Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 166

Author Topic: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*  (Read 310912 times)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
Re: Spacestation 13 *New Topic*
« Reply #2370 on: December 18, 2012, 01:46:30 pm »

What would be a good server to start on?
I'm just a bit confused.

E:
Started by observing, and i have not a single fucking idea what's going on.

Firstly I should make you aware that I'm a pretty long standing member/admin of BS12. As a result my suggestions may be slightly biased! Hooray.

The options, not counting various offsprings (Apollo Station, Minerva Station, LLA, D2k5 (?)) are as follows.
The Something Awful servers. Known also as Goonstation, because members of SA are Goons, or as Gibbed, because that's what the servers are actually called. You can play here if you want chaos. But not just chaos, a specific brand of chaos that often involves doing horrible things to other people. There's very little RP here. You might find some if you initiate it and the other player is down for that, but it's far more likely that half way through initiating it you'll get murdered, then cloned, then murdered again.  Actually, it occurs to me that the distinctions with which people measure the servers are pretty wrong. Let's go with this scale for now. Goon, at the far left side, are focused on mechanics. If you go to goon you can probably find about a million chemical recipes, bombs, traps, things to discover. Generally things to do , in space. You could, for example, find the recipe for LSD. Then you could turn that LSD into a smoke bomb. That's pretty cool, but then you could put that into a pipe bomb, which you could then give to some random assistant, and then he'll proceed to get high as fuck. Hooray.

Then you have /tg/. Obviously the server for 4chan's traditional games outlet, you'd imagine this to be far more focused on the roleplay. It's fair to say it -is- far more focused on roleplay than Goon, but only because Goon isn't at all. You can come here if you want pretty chaotic fun, with a baseline in light RP. Nothing deep, or super serious, but when there's a blob attacking the station and you've teamed up with the wizard and some friendly aliens to take it down, you'll at least be roleplaying it as it "would be". Which probably means lots of shouting, panic and general death everywhere. This is fun, though, honest. /tg/ may also be the most approachable in terms of community. While goon is pretty decent because they get the most "new people" (or at least, did), I've found /tg/ to be pretty accepting of all people. While goon may ban you for using anime smilies in OOC, /tg/ won't. Probably.

Finally, you have BS12 and I promise this won't be just me trying to get you to come over here. At BS12, you can do the roleplays. You can do the fun roleplays, you can do the serious roleplays. You can do the roleplays where you're a janitor who instead of cleaning actually just steals everything. You can also do the roleplays where you're just a guy who works in space. The only roleplays you explicitly CANNOT do are the erotic and the insane roleplays. This might sound like bullshit to you, because hey why would there be that much freedom when all you've heard is bad things? Well...some of those bad things may have been true in the past. The nature of the internet is that the past is never forgotten. People will remember how things used to be and take judgments from that. We used to be pretty damn strict. I didn't like it. As a fan the of the chaos that is inherent to both /tg/ and Goon, I couldn't get into BS12, even though I was an admin. Having played recently I can honestly say that it's way better now. While there is space for the serious roleplay, and most of our players prefer that, there's still space for the crazy situations that ARE SS13. The overall guideline for BS12 is "If you're not sure that this is allowed, ASK". We have not only a fairly decent admin team, but also a fuckton of moderators who can answer your questions. (any question. even the creepy one).

So yeah. Not sure how good a job I did there, but hey. The main rule with SS13 servers is finding what style you like and then finding a server that suits it. In this case I'd suggest observing a round or 3 on each of the servers (if you have time...maybe just one on BS12), and seeing which you find funner to watch. Then you can make the jump.

Also as a piece of BS12 adminnery: We kinda have a reputation for not being very kind to newcomers. This isn't a true thing. If you come on the server and say "Hey guys I'm new" or whatever, there will be people LITERALLY EVERYWHERE that want to help you. So go for it. If you want.

edit: re : admins being shitty. Not really. A few of us have the whole "I'm going to be a dick" facade. Most of those ones don't go on the server ever at all though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:48:41 pm by Apple Master »
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:19 am »

My main gripe with BS12 is the round time. I simply cannot play 4 hours straight. Well, i probably can, but i'll probably get bored soon. I guess i'll go with /tg/station 13 first, and probably eventually balance between that and BS12.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

BS12 should re-implement the automatic shuttle vote.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: December 19, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »

So, what's everyone's favorite gamemode? Mine is cult.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »

I don't think I'd be any good in cult. I'd get all confused and ask people why I keep hearing voices in my head.

Different ones from usually, that is.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:33 am »

I don't think I'd be any good in cult. I'd get all confused and ask people why I keep hearing voices in my head.
Different ones from usually, that is.
What, you only hear one set of voices?
Lolnoob.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: January 14, 2013, 03:55:18 pm »

Bit of a necro, but we need the bacon after the Christmas rush.

~SNIP~

Most of this is true. Goon for chaos and general fuckuppery, BS12 for srsbsns roleplay to the absolute maximum possible (sometimes to a fault) with /tg/ somewhere in between, but more towards the goon end of the scale than baystation.

It took me a while to get into the game. I started on /tg/, then I heard about the baystation server. After several months of learning, I managed to develop pretty reasonable roleplay and character creation skills. Since then, I have tried goon and /tg/, but they're horrible (in my personal opinion). Goon is pure chaos and very rage inducing. /tg/ feels like a weak imitation of BS12 with just as much chaos as goon, but disguised under a thin layer of bad RP.

So, what's everyone's favorite gamemode? Mine is cult.

I like cult, too. It's lots of fun if you have a full team of good roleplayers. I've had many fun sessions setting up in the mining base and slowly converting half the station, then taking all the heads hostage at once by their direct subordinates.

It's less fun if you have a team of bad or uncooperative roleplayers, or are just by yourself. The later is very frustrating, because you're probably not going to accomplish your goals. Lots of fun can be had trying to convert vulnerable crew members, though. It gives you the power and purpose to cause a little bit of mayhem when necessary. Protip: Threats to family only work on people with a solid backstory.

I sometimes enjoy nuke. It's brilliant when the agents/sec/captain play it well. Personally, I have no trouble with the agents shooting the place up, as long as they RP to some extent. I mean, they're trying to destroy the entire spacestation with everybody on it. What's a little murderboning when your goal is to kill everyone anyway?

As for the polar opposite, that never goes well in my experience. If the agents try to play it peacefully, it's generally ruined by a bad security officer/head of security/captain jumping the gun like they have certain problem during coitus. If they captain/sec play down the appearance of five red-clothed people aboard the station, mass griefing occurs, followed by the well known "OMFG NUKE IS BAD REMOVE FROM CYCLE".

I also feel like blob would be a good gamemode. Unfortunately, the blob is basically a giant ball of jello, with all the same intellect and station-destroying capability of its cup-sized counterpart.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: January 14, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »

I've been banned from Goonserver for 3 years now due to my brother deciding he wanted to play at the same time as me. No warning, appealing on the forums resulted in a "oh yeah your brother played as if we haven't heard that one before"-esque message and a prompt denial.

Simply beautiful to see other servers rising above the Gibbeds in terms of player count.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:48 am »

So. I tried this today for the first time. I may need coaching later. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2379 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:54 am »

Spend two days reading wikis, I think that's what I did ;D

Depending on the server, I find that if you ask and say "this is my first shift aboard a space station" will a little insistence eventually someone will help you out at some profession :)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:07 am »

And being an assistant is great. "What am I expected to do?"
"Uhhhh." -Stabs the assistant in the eyes with a screwdriver-
"ARGHGHGH!!! WHY!!!! MY EYES! MY FUCKING EYES!!!"
Medical droid walks up.
"Hello there, little fellow. Let me stab you in the eyes with this healing syringe."
"ARRRRGGGGGH! JUST KILL ME!!"

This seriously happened to me. I got stabbed in the eyes. That was the major accomplishment of my first SS13 shift.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:04 am »

Eye stabbing is one of the most broken mechanics in the game, right next to harm intent punch to unprotected face.

Assistant is actually my favorite job (along with AI), mostly because nobody pays any attention to you and you're not really expected to do anything. That way I can do whatever gimmick I decide to do - the lack of access doesn't bother me at all, it's not like it's a challenge to get access somewhere... there are several multitools available for assistants, after all.

One round on LLA a long time ago I broke into the Vacant Office in Arrivals and turned it into my own little hub. I grabbed some circuit boards and built a whole array of consoles, including a Communication and Robotics Control as a sort of emergency shuttle call/cyborg shutdown if the AI went rogue. As I spied on the research director in the science department the AI noticed me, though, and chased me through cameras all the way back to my hideout where it called for engineers to break down the walls and take me down.

I didn't actually do anything harmful and still managed to achieve kill-on-sight status (the janitor can achieve this much easier, though) which is really my goal when I play anything other than a head or AI.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »

This game looks interesting, but because of how bad my internet is I need to ask a few questions first-
About how much lag does it take to make it impossible to play a game?
And about how many people are on at 12-4 a.m?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »

This game looks interesting, but because of how bad my internet is I need to ask a few questions first-
About how much lag does it take to make it impossible to play a game?
And about how many people are on at 12-4 a.m?

Byond (the system SS13 uses) is horrible. Even if you're right next to the server, you'll lag very, very badly. You could play with dial-up and be doing just as well as everyone else.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »

I played Space Station 13 from when it got released, the game might sound fun but the admins are really really power-happy, also, Bay12 is crap, you will get banned for killing people as an antag, apparently you can't do that, though you're an antag.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 166