Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16503 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 01:31:42 am »

Here's what I would do:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 02:04:56 am »

We're technically still in the middle of an ice age you know.

Also, I never want to be ruled by you. Ever.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 02:08:52 am »

Also, I never want to be ruled by you. Ever.
Then that would mean likewise that I would never want to be ruled by you, ever. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:23:04 am »

beep boop bop *wzzt* mass nuclear death is preferable. *whiiirrrrl*

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:09 am »

You might actually like it if Jackrabbit ruled the world. His disliking your policy doesn't make his own regime any less pleasurable to live in.

I agree with him, though. Living in a world where people are convicted of crimes based on popular demand and/or the emperor's will, rather than evidence?

You haven't thought this out very well either (besides your silly statements about global warming: The end of the last ice age was an apocalypse, herp derp. And the species at risk of extinction is us. Double herp derp). You would decrease funding to intelligence services? No shit, dude, in a world run under one government controlled by you, you would only need intelligence services for internal security. Cutting back on their financing would be a disaster, by the way, since you would almost certainly incur rebellion.

I lol'd a bit at Euld saying "I would remove all dictators".

I think some of you are missing the point of this game. If you rule the world, you don't have to topple any dictators or fight against oppression. You ARE the dictator, and the only one capable of oppressing people is YOU. What are we, beauty queens?

Trying to be a benevolent world dictator would actually be pretty traumatic. You'd have to divide all the world's resources among all the world's people, a feat that's already hard enough to do on national levels. And you'd have to somehow provide for the needs of all the world's cultures. You would have to actually make a lot of extremely difficult choices.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:39:38 am »

Seriously, if I ruled the world, I would lock myself away in an underground fortress with everything I ever wanted and let people forget about me and continue with the way with world is now. Then, once they have, I'd live out the rest of my days as an eccentric old gardener on the old O'Malley estate that you occasionally see pruning the hedgerows on the way to school, you know the one, right guys? Well tonight we're totally going to egg the house, and Toby's (the orphan boy) going to get caught and end up in a heartwarming friendship with the old gardener. Sure, they'll be kinda cold towards each other at first but then they'll realize that in this world, you always need a friend and the gardener (who it turns out owns the estate and is fabulously rich) who teaches him to stand up for himself, fight peer pressure and leave the group, and then he adopts him because he never had a son. In the coming of age movie the whole family can enjoy!

Coming this summer.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:41:57 am by Jackrabbit »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:46:23 am »

You might actually like it if Jackrabbit ruled the world. His disliking your policy doesn't make his own regime any less pleasurable to live in.
Depends, if he is the opposite I am, then I would dislike it.

I agree with him, though. Living in a world where people are convicted of crimes based on popular demand and/or the emperor's will, rather than evidence?
I meant CLEARLY a criminal. You know, the guys who laugh at police, smile in court and such? I wouldn't charge people who are NOT guilty, you misunderstood what I mean by clearly.

You haven't thought this out very well either (besides your silly statements about global warming: The end of the last ice age was an apocalypse, herp derp. And the species at risk of extinction is us. Double herp derp).
The last ice age, yes, I was wrong. But really, are we at risk of extinction? If we were, we would care more. Not casually wait for our deaths.

You would decrease funding to intelligence services? No shit, dude, in a world run under one government controlled by you, you would only need intelligence services for internal security. Cutting back on their financing would be a disaster, by the way, since you would almost certainly incur rebellion.
If people want to rebel, let them. I would let them take my place. If they like the new person, so be it. If they want me back, so be it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 02:48:28 am »

I meant CLEARLY a criminal. You know, the guys who laugh at police, smile in court and such? I wouldn't charge people who are NOT guilty, you misunderstood what I mean by clearly.
So wait, the justice system works on your hunches?

Greeeeeat.

Also, nobody would ever want you back. Ever. That's not really what happens after a rebellion. People still wouldn't want you back, they'd want someone ever newer who isn't going to send people to jail because he doesn't like the look of them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:04 am »

Personally, and realistic, I would likely be a rather horrible but good-intentioned king. I don't think I have the stuff to run a country, much less the world. I don't belive I would be that opressive though, just suck at my job.

Now I know who your avatar was based on.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:08 am »

So wait, the justice system works on your hunches?

Greeeeeat.

Also, nobody would ever want you back. Ever. That's not really what happens after a rebellion. People still wouldn't want you back, they'd want someone ever newer who isn't going to send people to jail because he doesn't like the look of them.
You are misunderstanding me again, seriously, hunches does NOT describe what I mean.

OBVIOUSLY they wouldn't want me back early, but if the next couple of people turn out to suck harder then me they might ask me back.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:59:53 am »

in my world there'd be crime because i would of already killed everyone

edit: they probably wouldn't be able to get you back even if they wanted, ousted dictators tend to die.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 03:01:16 am »

But the thing is, if someone who, in your opinion, is 'clearly' a criminal, you will arrest him and give him a sentence with no trial. The only definition you've given for people who are clearly guilty is "the guys who laugh at police, smile in court and such" so basically you'd be arresting them because they don't act the way you think a person would act in a trial. And, of course, it'd just be a hunch that they were guilty, because our judicial system is in part based around the fact that you can't know for sure, because you know, you can't and if you could then there would be no injustice. If you're just slinging people in jail because they're "smiling in court" then you are convicting them based on a hunch which in turn is based on how they acted.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:03:07 am by Jackrabbit »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 03:06:19 am »

what if they're smiling in court because there's a clown in the jury

what if they're laughing at police they're dressed like clowns?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 03:06:27 am »

But the thing is, if someone who, in your opinion, is 'clearly' a criminal, you will arrest him and give him a sentence with no trial. The only definition you've given for people who are clearly guilty is "the guys who laugh at police, smile in court and such" so basically you'd be arresting them because they don't act the way you think a person would act in a trial. And, of course, it'd just be a hunch that they were guilty, because our judicial system is based around the fact that you can't know for sure. If you're just slinging people in jail because they're "smiling in court" then you are convicting them based on a hunch which in turn is based on how they acted.
Fine, then. Let the guy who smirks in court, insults the plaintiff, and smiles evilly after released go. Not like he did it right?

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 03:10:22 am »

that sounds more like the lawyers on law and order then any real world criminal

maybe the lawyers are the real criminals here?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:12:50 am by subject name here »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14