Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571777 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #600 on: February 16, 2012, 12:44:27 am »

Hah, has anyone walked into the market in adventure mode yet?  Everytime one of the merchants spams one of his sales messages, the invasion/ambush music plays.  They spam a crap load of messages...

Sounds hilarious.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:45 am »

Also, If you seen new interesting DF2012 messages in logs, post em here :-)

It is raining [randomly-generated awful crap]!
Dwarf, Profession has been found dead, completely drained of blood!
The Stray Yak Cow (Tame) has been slaughtered.

Soundsense was the first thing I thought of when reading that last one, actually - no more Wilhelm screaming when my butchers go to town.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:55 am »

The slime rain sound should be appropriately disgusting.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

Small issue with adventure mode that I don't know if you guys can really do anything about. Merchant spam in the markets causes the music to reset every time you move. You might want to consider disassociating some message/transitions with track changes. Cause those guys never shut up :P

Also, this is my first time really using SS with adventure mode, and I have to say, you guys chose some amazing music. Cheers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Geobaldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:11 am »

Is there anywhere else to get soundpacks for Soundsense as the program won't download any updates and the main site won't load  :(

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #605 on: February 18, 2012, 03:10:59 am »

Is there anywhere else to get soundpacks for Soundsense as the program won't download any updates and the main site won't load  :(

Server got fried, sorry about that.

Uploading pack to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/link/17.bdYwuJtzaM?k=868ed2849075cdc833b39e2a137b0d48&eh=eef4e8f

I have no idea how this link will work, if it can allow multiple people to share or only one, etc...

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #606 on: February 18, 2012, 04:43:49 am »

I am in process of updating pack for new stuff, stay tuned (and send me your logs :-))

Hello!

First, I wanted to thank you for SoundSense, it makes the game SO MUCH more enjoyable!

I have a question, as I kinda liked some of the older songs that got replaced over time.

I was wondering how the song to play was picked.

For instance, I noticed there are always 4 songs per season.
Am I right guessing adding a 5th song will have no effect, but replacing one will?
I do imagine what song to play is determinated by the year%4 result, that's why I was guessing that.

Long story short: Is it possible to add more songs to the playlist for a particular season. Also, is it possible to have a variety of songs for one season (same year), so that they alterate instead of looping just one song?

Thanks so much for your work!

Yes, there can be more than 4 songs per season.

I do not include more because it makes download way too big, but anyone can make their own quite huge playlist.

I think procedurally-generated music would be awesome - especially from the programmer's perspective. The main problem, I think, though, would be to get it so that it actually sounded good - worth listening to for hours on end. Poorly done music of that type has the potential to sound worse than non-procedural. It would also take quite a large number of smaller clips... And I think you'd more or less be forced to enlist the help of DF fan musicians (not that that's a bad thing - might actually be pretty good - everyone helping would be just about guaranteed to be putting their all into it, and that's to say nothing of the potential quality). However, I also kind of like how it is now - I suppose it'd be too much to ask for an option to switch between procedural and non-procedural, if you decide to put it in?

Prodecural music would be alternate soundpack, right now it can be easily achieved by modding soundsense, so no toogle will be necessary.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 18, 2012, 07:03:40 am »

Thank you for this amazing program, it really changed my game experience.

I was wondering: is it possible to create a "city ambient" soundtrack whenever you're in a city?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #608 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »

Allrite, I have barely scratched surface of dwarf modse and only peeked at adventurer mode.

I am keeping my dropbox with pack up-to date ish.

New combat by Tyrspawn is included, stuff like missing pesrons and found dead is sufficiently explored, mists should be pretty scarry, etc...

I was wondering: is it possible to create a "city ambient" soundtrack whenever you're in a city?

I have not discovered any means of doing that as there is no apparent event that you crossed city boundaries.

But there are some events that would add ambience (i.e. cats headbutting, turkeys nesting, dramatic trade shout music.).

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »

Uploading pack to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/link/17.bdYwuJtzaM?k=868ed2849075cdc833b39e2a137b0d48&eh=eef4e8f

I have no idea how this link will work, if it can allow multiple people to share or only one, etc...
Huh, I can't access that on Dropbox. Says the invite was already accepted.
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09:55 pm »

Just a thought.

If you could find a "ambient background conversations" track for the market, that would be amazing. It seems there's only one song set for the marketplace, and maybe it's just the fact it restarts constantly....but it doesn't seem to fit.

Anyone played the Secret of Evermore? There's a level in it where you run around an open air market. The air is filled with the dull hum of conversation, laughter, clinking of metal and coins.....it really feels like a market. Something like that for the DF market track would be fantastic.

Here's a video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDmSUMD32Q
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Geobaldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 19, 2012, 02:14:17 am »

Yeah I have the same issue.  I see no way of searching for anything and the pdf that's in my inbox says it only stores stuff for you personally with no way of sharing with people.  Unless I'm just missing something.

Geobaldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:39 am »

Nvm.  SoundSense is able to update itself again.  Thanks  :)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #613 on: February 19, 2012, 03:32:28 am »

Yeah I have the same issue.  I see no way of searching for anything and the pdf that's in my inbox says it only stores stuff for you personally with no way of sharing with people.  Unless I'm just missing something.

You can share your folders with other people - dropbox allows collaboration.

Problem is that it seems that share link is only good for one person at a time (got notiofication about one guy joining my shared folder). guess you will have to pm me here with your email so that i can send invitation directly.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

SoundSense has really improved the playing experience for me, cheers. :) Was wondering if there's any good player-made soundpacks out there. I want to have a go at making one using the sfx from UO.

Edit: This sure takes awhile.
Edit2: I have no idea what I'm doing.  :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:43:14 am by Caz »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 105