Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126237 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.24) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2010, 04:19:52 am »

I did some more testing and found a minor bug: creating a gemstone mail robe produces a mail shirt instead.

Also, I still can't get the wizards to equip gemstone armour, even when I assign specific items. The problem seems to be that gemstone equipment is created 'large' for some reason. A quick test with two armour stockpiles, one set to only accept usable equipment, the other to only accept unusable equipment, ended up with a steel mail robe (embarked with that one) on the usable pile, while the large gemstone mail robe I produced locally ended up on the unusable pile.

I assume the 'large' is added to the name simply to denote that the item is unusable. My theory as for why it's unusable is that gemstones are not in the list of materials for which armour tags exist (METAL, BARRED, SCALED, LEATHER). If that's true, a possible workaround could be new reactions to turn gems into metal, bone, scale, or leather, instead of the various individual "make gemstone <object>" jobs.

The custom reaction Armor if I remember right always comes out as "Large" I believe it's a known bug in DF... most people just increase the sizes of the race so they armor fits em if it's through a custom reaction.

Watercleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy World Creations
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:53 am »

Since it's been a month and a few releases since the developer's last post, I may as well ask: Is this still going?

~Watercleave
Highlight of the week:
Fifteen adventurers down versus five enemies...

(My) Stupid question of the weekfive seconds:
What does the "[DAMBLOCK:whatever] tag do?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2010, 05:20:19 pm »

I hope to get enough free time in the coming month to make an update that works with 31.17+.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »

I hope to get enough free time in the coming month to make an update that works with 31.17+.

Where's my "Like" button?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2010, 06:10:01 am »

Wizard Tower .25 is now up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

I'm working on a few more additions but I wanted to get this up so that the mod works with newer versions of DF.  The new sprawl works well, Wizards stick to one ocean-side city while Sorcerers spread out as far as they can around the desert they start in.  The issue of floating cities crashing into the ocean appears to be resolved, but that may be because I haven't yet run into any.

What's in the works:  There's a Witch civilization which is ethically different from Wizards and Sorcerers that is often quickly absorbed into some other civilization.  Also in the works is a Centaur civ hostile to most other entities.  They're item thieves and like fighting and are pretty formidable, even unarmed.  They'll also ambush, but they're limited to wooden equipment and can't use furnaces, and they aren't skulking, so they're less daunting than they possibly could be.

Gemstone equipment is still unusable, a note has been added to the hints file regarding this until I figure something out that works.  Golems are getting added in as laborers for Wizards.  As slow learners they won't readily improve in skill so they're suited to hauling and other tasks that require little expertise.  Finally, I'm trying out an Undead creature with different castes for each sentient creature.  These creatures would be the slave-pets of the Sorcerers.

So that's what I'm up to.  Happy New Year folks, hope you enjoy Wizard Tower!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

I'm working on a few more additions but I wanted to get this up so that the mod works with newer versions of DF. 

This confused me a bit, since I had no problems generating and playing worlds with .18 and version (.24). 

Does this change only affect sprawling behaviour?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.25) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

It would still gen a world, the mod was simply out of date.  The voice modifiers were updated to fit the throat instead of the neck.  Wizards and Sorcerers will build outdoor fortifications now (well the Sorcerers do, I haven't seen a Wizard civ spread out enough to build one), so even though you won't see thir dark towers, their fortresses should be present and filled with sorcerers.  The defunct group number data is removed from entity file, though I don't think that affected anything. 

Prismatic wizards are bigger so they don't get killed the first time they run into a human wanderer.  The adventure mode fireball is out for now,  I forgot to list that in the changelog this version (it would burn forever even if you retire an adventurer and return to the spot years later).

That's all I can think of for now... on the Science! end of things I'm looking at fun stuff to do with night creatures and bogeymen, though right now that's just in the 'messing-around' stage.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2010, 03:31:38 am »

i love this mod so much!
but you keep removing features instead of adding them...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2010, 06:24:22 am »

i love this mod so much!
but you keep removing features instead of adding them...
Thanks!
I only took out what I think didn't add much or work properly.  If I removed something you miss, let me know what it is and I'll post up the raws for it.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.26) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2010, 02:03:13 am »

Version .26 up for download at DFFD.  Here's the changelog:

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

I also have a few screenshots of the big changes for this version, the Undead and the Centaurs.

The undead are considered pets of the sorcerers and they can be found wild in Evil biomes (cave, and mountains for dwarves and goblins, forests for elves, etc.).  I've spent a good deal of time making sure the 'undead effect' is detailed and true to DF, and they should prove a nice addition to the forces of evil in the wizardly world.  Sorcerers are playable now, so you can embark with them (they're the Dark Fortress civ on the embark screen) and mess around to see what they're like.  If you run into them with other races, they'll try to tear you apart like any other undead creature.

Centaurs are item thieves and proud warriors.  They're swift and strong but limited to wooden equipment.  This doesn't neutralize them as a threat, and that lone herbalist may be quickly stomped to death should he discover the prowling centaur on the edge of the wood.  I don't want to say too much about them and spoil the fun!

Prismatic wizards will seek Labyrinths and Shrines and will defend them if intruded upon in Adventure Mode.  I don't yet know for sure if this is going to affect their attacks in Fortress Mode, but I don't think it does.

For the next update I want to make quicksilver and a variety of metal alloys that only the Wizards can make.  I hope everyone enjoys the new stuff, let me know how if any trouble pops up.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2010, 02:40:50 am »

Oh, undead enemies! Awesome!

Are the playable sorcerers mechanically the same as wizards?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:44 am »

damn that's cool.
Also am i doing something wrong or are there only 2 kinds of wand?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.26b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2010, 03:58:02 am »

The sorcerers are similar to wizards, but there are differences in ethics, laws, and behavior.  They have most of the Wizards' abilities and play mostly the same.

There's only 2 kinds of wand at the moment.  I have a few tool wands coming up, and I'll put some thought into more kinds of weapons.

Anyway, .26b is up now, just a quick fix for Centaurs who were missing their hoof body glosses.  I balanced their entity populations too, as they were a bit numerous for my taste.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.26b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:55 am »

i can think of a few wands off the top of the dome...
wand of laceration: edge, moderate contact area and high velocity, very low penetration
wand of blast: blunt, obscenely high contact area but close to no penetration (presumably ignored in blunt weps anyway) and a relatively low velocity (for balance -prevents obliteration)
wand of needle: edge, tiny area with insane penetration and velocity

for shits 'n' giggles, 2 endgame staffs with ridiculous mat sizes to balance out:
staff of obliteration: blunt, high everything
staff of bisection: edge, high everything

finally, as a cheap method you could rename existing weapons to wands such as whip=wand of lashing, but that would be lazy.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.26c) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »

Those are almost exactly the types of wands I had before I took them out.  They were proving ineffective against conventional weapons of the same sort and it would mess up the military screen to have a wand tied to something like Concentration.  I'm going to see how they work with a few adjustments.

.26c is now up, just a couple of last-minute balances to Centaurs who turned out even more badass than intended.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33