Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126156 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.16) [for DF 31.08]
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »

A deflecting wand seems a bit odd. Is there any way to make a different type of object serve that role? Like some sort of shielding talisman, or orb of deflection, etc?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »

I do prefer the sound of "orb of deflection."   :D   It could be expensive to make but provide a lot of defense.  And I'm working on an improved, more complete guide.  A lot of stuff is changing, and I don't want to put up the new guides until I'm sure what the finished state of 0.20 is going to be.  This update is very much a WIP.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2010, 03:14:50 pm »

Is it not possible to have a single wand do all the spells/attacks?

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »

If I remember correctly, theres a ring in D&D3e that creates a force shield, that works exactly like a shield, but your hand is free and the shield doesnt hinder you in any way.

However, Orb of Deflection does sound rocking. :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »

Is it possible to have the item be a piece of armor? Bracers of Armor are a common magic item which create a field of force over your whole body.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »

19c is uploaded.  Need to fix a few bugs and update the cheat sheets and everything will be all set.

I really like the orb of deflection, so I put it in, but it needs to be taken out of the entity list so it won't be made of wood.  Same goes for any of the future "magic items" added in.  They should have hefty requirements to make, to keep them relatively rare.  Churning out magical items at industrial levels should be reasonably difficult to pull off.  Here's a few rough ideas:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not yet sure if many of these would work, or how.  Either way, they're not the top priority, but the whole field is on the to-do list.

Is it not possible to have a single wand do all the spells/attacks?

Sure, it's possible.  I wonder if weapons can use multiple skill tags.  I suspect no, but that would be awesome.  If not, at the very least you need a weapon with the AXE skill for wood-cutting.  I don't know if you can use that same item as a digger, but I don't doubt it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:40:46 pm by SethCreiyd »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:26 pm »

You could introduce a new substance gained from crushing gems and extracting their 'essence' in reactions. You'd gain an amount of 'essence' or whatever you want to call it (residuum?) equal to half the value of the gem and that substance would be used in the creation of magic items.

If you do that, I would also suggest putting in a reaction for wizards to 'condense magic into essence' or whatever which gives only a single piece of this material. It would take longer, but it is a way to get the stuff without using up gems. This substance should be a major component to whatever item you wish to create, along with some actual gems and whatever the item itself is made of (Silver orb?)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »

In the case of weapons, the type of gemstone used will determine the material of the item created, imparting onto it certain properties (syndromes) when utilized in combat.  A few possible examples:

Protecting (diamond):  a shield type item with great blocking stats incapable of melting
Blinding (jet):  Causes instant short-term blindness when striking a foe
Burning (ruby):  Short-term localized searing pain
Felling (topaz): Short-term paralysis of the legs
Hemorrhaging (bloodstone):  Short-term extreme bleeding from the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears
Death (sapphire):  Chance of instant full paralysis, coma, and death if not resisted
Pestilence (emerald):  Inflicts extreme fever, dizziness, blisters, bruises, coughing blood
Famine (moss opal):  Causes extreme nausea and blood vomit in those it cleaves
Numbness (aquamarine):  Causes total body numbness while worn, armor made of this prevents giving in to pain
Sword of Rotting (turquoise):  Necrotizes whatever flesh it touches
Mindlessness (amethyst):  Impaired brain function for short time
Fire-proof clothing:  Just that.[/spoiler]

I'm not yet sure if many of these would work, or how.  Either way, they're not the top priority, but the whole field is on the to-do list.
Well, I don't think we're at the level yet where we can poison standard melee weapons with any sort of ease.

However, if you have a ranged weapon, you should be able to make a poisonous metal with a contact syndrome that melts at a temperature below the target creature's fixed temp or homeotherm temp.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:28 am »

v0.20 is up, with updated documents and everything.  I'm now going to get some fast food and sit down and play though an actual game to reward myself.

You could introduce a new substance gained from crushing gems and extracting their 'essence' in reactions. You'd gain an amount of 'essence' or whatever you want to call it (residuum?) equal to half the value of the gem and that substance would be used in the creation of magic items.

If you do that, I would also suggest putting in a reaction for wizards to 'condense magic into essence' or whatever which gives only a single piece of this material. It would take longer, but it is a way to get the stuff without using up gems. This substance should be a major component to whatever item you wish to create, along with some actual gems and whatever the item itself is made of (Silver orb?)

Interesting ideas.  I have some plans in mind involving the philosopher's stone and some new workshops that are very time-investing to build, but it's all hypothetical at this point.

Well, I don't think we're at the level yet where we can poison standard melee weapons with any sort of ease.

However, if you have a ranged weapon, you should be able to make a poisonous metal with a contact syndrome that melts at a temperature below the target creature's fixed temp or homeotherm temp.

I suspect so, but I'm still going to try.  :)  And I'll certainly look into the ranged weapons syndromes.  Such an effect could be used for the dagger as a sort of "morgul blade" type of one-time use effect.  I'll see which ones are producible and stick with what works.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.20) [for DF 31.08]
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »

A little bump. Plus I've being playing a game with it so far, not done much but I intend to start my tower soon.

Just a few questions too   :-* ;

Can/Are wands be ranged weapons that fire bolts?
Will there be Dark Wizards that siege? I know it says sorcerers but are they a civilization since I can't say I've seen any.
The red wizard is immune to magma, so can he walk through it?
Any possibility of potions?
The magic missile that some wizards have, I assume they are used when the wizards feel like it? They don't seem to use it that I can see against wild animals that interrupt them which would be nice :P
According to Dwarf Therapist, all but one is my wizards is female, which seems odd.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:58:08 pm by Nabobalis »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:34 pm »

- Yes, it can be done, but they'd function exactly like normal missile weapons.  The old "break on impact" tags don't apply to ammo anymore.  A wand could use an ammo that is made of a certain material with the properties Patchouli pointed out, but I haven't tested that far yet.

- Sorcerers will siege.  They generally take longer than goblins to arrive, but they come in force.

- They'll only walk through magma if they really need to, I think.  My only relevant test ended up with the red mage engulfed in magma by a forced fall and he climbed out okay, even though his clothes didn't survive.

- Potions are easy with extracts and whatnot, but whether they're useful for anything is another matter.

- They only use the missiles if they're activated in the military.  Otherwise, they avoid fighting if possible.

- Lucky guy, that one fellow.  The ratio isn't my doing, that's just DF for you.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »

This is so fun. :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2010, 01:45:27 am »

This is a great mod, I have been trying it out for a bit now. I didn't get too far yet, due to my tendency to start in exciting locales, but I can already offer some feedback.

I really enjoy the new options that allow for studying skills. However, I'm also confused by the wand weapons. How important is the Concentrate skill, and what does it actually do?

There are also a few minor inconveniences. Soldiers not getting all of their kills recorded, for example. I wonder if that's a consequence of the wizard's missile attack? Another is custom workshop's appearance changing after saving and loading the game. I'm not sure if that's a common problem with custom workshops right now. Not being able to select the gemstone material for armours in the uniforms menu is also annoying but can be worked around with with good stockpile placing, I suppose. I do miss mail armour, though, as breastplates and greaves don't protect everything. The flying thing of the clear wizards isn't working out so well for me, as they can't use it to do masonry without scaffolding (curses!), and they tend to use it to fly over fortifications and get themselves into trouble.

Edit: also, when testing in the arena, red wizards die in lava.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:31:25 am by Rask »

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2010, 03:14:27 am »

- Yes, it can be done, but they'd function exactly like normal missile weapons.  The old "break on impact" tags don't apply to ammo anymore.  A wand could use an ammo that is made of a certain material with the properties Patchouli pointed out, but I haven't tested that far yet.

- Sorcerers will siege.  They generally take longer than goblins to arrive, but they come in force.

- They'll only walk through magma if they really need to, I think.  My only relevant test ended up with the red mage engulfed in magma by a forced fall and he climbed out okay, even though his clothes didn't survive.

- Potions are easy with extracts and whatnot, but whether they're useful for anything is another matter.

- They only use the missiles if they're activated in the military.  Otherwise, they avoid fighting if possible.

- Lucky guy, that one fellow.  The ratio isn't my doing, that's just DF for you.

Thanks for the answers. Should Sorcerers show up in the civilization tab on the embark screen? If so, I need to start again.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »

I noticed that female thing awhile back with a couple other mods. The reason being is gender is seperated by castes, and Dwarf Therapist sees theres one gender, then any other castes are the other gender.

The flying wizards (purple in older versions, clear in recent) Ive found tend to use flying to minimize the pathfinding distance. There still needs to be access for the pathfinding to work, but they wont, for example, walk around a wall, but instead will just fly over it because its one additional step up as opposed to 10 to go around. I kind of miss the purple wizards now, because they moved rediculously fast and were relatively common. As opposed to the clear wizards, who have 1 gender making their ratio half as often as all the other colors, and cant breed (not that Ive ever had a tower last long enough to have wizards grow to adulthood).

I only get the screwed up Custom Workshops when the raw files get toyed with between save games. It is annoying, but its easy to just deconstruct and rebuild. Thats not a mod specific thing, just how DF reads the RAWs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33