*-based pathfinding code, but with ALL tiles allowed (including hidden ones), making it incredibly expensive to recalculate.

Why would that make it more expensive? It's not computationally expensive to "pathfind" a straight line. Unless that path fails, obviously.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 24, 2011, 05:09:51 pm »

Don't they still have to evaluate every possible square, in order to determine that they can go in a straight line to their target?
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 24, 2011, 05:10:55 pm »

By "all tiles allowed" I interpreted that as meaning that all tiles are passable, in which case it obviously wouldn't be an issue. I don't know how ghosts move around in DF, though; do they travel through walls and fluids and such?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »

I don't think they can, as far as I recall there was a case of a ghost throwing itself off a cliff repeatedly in an attempt to path to it's body once
*Hugs*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »

A* is a pathfinding method that tries to travel in a straight line directly to its destination unless it hits an obstacle, at which point it then tries to find a way around those obstacles.  In a situation with a wide open area, A* will simply pathfind directly to the destination and be extremely efficient.  In fact, wide open spaces with no obstacles is an ideal condition for A* pathfinding.

A* is only really problem if there are plenty of dead-ends for the pathfinding to go down, realize it's a dead end, then have to path back out, go down another dead end, and path around until it finally finds its way to the destination by trial-and-error. 

Ghost pathfinding (and possibly flying HFS pathfinding) probably did a flood-fill type of pathfinding, instead, which would contribute to the massive lag, since that WOULD involve checking every tile.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: March 24, 2011, 05:25:47 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant I think. All tiles allowed to be checked for a route, instead of just the immediate adjacent non-fluid-covered non-walled non-empty-space ones.

I don't think they can, as far as I recall there was a case of a ghost throwing itself off a cliff repeatedly in an attempt to path to it's body once
Ghosts do travel through walls, floors, fluids, etc. You can see them hanging out inside your walls sometimes, or travelling in a straight line through a mountain.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:12 pm »

Heck, I had a ghost path straight up through solid stone...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: March 24, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant I think. All tiles allowed to be checked for a route, instead of just the immediate adjacent non-fluid-covered non-walled non-empty-space ones.

That is not the difference we're talking about. NW_Kohaku is talking about the difference between something like A* and a basic flood-fill algorithm, although I don't know why anything would use the latter. Hell, something that can travel in a straight line doesn't really need pathfinding at all.

Ghosts do travel through walls, floors, fluids, etc. You can see them hanging out inside your walls sometimes, or travelling in a straight line through a mountain.
[/quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »

That is not the difference we're talking about. NW_Kohaku is talking about the difference between something like A* and a basic flood-fill algorithm, although I don't know why anything would use the latter. Hell, something that can travel in a straight line doesn't really need pathfinding at all.

I can't remember where, but I remember in my searching for material on Pathfinding seeing a Toady quote that said that there is no connection map for fliers in the game.  This is why fliers don't work so well in fortress mode, except for wild animals. Toady said he let them do flood-fill pathfinding and that he just kept their searches short-range to prevent that from doing dire things to the FPS.  HFS pathfinding is probably very slow and causes dramatic spikes in lag specifically because they are using flood-fill pathing constantly.

It's possible Toady just made ghosts flood-fill pathfind entire maps until they found their destination to cut down on how much he'd have to code or take up memory for a secondary connectivity map that includes every tile, or something.  It would certainly explain the massive lag ghosts cause.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 342