Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: CompCent  (Read 22157 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: CompCent
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:53 pm »

"Also make a few drones equipped with non-lethal weapons. It would be extremely beneficial if we could capture one of these humans to interrogate them. I'm not sure shat sort of non-lethal attack could penetrate that armor though... perhaps a gun that fires a specialized nanobot, one that could dig through the armor before injecting tranquilizer."
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2010, 12:59:46 pm »

"Well if the armor is conductive we could just fit a 3 million volt taser on a drone to attack them with and pick them up while they're unconscious."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:01:27 am by Phantom »

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:49 pm »

"Nice to see that others agree that we should capture some humans."
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »

Seeing some consensus at last, CompCent decides to delay wiping out the creative sub-processes and starting a new batch. The suggestion to capture some humans was a good one, and one it was not capable of formulating on its own.

"Conductive properties of armor are low, but many humans of the Empire do not wear head protection in favor of 'looking their enemy in the eye'. Drones will be fabricated, a raid on the enemy camp commences."

Code: [Select]
BattleComp reporting

Attack planning initiated

Objective: Capture live subjects (2-4) - Preference of higher rank
Refitting drones with ablative armor, plasma screens, nonlethal tasers

Attack commencing

Through the drone cameras (A video window pops up from BattleComp, how thoughtful) you watch as a few dozen large drones stomp across the radiated wasteland you have created. They reach the edge of what used to be a swamp and the enemy base comes into view. It has a low earthen wall around the outside, and within you see three buildings of unidentifiable (for now) purpose. Off to one side you see what looks like an landing pad. No enemy armor is here, but there are quite a few of the soldiers you have seen before.

As the drones come into view, the defenders fall into defensive positions with a smooth precision that is almost chilling to watch. They do not fear the drones, and they are obviously veterans of warfare.

Defensive fire erupts as the drones close the distance. The new shields hold against the plasma weaponry, but here and there missiles and kinetic cannon are also in use and several drones fall before reaching the defensive line.

The fallen hulks begin to self-destruct, melting down into slag to prevent anyone from using their technology.

As the surviving drones finally reach the defensive line, shields sparking as they deflect incoming fire, they finally reach a range at which they can fire back.

Emitters rise from their bodies and brilliant arcs of power crack across the air, connecting all of the drones in a massive electrical circuit. Immediately, unshielded electronics shut down from the overload as an EMP washes across the enemy. Firearms stop working, automated defenses grind in their turret houses before shutting down and smoking. Then the drones release the arc, and electricity stabs out across the base.

The front-line defenders are incinerated, their armor slagged, their munitions ignited. Secondary explosions rip across the base, shattering the defensive wall, and the drones march in.

Now single combat erupts. Individual soldiers charge the drones with strange hand weapons, swords with chainsaw blades and hammers which pulse with power. A few more drones are felled and melted, but more yet incapacitate their foes.

Those with prisoners quickly gather them into internal compartments, restraining them with metal bolts driven through wrists and ankles. Amazingly, though obviously painful, this does not deter the prisoners and they continue to struggle. The drones with prisoners, five in total, activate hidden systems and separate from their walking chassis. Their bodies rocket away, carrying their cargo back to the ship as the remaining drones attempt to do as much damage as possible.

Free now from the burden of taking prisoners, the remaining drones open up with their own impressive arsenal. It is not long before the base is a smoking ruin.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2010, 04:41:59 pm »

It's... It's... Space Marines! :o

"We should begin questioning the prisoners. We need to know why they attacked us without even trying to communicate, and if they know anything about the anomaly or our crash landing."
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:44 pm »

It's... It's... Space Marines! :o
;D

"We should begin questioning the prisoners. We need to know why they attacked us without even trying to communicate, and if they know anything about the anomaly or our crash landing."

"Interrogation will be conducted by Creative Sub-processes. Subjects are being restrained now, please formulate a list of questions."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »

Questions for the spess mehrens:
1. Why have you attacked us?
2. We came here to investigate a large region of space vanishing, leaving nothing we could detect behind. What do you know about this?
3. Something caused our FTL drive to malfunction when it got close to this area, making us crash land. Did you have anything to do with this?
4. What year is it by your calender?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

it brings up windows showing:
 - all known FTL phenomena.
 - search for any data on life arising in stars.
 - search for anything known about time travel technology.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »

it brings up windows showing:
 - all known FTL phenomena.
 - search for any data on life arising in stars.
 - search for anything known about time travel technology.

(Sorry, missed that. Rather, I didn't miss it... I intended to come back and reply to it, but then got distracted. One of the dangers of having a girlfriend who walks around the house nude I suppose.)

The list of FTL phenomenon is fairly short. CompCent once observed a space-borne life form which was capable of disrupting the specific FTL field emissions used by the ship, and several known stellar phenomenon can interfere with FTL engines but none of these were detected and they are all relatively unique. It seems like each race has developed its own method of FTL travel. CompCent has very little data on the other race's FTL methods. Humans seem to open holes into a different dimension of space altogether, for example.

Life has never been directly observed within a star, but several races have legends about it. Mostly tied to their creation myths or religions.

Time travel, as far as CompCent is concerned, is impossible. There is no information on time travel in the database.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 04, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »

(Wait, aren't most Space Mahreen objects immune to EMPs? And they don't use plasma just huge stuff?)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #295 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:50 pm »

(Wait, aren't most Space Mahreen objects immune to EMPs? And they don't use plasma just huge stuff?)
(Plasma weaponry is a big part of the 40k human arsenal for anti-armor, and nothing says they're immune to EMP. I'm also not importing them directly, but using them as a template/inspiration.)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 04, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

(I was no expert on on 40k. Maybe Luke actually knows.)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 04, 2010, 11:48:41 pm »

Query:
What knowledge do you have of the black field in [sector of the vanishing stars goes here]?
Query:
What is the current date?
Query:
Why did you attack without warning?
Statement:
CompCent belives you, the humans, to be the most likely perpatrators of the missing star phenomanon.
Query:
how do you defend yourselves?
When complete with questioning, terminate humans

(Sorry, missed that. Rather, I didn't miss it... I intended to come back and reply to it, but then got distracted. One of the dangers of having a girlfriend who walks around the house nude I suppose.)
I want your girlfriend, dude. :D Lucky.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #298 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:09 am »

A video appears of a restrained human. To the side you see medical notations and a window tracking his vital signs. His armor has been stripped off, and he is suspended by his extremities in a dark room with a floodlight aimed at his face. BattleComp's booming voice rings out.

"Why have you attacked us?"

-"You invaded our home, and killed our scouts! You attacked us!"

"We came here to investigate a large region of space vanishing, leaving nothing we could detect behind. What do you know about this?"

-"I do not know of what you speak, alien." The word alien is spat from his mouth like something offensive.

"Something caused our FTL drive to malfunction when it got close to this area, making us crash land. Did you have anything to do with this?"

-"No."

"What year is it by your calender?"

-This question gives him pause, and you can see him thinking. "Why would you ask me this? Surely you can keep time."

"What knowledge do you have of the black field in the Alainis cluster?"

-"I do not know what you are talking about!"

"What is the current date?"

-He looks annoyed at the repeat questions and sets his jaw, seemingly determined not to cooperate any more.

"Why did you attack without warning?"

"CompCent belives you, the humans, to be the most likely perpatrators of the missing star phenomanon."

"How do you defend yourselves?"

-He does not answer.

"Terminating subject."

-The human looks surprised for a brief instant before voltage is channeled through the restraints, ending his life in a sizzling pop of burst flesh.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:36 am »

((I was half expecting that we'd landed in the Imperium of Man))

"Commence interrogation of the next subject. Ask:
We came here to investigate a large region of space vanishing, leaving nothing we could detect behind. What do you know about this?
Something caused our FTL drive to malfunction when it got close to this area, making us crash land. Did you have anything to do with this?
What year is it by your calender?
What knowledge do you have of the black field in the Alainis cluster?
Why did you attack without first attempting to communicate with us?

If it comes up, explain that the scouts were killed on impulse by order of the trigger-happy amongst us."
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21