Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126212 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23f) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »

The stone made from wood doesn't seem to have a use at all, it can't be used by masons nor mechanisms and the like.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

Thank you.  I'll fix for next version, for now, in the reaction_other_wizard .txt, change this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WOOD_TO_STONE]
[NAME:petrify wood]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMIST_LAB:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

to this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WOOD_TO_STONE]
[NAME:petrify wood]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMIST_LAB:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:PETRIFIED_WOOD]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

Hopefully that should help.

2 items in, 1 item out seems like a sensible exchange rate :)

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »

Playing around a bit (and losing a fortress to a simultaneous invasion by werevolves from above and cave swallowmen from below), I noticed that stone cheese can't be cooked.

Edit: My current fort is in a more peaceful location. I noticed that two wizards were getting unhappy thoughts and cancelling tasks because of "hunting vermin for food". My food stockpile had lots of berries of different kind, rat weed, and even prepared meals. I noticed that both of them were yellow wizards, both male. (I had no other yellow wizards at the time). I finally made some meat, and they ate that. They still refuse to eat their vegetables, though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:42:04 am by Rask »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2010, 06:11:43 am »

Ah hah! so even though it's mainly magic, here's how an alchemist would make wood into stone

Artificial Petrified Wood:
  Artificial petrified wood has been produced in a Washington   laboratory. In the process small cubes of pine were soaked in an acid   bath for two days, then in a silica solution for another two. The   product was then cooked at 1400 °C in an argon atmosphere for two hours. The result was silicon carbide ceramic which preserved the intricate cell structure of the wood. Soaking in a tungsten solution produced a tungsten carbide petrified wood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrified_wood#Artificial_petrified_wood

Edit: Well.. sorta,  don't think alchemists knew about noble gases
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:29:52 am by Kaelem Gaen »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:31 am »

The only way to cook stone cheese that has actual stone matgloss types is to make stone itself edible when cooked.  This is right out, obviously.  The same goes for wooden meats or any other forms of inorganic food that can be conjured up.  The alternative is to create new material types for these food items that are completely edible yet retain the same stoneish/woodish characteristics as the reagent, but this will give you generic "stone cheese" rather than, for instance, "slate cheese."

Tungstun is another metal I'd like the wizards to be able to create and use.  Quicksilver, Chromium, Indium and Iridium are on the list too.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2010, 06:30:58 am »

Uh...

Why not make creature called 'Stone' without biomes but with milk+cheese?

And then, creature called 'Wooden' without biomes but with meat?

Creatures won't (or at least, shouldn't) appear but the game will see the stuff.

'stone cheese' and 'wooden meat' :P

Hey, that's just an idea.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2010, 08:39:50 am »

So, what are you guys using the different castes for?

For me it's:
Grey wizards: mining and alchemy (stone to wood on repeat) because they don't get tired.
Yellow wizards: sword fighters, my anti-forgotten-beast squad, since those things often spread diseases.
Clear wizards: masons and haulers, since they can fly.
Red wizards: magma forge duty
Green wizards: melee fighters, since they are tough
White wizards: guard duty, as they need no food breaks
Orange wizards: siege operators? The "no fear" should help here, but I haven't tested this.

Black, Blue, Brown, Purple: I have not found a use for their particular abilities yet. 

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

I've been mixing and using them all over. I use clear however for herbalism and anything outside however those little buggers annoy me at times, seriously guys, stop leaving all that food and junk all off the walls!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:56 am »

Just saying again, this is AWESOME.

:D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »

I've been mixing and using them all over. I use clear however for herbalism and anything outside however those little buggers annoy me at times, seriously guys, stop leaving all that food and junk all off the walls!

If you want to have them not do that, as dumb as it sounds if the walls are interconnected just place a ramp or other pathmaking thing to the wall (Haven't actually tried stairs yet)  they'll then have a path to fly stuff down  (even though they don't even use the ramp for flying down)  plus you can then have a way to retrieve dropped items

Oddly, I tend you use my Yellows as my doctors since they can't get an infection (And I don't think they have carriers yet).    Greys indeed are mining duty (also they make less beds needed to be made)
I go between White and Clear in adventure mode, Clear's good for overland travel in island maps since you can fly across the oceans,   Whites are my Cave divers/spulunkers, since they don't need to Eat/Drink/breathe, which makes them ideal for the caverns that have water in em... plus they won't starve, or die of thirst (Just cave spiders)

Reds:  Anything firebased,  like the Fire workshop.   
Orange, and black:  Warriors.   
Purple: Scholars (aka Record keeper/Appraiser). 
No real use for brown, Blue and Green yet, though I wonder if the greens would make good hunters....
Word of Cation: NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, put a red as a hunter unless you settled on a tundra or other sparse/barren area... otherwise you'll need to use burrows to keep the rest of them from burning alive XD

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2010, 04:19:58 am »

I played around a bit with gemshaping and found a few issues.
  • When using the manager, there are two identical entries for making gemstone stuff, one will work, one will not. (lava/normal job perhaps?)
  • Gemstone gauntlets and boots are not created as a pair
  • Dwarfs won't equip gemstone armour, though they will equip weapons and shields.
  • Green glass swords are useless - they lightly *bruise* unarmoured camels that you whack with them.
    I haven't tested whether regular gems work better.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2010, 07:46:57 am »

Thanks for the info.  With the gem armor, did you try setting them to individual equip?  I thought I had them wearing it that way some time ago.

I wouldn't think a glass sword would have a very long lifetime, but that's DF for you.  I want to change the way the gemstone equipment is handled, maybe make them ceremonial, but definitely make them different somehow.  Right now they get their combat stats from their material template, which makes them pretty crappy.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:31 am »

I used squad equipment, and when that didn't work, tried to assign the uniform to the dwarf directly. I did not assign him any individual piece of equipment.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.24) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2010, 12:42:34 pm »

I have updated the mod, but there isn't much I can do about the equipment woes.  My advice is to equip them individually if you want them to wear the gemstone stuff, although as far as combat worthiness goes for now, they aren't much better than rocks.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.24) [for DF 31.12]
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2010, 03:20:53 pm »

I have updated the mod, but there isn't much I can do about the equipment woes.  My advice is to equip them individually if you want them to wear the gemstone stuff, although as far as combat worthiness goes for now, they aren't much better than rocks.

wizard cancels spell: interupted by rock.

EDIT: wow, I see what you mean.

Every world I gen all the wizard civs are dead.
Any way to fix this?

EDIT2:
e;ves too  :P

EDIT3:
Humans as well  :-\

EDIT4:
I fail. I didn't know what the red lines meant.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:23:47 pm by eclipsetail »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33