Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16530 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 03:09:56 pm »

I'd immediately invite all the most brilliant economists, sociologists, futurists, politicians, etc. to an extremely long and boring meeting/series of meetings where people who actually have the competence to make the world a better place got to determine what to do next, reaching an unsatisfactory compromise than non the less is the best option in the long run. I'd act responsibly, sanely, and altruistically.

Except you wouldn't be there.

I would build an artificial moon, buy lots of stuff, including broadband internet and a lifetime supply of anything I'd ever need, distract everyone by tossing the rest of the government's money into the air.  While they're distracted, I'd blow up the real moon, launch the fake one into its place, and live there, just chillin'
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 03:13:43 pm »

I'd immediately invite all the most brilliant economists, sociologists, futurists, politicians, etc. to an extremely long and boring meeting/series of meetings where people who actually have the competence to make the world a better place got to determine what to do next, reaching an unsatisfactory compromise than non the less is the best option in the long run. I'd act responsibly, sanely, and altruistically.

Except you wouldn't be there.

I would build an artificial moon, buy lots of stuff, including broadband internet and a lifetime supply of anything I'd ever need, distract everyone by tossing the rest of the government's money into the air.  While they're distracted, I'd blow up the real moon, launch the fake one into its place, and live there, just chillin'
Know what, I change my mind. I would like to do this much more than ruling the world. Except with a robot army, mines and some factories for, you know, building.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:17 pm »

If I was world ruler, I would give all my subjects free Internet access to keep them in brain-dead trances.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

Hand over control to a council of wise men or something, because I aint go no friggin clue what to do...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

Conscriptocracy.  Just say it out loud, let it roll around in your head.  Conscriptocracy...  It's just so cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:25 pm »

I think that delegating tasks is not exclusive with being in command. In fact, likely, a good leader knows when and to whom delegate things, and sets them a path to follow.

For instance, I'd not actually design my pyramid myself. I'd get some architects to make projects following my guidelines.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »

I would try to reorganize the world in some sane manner, convincing everyone that there are enough resources to go around, that science is infinitely more important than war, that money has no real purpose if everyone just spread out resources evenly and maximized production of of goods based on demand, and that gold is a largely worthless substance with only a few uses beyond looking pretty. Soon the many new factories designed by an army of scientists would begin churning out worker robots to allow all of mankind to live their lives doing whatever they wanted, never having to work a day in their lives.

I would be killed by an angry mob before any of this could be done for telling them their money was worthless and that they should all do something productive.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2010, 03:29:51 pm »

I'd end welfare.  If you want to eat, you work.  If you don't want to work, and your friends and family can't provide for you, there is always the government approved suicide box.  If you can't find work, there is always work for the government related to my megaproject.
Ouch. Why do so many people want to end welfare, instead of improve it?

Because welfare promotes more people sitting on their ass instead of helping people who can't work.
so reform it, don't abolish it. Having ZERO welfare would be a terrible system

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »

I'd probably keep the governments we have now without trying to impose anything stupid on anyone, and merely attempt to enforce international law relating to torture, human rights and warcrimes better.  It wouldn't change the world as we know it, but it could at least make it a bit better for some people.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2010, 08:00:40 pm »

I'd end welfare.  If you want to eat, you work.  If you don't want to work, and your friends and family can't provide for you, there is always the government approved suicide box.  If you can't find work, there is always work for the government related to my megaproject.
Ouch. Why do so many people want to end welfare, instead of improve it?

Because welfare promotes more people sitting on their ass instead of helping people who can't work.
so reform it, don't abolish it. Having ZERO welfare would be a terrible system
Well, I guess you could change my proposal to say that Welfare would be reformed by making people do approved volunteer work in order to qualify for the money.

Most people on welfare are perfectly capable of working.  They just have no incentive to do so.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:59 pm »

RE Tarran's justice, pages 2-3

It's like Colbert with Judge Dredd's authority.

"Forget about all these facts and [fingerquotes]evidence[/fingerquotes].  This man feels guilty."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:56:23 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:48 pm »

"Forget about all these facts and [fingerquotes]evidence[/fingerquotes].  This man feels guilty."

Maybe we could have specially trained, psychic masseuses of justice to feel for the guilt.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »

On topic, I like Aqizzar's "conscriptocracy" idea.

I'd also adapt some oldies but goodies:  If a convicted felon is later proven innocent, the judge and/or plaintiff will face the full sentence, including but not restricted to fines, imprisonment, and execution.  That may be expanded to civil suits, too.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

You know, the more I read about the 'ideal governments' people are listing here, the happier I become that none of them are ever going to actually rule the world.

Everybody here has the potential to be a megalomaniacal supervillain.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »

Maybe we could have specially trained, psychic masseuses of justice to feel for the guilt.
That would be incredibly effective! Imagine: Police want to talk to a witness about a murder, the police question him. After the questions, the psychic feels that the witness is holding something back. The psychic would try to get him to confess, and then the witness then confesses to arson! Imagine how effective it would be!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14