Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126161 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.15) [for DF 31.07]
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 02:05:21 am »

Thanks.  I mentioned something about [NOSTUN] on the creature tokens wiki page for now.

Regarding the relationship between [NO_SLEEP] and [NOEXERT], I honestly don't know.  I assumed that's exactly what would happen: they'd be tired forever, unable to cure their fatigue, lying on the ground forever.  Funny to imagine, but I haven't actually tested it.

Edit:  version 0.16 has been uploaded.  I'm too tired to draw up the guides for the new reactions and buildings, but they aren't hard to figure out, I'll get to it all tomorrow.  Alchemy workshops can transmute stone and wood and back again and they no longer require fuel for their reactions; I'm think of balancing this by requiring two initial reagents for each product, but I'm not yet sure.  Every new reaction related to writing can be handled at a desk, except for paper making, which takes place at a kiln for the time being.  There are a couple new toys and food items too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:54:49 am by SethCreiyd »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.16) [for DF 31.08]
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:11 am »

Wow, this looks amazing. When I have a chance, i'll give it a go.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:48 am »

Looking at the new raws, it appears that blue and yellow wizards have different traits for males and females. Is this intentional?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:52 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2568
Alright, I updated most the gems that had notable properties. Primarily the ones that can be synthesized by alchemists in the mod.
These aren't balanced to the game, but rather to the actual properties of the gems. With that said, because Diamonds dont shatter on impact like they would in real life (They are rather brittle and can be broken with a hammer after all) and I chalked it up to whatever wizards to do shape gems instead of cutting them gives them that extra strength to their structural integrity. The diamonds, especially Clear Diamonds, are kind of a stepping stone between adamantine and steel, leaning closer to Adamantine. Really, it makes sense considering that Adamantine was what diamonds were originally called, historically.

I left out the Bulk Modulu data because it was a pain getting the rest of the data and all the modding notes pointed to those stats being unused currently. Many of the gems, like Opals, I also didnt add the details to, because they are too varied and are about as good as generic stone as far as gear goes, so any weapons or armor made of them are more ornate then effective.

Heres the data on only the gems that were updated. However the link above is the RAW with both vanilla and expanded gem statistics.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also note, that you cant use Gem Gear in the arena unless you add the [IS_METAL] tag, and I left it out because it still should be craftable without it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »

I'm not sure why, but there is some incompatability with this mod and Deon's Genesis Mod version 2.81.

As in, when I install this mod over Genesis Mod, I can't play as the Wizards at all.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2010, 08:07:27 pm »

Is there an error or are they not showing up? They have a tendancy to not survive generation on occassion.
You can check if your world has them by, when the world finishes generating, export an image of it before accepting it then look in the world history pops text file that was generated. I just do a quick ctrl+f and search for wizard. It gives you the name of the nation(s) as well.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »

I have the same problem, they are there, surviving world gen, but when i select to play as them the came crashes on embark or upon selecting adventure mode, I can play as dwarfs fine.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2010, 02:27:36 am »

Say, why is it that Wizards live in towns? Wouldn't dark towers be more apropriate?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:29 pm »

posting because this is awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:46 pm »

Looking at the new raws, it appears that blue and yellow wizards have different traits for males and females. Is this intentional?
  Yes.  Some but not all color-associated traits are carried on the Y chromosome.  In the next update the differences between genders will be more minor.  I decided to hold off on making new guides for reactions and castes until everything is a bit more finalized.  It's all pretty tentative at the moment.

Also note, that you cant use Gem Gear in the arena unless you add the [IS_METAL] tag, and I left it out because it still should be craftable without it.
  That's good to know.  Nice work, too. 

I'm not sure why, but there is some incompatability with this mod and Deon's Genesis Mod version 2.81.

As in, when I install this mod over Genesis Mod, I can't play as the Wizards at all.
  I'm not surprised, I haven't tested this with Genesis yet.  Are there any relevant error messages?

I have the same problem, they are there, surviving world gen, but when i select to play as them the came crashes on embark or upon selecting adventure mode, I can play as dwarfs fine.
  Any error messages?  What version are you playing?

Say, why is it that Wizards live in towns? Wouldn't dark towers be more apropriate?
  Sure, for Dark Wizards.  Speaking of, I'm working on a babysnatcher civ of orange wizards and a couple other castes for a late game challenge.  Right now they're horribly unbalanced.  They arrive sneaking and pick doors, so the entire tower can be infiltrated by orange wizards before they attack.

I gave myself the time to play for a while last night, and all my wizards were murdered by goblins.  I might have nerfed wands a little too much.  I like building a village with houses, well, town hall, and roads before starting on the tower proper.  Towers take work and a while to build and it's easier to manage without the wizards living like animals.  Less insane misery that way.  Aside from that, red wizard fire is less dangerous as it should be, one of my guys spent a good five minutes hurling fireballs at a camel without inflicting a single injury.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

One thing I forgot to bring up. While going through the gems, I noticed that for "Synticize Topaz" You have it creating Topazite. They have similiar names, but are completely diffrent gems, and real Topaz is in the listings. I didnt change it, because I figured it would be more effective for you to change it on your end for one of the updates, but I thought I should bring it up.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:24 pm »

Whoops, thanks.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:18 pm »

Kudos to you, however I'm having enough fun with my semi broken mod myself so I'll probably not try it out, but you have show great skill when it comes to modding(or great inspiration).

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »

Thanks jaked, though I'll have to go with inspiration mundane and divine.  Not to mention, the MagmaWiki is a phenomenal resource that saved me from reinventing the wheel.  And Toady One, of course, for making his game the way he did.  Dwarf Fortress is like a gigantic set of legos that you get pre-assembled.  You can take pieces of it apart or add new ones and reassemble it all in countless ways, and somehow it all fits and stays together, as long as you put the pegs in the holes properly.

Anyway, I uploaded v0.19 to DFFD here.  I've been up all night and I'm too tired to work more.  This isn't polished enough to be ready for the main page, but it's playable, and it needs to be tested.  I'm putting it up so I can download it later when I'm away from home, but the more the merrier.  Once the kinks are all ironed out it'll be ready for version .20 and some fancy new documentation.

In particular, the new 'magic' ranged attacks that wizards use are, for the moment, totally unbalanced and of dubious utility.  I could certainly use a few thoughts regarding how to clean them up a bit.  World gen isn't exactly where it should be, and I have yet to really play through Fortress Mode.  All in all, it needs work, but hopefully it's good for some fun in the meantime.

Edit:  .19b up, still needs some work

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:17:07 am by SethCreiyd »

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

Anyway we can get an update to the changelog, and to a lesser degree to the reactions chart. You mentioned that some of the castes had their abilities updated, Im curious as well as to how they changed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33