Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 572058 times)

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #300 on: December 27, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »

Is it any easier to install with these new versions? I'm gonna wait to get this until its an EXE or something, thanks... >_< I'm terrible with computers.

It's as simple as a manual install gets. Extract into the right folder and just start it with DF. You need an up-to-date Java version but there's a good chance you already have it and it's a foolproof install anyway. 

And if you can handle Dwarf Fortress then computers shouldn't be a problem  :D

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #301 on: December 27, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »

Is it any easier to install with these new versions? I'm gonna wait to get this until its an EXE or something, thanks... >_< I'm terrible with computers.

It's as simple as a manual install gets. Extract into the right folder and just start it with DF. You need an up-to-date Java version but there's a good chance you already have it and it's a foolproof install anyway. 

And if you can handle Dwarf Fortress then computers shouldn't be a problem  :D

Wait, what? It's that simple? But... The page made it sound like I'd need to use command prompt and confusing tool names and such.  :o
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 28, 2010, 08:59:13 am »

Don't be fooled by the installation part of the page. The problem with it is that it focuses a bit too much on the worst case scenarios (if you read the page carefully you'll notice you only need to dig deeper if something goes wrong), when actually all you should normally need to do is:
1. (If necessary) Download and install latest Java version
2. Extract Soundsense to specified location
3. Run Soundsense when playing DF

And BTW, this part of the page:
Instalation and setting it up can be intimidating task if you are not an IT nerd
Is way exaggerated IMHO. It is in no way harder than installing Dwarf Fortress itself!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:06:44 am by SlimyMarmot »

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #303 on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »

I got it working. And I lol'd.  :D
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »

I'd love to hear some of your guys favorite Urist Quotes!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

Definitely the migrants one. "YES. WE KNOW THERE ARE MIGRANTS. NOW SHUT UP." Of course, I haven't heard nearly all of them.

Is it just me, or does the music stop playing after a while? And shutting it down and reopening it doesn't work for some reason.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2010, 03:27:57 pm »

The one that is something along the lines of "I made a wonderful artifact haha!  I think I'll name it after my mother."  Is my favorite of what I heard so far.

Mostly because the first time I heard it was a child's mood.  The artifact name and the mother both had the same word in their names.  I actually thought there were some deeper checks going on before I came to the conclusion it was just a coincidence.

That was just a coincidence right?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #307 on: December 29, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »

The one that is something along the lines of "I made a wonderful artifact haha!  I think I'll name it after my mother."  Is my favorite of what I heard so far.

Yeah, that one is great.

Is it just me, or does the music stop playing after a while? And shutting it down and reopening it doesn't work for some reason.

Well, shutting it down will not help untill season changes, so that is not really way to fix it.

As far as music stopping by itself, ss inserts small 10/20/30s silence every so often between tracks to let ears rest a bit; also some tracks have rather silent start - notably, "In the hall of the mountain king" takes between one to two minutes to get loud enough to be audible when you have volume down.

You can see what is currently playing in gui under volume slider, i'd bet is will be "10s silence" tracks or hall of the mountain king ...

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »

Huh. Well, it's fixed now.

Also, I have to say that the 'new season' quotes are annoying. Too robotic and such.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »

And mentioned, I used civilized dd-mm-yyyy format :). Damn europeans, eh...
Oh, of course! Why didn't I think of that?  :-[

...also some tracks have rather silent start - notably, "In the hall of the mountain king" takes between one to two minutes to get loud enough to be audible when you have volume down.
Most of the music I like and find to be quite fitting. However, no offense, but I do not care for "In the hall of the mountain king" at all. I do realize that this is an iconic example of 19th century orchestral music. And the name does sound very dwarfy. But the music style doesn't seem to fit the rest. And it's just not to my taste.

...I have to say that the 'new season' quotes are annoying. Too robotic and such.
Those quotes do sound rather odd, especially in how much they contrast with the dwarf quotes about things like migrants and artifacts. However, the way I look at them is this is the voice of "Mother Nature" or some spirit warning them of the change. So I can overlook the emotionless, 'robotic' tone.

Personally, I do not find them annoying. It's actually kind of nice to get some sort of announcement of a change in season. But perhaps you can simply delete these voices from your install? Or would that break something without editing the .xml ?

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »

So far the only things I've found annoying are the "job canceled" event and whatever flutey music that is with the high pitches.  There's just too much job cancellation to make the event anything more than spam (at least until Clean Self is fixed), and that shrill pipe music shreds my eardrums.

Otherwise, Soundsense is a great program!

... the way I look at them is this is the voice of "Mother Nature" or some spirit warning them of the change. So I can overlook the emotionless, 'robotic' tone.

This.  The tone does seem to clash with the Dwarfy nature of things, but I immediately made a "nature spirit" connection to it and went about my business.  It didn't pop up often enough to annoy me, after all.  I'm running at 12-25 fps.  Seasons are long.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2011, 01:56:25 am »

Player can fully customize what is and what is not played by digging into xml configuration and add his own sounds and triggering lines.

Currently we are working on sounds pack...

I want to contribute by collecting and incorporating some sound FX from legitimate sources (i.e.; mostly Creative Commons and public domain). Specifically, I noticed how deaths.xml and animals.xml seemed very lacking, compared with other areas. (The death sounds all seem to be the same irritating sample and there are only sounds for 7 different domestic animals.) So, over the last week I've been collecting and editing some sounds of dwarfy deaths and various types of animals that can be raised as pets.

I've got some stuff mostly done, but nothing I'm quite ready to share yet. But I plan to have something within a week. (Animals I'm working on include alligator, bear, chimpanzee, dragon, eagle, toad, giant toad, mountain goat, gorilla, hydra, lion, tiger, and wolf. Also, some suggested changes to cat and dog.)

Just writing this as FYI and to see if I'd be stepping on any toes. (There's no sense in more than one of us working on the same animals or death cries at the same time, is there?)

Also, to see how far "birth" / "grown" pet sounds in SoundSense could go, I spent hours reading through the creature raws in Vanilla DF. I condensed all of them down to the most important details and derived some statistics:

* Total creatures that can be tamed into a PET: 114
 * Total creatures that are [PET] (that is, *not* [PET_EXOTIC]): 21
 * Creatures that are TRAINABLE: 20
 * Creatures that have [MOUNT] or [MOUNT_EXOTIC]: 27
 * Creatures that can be a [PACK_ANIMAL]: 6
 * Creatures that can be milked: 4

Keep in mind, these stats will change when the next release comes out. (Toady has already stated that a bunch more domestic animals will be added.)

Obviously, whether or not a creature can be made a pet is the most important detail as far as inclusion in SoundSense goes. Also, whether or not a creature is Hunting/War trainable determines whether alternate "grown" sounds are applicable. And sometimes the creature description helps with finding a sound FX that would fit. The rest of the details I included merely for my own use.

If anyone happens to be interested in my "Summary of Pet Creatures in Vanilla DF", it can be downloaded here.

Finally, I question the wisdom of using all those Creative Commons sound FX and music if no attempt is made to provide proper attribution. That sort of defeats the purpose of using open content, does it not?

Yes, attribution does take a bit of extra effort, but not much. A single attribution file with a list of credits for everyone, including the artist's/contributor's name, the type of license, and a link to the source should be sufficient. (Although, a hidden (Spoiler) list of credits in the first post of this thread would be nice.) Heck, I'll even help compile such a list.

I did find an attribution.txt in the 'seasons' folder, but that only covers the seasons. And that's still not correctly formatted as it does not mention the licenses under which these sounds and music were released.

PS: I found two .ogg sound files in the last pack. Does this mean SoundSource supports the .ogg format? And, if so, why aren't we using it to encode most sounds and voices (from the .WAVs)? It seems .ogg gives a smaller file size if encoded with a variable bitrate.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:52:16 am by Thundercraft »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2011, 05:47:02 am »

"I hope they bring cats. I love cats..."
This is a blank sig.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2011, 07:21:39 am »

"...delicious!"

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2011, 07:29:07 am »

...also some tracks have rather silent start - notably, "In the hall of the mountain king" takes between one to two minutes to get loud enough to be audible when you have volume down.
Most of the music I like and find to be quite fitting. However, no offense, but I do not care for "In the hall of the mountain king" at all. I do realize that this is an iconic example of 19th century orchestral music. And the name does sound very dwarfy. But the music style doesn't seem to fit the rest. And it's just not to my taste.

Personally, I do not find them annoying. It's actually kind of nice to get some sort of announcement of a change in season. But perhaps you can simply delete these voices from your install? Or would that break something without editing the .xml ?

You can delete file, it will not break anything in XMLs - just cause nagging error message. It goes for the HOTMK track as well.

So far the only things I've found annoying are the "job canceled" event and whatever flutey music that is with the high pitches.  There's just too much job cancellation to make the event anything more than spam (at least until Clean Self is fixed), and that shrill pipe music shreds my eardrums.

Otherwise, Soundsense is a great program!

Flutey music is either "masterpiece creation" or "manager order was completed."

If you have cooking/bone bolt making on repeat and producing masterpieces, it can be quite spammy, true. Well, if you have different distinctive cue for "manager order completed", I'd replace it.

Player can fully customize what is and what is not played by digging into xml configuration and add his own sounds and triggering lines.

Currently we are working on sounds pack...

I want to contribute by collecting and incorporating some sound FX from legitimate sources (i.e.; mostly Creative Commons and public domain). Specifically, I noticed how deaths.xml and animals.xml seemed very lacking, compared with other areas. (The death sounds all seem to be the same irritating sample and there are only sounds for 7 different domestic animals.) So, over the last week I've been collecting and editing some sounds of dwarfy deaths and various types of animals that can be raised as pets.

I've got some stuff mostly done, but nothing I'm quite ready to share yet. But I plan to have something within a week. (Animals I'm working on include alligator, bear, chimpanzee, dragon, eagle, toad, giant toad, mountain goat, gorilla, hydra, lion, tiger, and wolf. Also, some suggested changes to cat and dog.)

Just writing this as FYI and to see if I'd be stepping on any toes. (There's no sense in more than one of us working on the same animals or death cries at the same time, is there?)

Also, to see how far "birth" / "grown" pet sounds in SoundSense could go, I spent hours reading through the creature raws in Vanilla DF. I condensed all of them down to the most important details and derived some statistics:

* Total creatures that can be tamed into a PET: 114
 * Total creatures that are [PET] (that is, *not* [PET_EXOTIC]): 21
 * Creatures that are TRAINABLE: 20
 * Creatures that have [MOUNT] or [MOUNT_EXOTIC]: 27
 * Creatures that can be a [PACK_ANIMAL]: 6
 * Creatures that can be milked: 4

Keep in mind, these stats will change when the next release comes out. (Toady has already stated that a bunch more domestic animals will be added.)

Obviously, whether or not a creature can be made a pet is the most important detail as far as inclusion in SoundSense goes. Also, whether or not a creature is Hunting/War trainable determines whether alternate "grown" sounds are applicable. And sometimes the creature description helps with finding a sound FX that would fit. The rest of the details I included merely for my own use.

If anyone happens to be interested in my "Summary of Creature RAWs in Vanilla DF" it can be downloaded here.

Finally, I question the wisdom of using all those Creative Commons sound FX and music if no attempt is made to provide proper attribution. That sort of defeats the purpose of using open content, does it not?

Yes, attribution does take a bit of extra effort, but not much. A single attribution file with a list of credits for everyone, including the artist's/contributor's name, the type of license, and a link to the source should be sufficient. (Although, a hidden (Spoiler) list of credits in the first post of this thread would be nice.) Heck, I'll even help compile such a list.

I did find an attribution.txt in the 'seasons' folder, but that only covers the seasons. And that's still not correctly formatted as it does not mention the licenses under which these sounds and music were released.

PS: I found two .ogg sound files in the last pack. Does this mean SoundSource supports the .ogg format? And, if so, why aren't we using it to encode most sounds and voices (from the .WAVs)? It seems .ogg gives a smaller file size if encoded with a variable bitrate.

Animals are quite raw - mostly because it is not really fun job to find "cow does moo" sounds for aligators. Deaths could use some work too but in the end, Wilhelm scream works quite well at being recognizable "oh crap, someone died" so there is no pressure.

Feel free to expand both, of course.

There is issue with deaths as slaughtering animals provides exactly same message as common combat death, just FYI before you become too creative with that part.

---

As for attribution - all of the samples can be easily traced to source, there are comments in xmls and mp3 files have source url in id3 tag. Yep, "proper" listing of licences/authors/sources is needed, but as you said, it is extra effort. If you want to make it your project, go ahead, I will appreciate it.

In fact, all of it (directory structure, sound distribution in xmls, etc) could use some restructuing, but that is going to be my project.

---

Yes, ogg files are supported. As are plain wavs and bunch of ther stuff. They are not used because mp3 gain program used to normalize sound volume does not work with this format.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 105