Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699931 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Super fuckin' eloquent Edition
« Reply #46800 on: November 24, 2014, 12:02:26 am »

That's just natural when you can hunt animals. You're going to end up hunting every species of animal to a point where you would drive them to extinction IRL if there's an incentive for it. I was just talking about how the plot is quite "white savior"Ish at points.
Yep, see this:
... Which is what FD was talking about, yes.

It's a textbook example of the whole "White man goes to exotic locale, kills all manner of beasts, instantly becomes focal point of 'good' native society, falls in with sexy local woman, solves all local problems by being a white man (typically by shooting/stabbing them better than natives), becomes immersed in local culture and almost instantly is more deeply affected by its mysteries than people who have lived there for generations, &c." It also has other common points, most notably that the vast majority of the significant players are also non-natives.

Your choice whether it was a straight power-fantasy driven along those lines or a parody of it.

I thought you meant that people spent all their time in game hunting for great white sharks. I certainly spent hours on it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Super fuckin' eloquent Edition
« Reply #46801 on: November 24, 2014, 01:11:01 am »

*punches least favorite students into the sun*
I'd ask for a high five, but then I'd probably get punched into the sun, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46802 on: November 24, 2014, 04:00:44 am »

Note: the vector of vector's high fives is not a pleasant one.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46803 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:35 am »

Its amazing to me how mean your teammates can be to you in a MOBA when you're doing well.  The fact that I'm playing Smite, which is supposedly more casual with a less toxic community just makes me wonder what the other ones are like.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46804 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:54 am »

Jesus hell that freaking word. Why did Riot insist on using that single word for everything they deemed bad? Toxic toxic toxic.

Anyway, every game that has ever called itself a MOBA has advertised a "less toxic" community than others. They all lie.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46805 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:30 am »

Do you just do "entire forum" searches for MOBA and related keywords so you can complain about LoL?

And I didn't hear that from the developers, I heard it from other people.  Although in this case I think "less toxic" means "makes it almost impossible to talk to the other team".  To be fair I've met plenty of decent people here, there's just been a rash of stereotypical internet tough guys lately (one of whom just told me "uninstall Smite please" because that's not been said before).  I think its because I'm getting matched with higher ranked people?  You're not allowed to join leagues until you reach a certain player level, and I'm almost there.  That might explain it.

From what I've heard on the internet, the rough ranking from least to most acceptable is HoN > Dota (as in, the mod) > Dota 2 > Lol > Smite.  I can comfirm at the least that HoN and LoL gave me a much less welcoming first few games than Smite did.  Haven't tried Dota 2, not sure I care for the time investment to get even decent.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46806 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:42 am »

Yeah HoN is definitely the worst one I've encountered (though it helps a little that they made it so easy to ignore other players). DotA 2 and LoL were both better communities, but personally I ended up being a HoN player regardless of the community because DotA 2 just has so many little, easy to do things that they didn't do and HoN did (like range indicators, etc.) and Icefrog has the tendency to occasionally throw balance to the winds, and I hate LoL's whole rune system. (One of my favorite things about DotA and later HoN was that at the start of each game you start on an identical footing with other players, not behind them because you haven't played as much).

From what I've seen most of the other MOBA's tend to have better communities in-game, but from my experience that's usually due to a combination of rather restrictive chat systems or a only allowing predetermined responses ("Good Game!" "Middle is Missing!" "Caution!"), and the fact that being overshadowed by larger MOBA's means that most people who don't outright love them tend to leave for one of the big names.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46807 on: November 24, 2014, 08:11:51 am »

What is a MOBA? I don't know that acronym.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46808 on: November 24, 2014, 08:15:16 am »

New name for the AoS genre of old Starcraft/Warcraft 3 custom maps, mostly. You can check wikipedia for whatever current nonsense is being said on the subject.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46809 on: November 24, 2014, 11:59:41 am »

What is a MOBA? I don't know that acronym.
A very broad description for a very small selection of games. Otherwise Frumple has more details.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: MOBA me? I MOBA you! Edition
« Reply #46810 on: November 24, 2014, 12:41:33 pm »

Alternatively, MOBAs:

You're a dude. Or a dudette. You have, like, powers and shit. Or maybe a really big sword (not compensating for anything, no sir). There's some dudes and dudettes on your side, and some on the other side, set up with even numbers (unless someone AFKs). Lots of little dudes and dudettes are running back and forth between bases getting killed by goddamn everything. For some reason they all stay in the middle of the roads, which is probably fine since there ain't any cars and the alleys are scary as all get-out. You can mug 'em for their lunch money. You can also beat up the enemy dudes and dudettes and get paid for being a contract killer. You can use that stolen/grey money to buy shit out of some asshole's van, lots of illegal military hardware, magic stuff, y'know.

So, like, you've been mugging the little dudes and killing the red-colored bad dudes and dudettes for about twenty minutes or so, and you've got a stash of magic trinkets in your pockets. Now you turn to vandalism and take a sledgehammer to these big statues of dudes that shoot magic and shit at you and your little dudes. Hurts worse than gettin' shot, man. Anyway, you do that for another ten or fifteen minutes until you've broken all of the bad dude buildings except the last one, then your entire team screws up and dies, letting the bad dudes and dudettes vandalize all of your shit and win the game. Not that it matters, 'cause you don't keep any of the shit that you bought or powers that you developed.

Also everyone hates you and everything that goes wrong is your fault.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46811 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »

That's a pretty accurate description, actually.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46812 on: November 24, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »

It still bugs me that Multiplayer Online Battle Arena could refer to a first-person shooter with a deathmatch mode just as well as games like DotA, HoN, and so on. Why don't we call Quake a MOBA? They are both multiplayer, battle arenas, and optionally online. The main distinction is the items and distinct heroes - so why aren't they MOBAWRPGEs?

Disclaimer: I'm mostly being silly. Studying for eleven hours will do that to one.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46813 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:23 pm »

It would be better to just call it a PvP RPG, since this is what it essentially is.
._.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46814 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »

It would be better to just call it a PvP RPG, since this is what it essentially is.
But then they wouldn't get to make up words! ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 3345