Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1600943 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3075 on: January 22, 2011, 11:05:14 am »

We can be pottery traders now.
But I want to be an elf-meat trader!
All! Let Toady hear it!
We want butcherable sentients!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 22, 2011, 11:19:43 am »

That's an easy mod.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 22, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

aye but its still a pain....and realistically you should not be bound by the ethics of your race...during world gen...sure make them follow it...but once in fort you should be able to do whatever the hell you want! maybe when settlements outside your current one are implemented this could be a way to start your own civ or something...when your ethics change from the dwarf standard into your own custom one by letting you choose what to worship and all...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

That's an easy mod.

Not really; you can't use the meat or bones of creatures than can speak no matter what your ethics are. Civilized creatures that can learn but not speak are fair game (as my kobold meat roasts attest to).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »

aye but its still a pain....and realistically you should not be bound by the ethics of your race...during world gen...sure make them follow it...but once in fort you should be able to do whatever the hell you want!

Why? It doesn't really make any sense to allow the player to do absolutely anything they want, unless their own civilization crushes them like bugs for it and you never see any migrants again.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:29 pm »

That's an easy mod.

Not really; you can't use the meat or bones of creatures than can speak no matter what your ethics are. Civilized creatures that can learn but not speak are fair game (as my kobold meat roasts attest to).

Oh. You learn something new every day.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 22, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »

Sure that would be braking a stereotype but such things may work on the basis of one or two individuals but 200+ dwarves have a culture. It would be like eating cats and dogs in Europe or making healthcare free for all in the US (heck even staying at home on sunday in the bible-belt / Bavaria qualifies) - its not forbidden but creates a mayor uproar because we life in a system with more or less defined social and cultural boundaries. 

Before we change a civ in game it would need a robust system of forces that act in favor and against such a change. Religion is important here as well as groups within the civ like guilds, noble factions etc.

Btw. That is again suggestion-land. Why do you keep invading FotF-eria? What did we do to you? Is it the religion? Even thought we have different cultures we still believe in the same almighty toad (and the saint threetoe)!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 22, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »

Btw. That is again suggestion-land. Why do you keep invading FotF-eria? What did we do to you? Is it the religion?

Probably because they don't have updates yet. No updates mean we don't know the immediate future of development, and we already know the not-so-immediate future of development, so there isn't much to talk about.
Some people prefer to talk about everything and nothing rather than letting the thread be silent.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 22, 2011, 05:53:47 pm »

;) i know. its just that some seemingly unrelated suggestions pop up in here. I wouldnt have said something if say we switched to pipes, plumbing and irrigation because we can now thanks to ceramics mass produce said pipes. I have nothing against musing about the future improvements on some new introduced stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 22, 2011, 05:58:13 pm »

Personally, I suspect that, at this very moment, toady is running a game where he builds the pyramid of Giza out of clay bricks.
If you think that Toady plays his game*, you are mistaken. From his comments, dev log and nature of existing bugs I have impression that he embarks on 2x2 map and checks and re-checks what needed until he is happy with result. And never returns to, say, check if next features accidentally broke previous things. Or if this really works always, not only accidentally in one test scenario... or... or... well, results are well known.

Oh boy, I can't wait for 0.31.19 bugs.

* Irony, it burns.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: January 22, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Actually i have the impression threetoe plays the game more often but toady does too. And well there are the beta-beta testers for that matter. Its not uncommon though for game developers to play the game less then the average forumgoer. I mean playing df must be for toady like playing chess for casparov if half the pieces would be missing.   

Proud to be a Furry.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 22, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »

Well, I still have tons of questions about what's been announced.  I suspect they'll be answered by a new release, but I have them none the less.

What will my dwarves be making in their ceramics workshops?

How many intermediate workshops will there be for ceramics from beginning of the process to the final product?

I could see it as a chain of processes such as, clay maker --> potter --> kiln operator, or even more steps for decorated objects, etc...  Or a potter who collects his own clumps of clay from mining and has a kiln in/as the workshop, so the process involves a minimum of 1 dwarf and 1 workshop, like a glass furnace.

Sort of covered in the last question, but how is clay handled in the game?  Workshop product or clumps from mining that are processed in some general "pottery" workshop into a finished piece of pottery?

edit:To clarify that last question, I mean specifically are we going to have "clay" that we can just collect off the ground (like sand) or as a result of mining (clay clumps), or will we have to process some intermediate substance into clay (e.g., clay soil mined into clay chunks made into pottery clay)?  And finally, that also includes how clay is handled as a resource.  Will we keep bins or bags of clay?  Or will it be a pile of clay that hangs around like stone?

Also, I've written and read "clay" enough times now that when I read it, it doesn't look like a real word anymore.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:45:33 pm by drvoke »
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »

I guess that the firing happens either in a kiln or a glass-furnance. For stuff like jugs amphoras and what not i think we could get a pottery whell to speed things up. Still in wonder how many items you can fire at once and how much fuel it would need.btw. My money is on the kiln.

Quoe from Threetoe:
Prepare for ceramics.  You will now be able to construct anything from a   jug to a mighty castle wall starting with simple clay.  You will be   able to make different kinds of ceramics from earthenware to porcelain   as well as fire them with different types of glazes.  Imagine a great   hall filled with your own terracotta army.

It lloks like you can make blocks, some kind of barrel surrogate, buckets, mugs, pipes, idols and statues an various crafts from clay - or so i would interpret that post.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:42:53 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

canius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

[/quote]

Funny. My races ethics are set so i can eat sentient meat and bones as well as their skin. As my numerous elf leather hoods, human roasts and numerous crafts made from them can attest to.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »

Yeah, I think the relevant ethic is MAKE_TROPHY_SENTIENT.

Who predicts/hopes that clay will be infinite, like sand is now? I do.

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 342