Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692129 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Malum In Se Edition
« Reply #45930 on: November 07, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

Where I live, most of the telemarketers (80%) are automated school announcements (which for some reason also go to my prepaid mobile phone, but its a different school district...) or politicians, also robocalls.

We dont get many non-robocall telemarketers...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45931 on: November 07, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

Funny thing is, a pretty prominent (and absurdly expensive, we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars IIRC, in part because of the unusually large sample size) study done in New Haven, Connecticut gathered data that indicated that telephone calls actually had a negative effect (albeit a slight one) in Get-out-the-vote drives, something like -1.6%; direct canvassing resulted in ~+8-9%, and mailing was <+1%. So calling people to convince them to vote/buy something/whatever is, by that research, somewhere in between a wash which wastes money and detrimental.

And absolutely no one was surprised. Except the campaign planners and ad executives who order it to be done because that's how it has "always" been done.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #45932 on: November 07, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »

I ignore/hang up on telemarketers because I don't like tormenting people who have shitty jobs.

In NZ, nobody who actually wants to sell something uses telemarketing or door-to-door sales. We hate that crap. The ones that do are 99.99% scams. In other words, they should be thankful I can't be arsed reporting them for scamminess.

Everyone hates that crap. At least in America, being a telemarketer is a miserable job you only get because it pays a buck or two above minimum wage and you need the money.

The people at the top who are responsible for the service/scam and profiting from it already know their workers are miserable and don't care. Telemarketers are highly replaceable.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #45933 on: November 07, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »

Windows...

DEP is cocking up and flagging CK II as a virus and thus closing it. Virus scan turns up sod all, try to add CK II as an exception like it advises you to. 'This program cannot run with DEP disabled' (at least, according to Windows), therefore it's not letting me do that. Thing is, I don't want to outright disable it because that could potentially cause all sorts of problems if a virus gets on my computer.

I'm getting a little pissed off with Windows. It CONSTANTLY has these bullshit 'You can do this to get it to work. Oh no, not with that program! Why would you want to, anyway?' things all over the goddamn place for NO FUCKING REASON.

join ussss, greatorder

join Linux

come to the dark side
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45934 on: November 07, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »

Depends on how good WINE is. I've heard a fair bit of stuff about it being unnecessarily annoying on occasion.

Well, you try reverse-engineering the windows API without some problems.

Hell, even most windows people who worked on it have no fucking clue what's going on with it.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #45935 on: November 07, 2014, 08:08:45 pm »

join ussss, greatorder

join Linux

come to the dark side

We'll join the Macs before going over to you.

* IronTomato draws a lightsaber

*bsheoowww*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45936 on: November 07, 2014, 08:11:10 pm »

Depends on how good WINE is. I've heard a fair bit of stuff about it being unnecessarily annoying on occasion.
Just... put simply, you're not going to have less problems with gaming if you switch over to linux.

And yeah, recommending a linux switch to a windows person having gaming problems is kinda' like suggesting amputation for a papercut :-\

Right down the clumsy prosthetics, even.

Mind you, you can still, y'know, function. Just... not as well. And occasionally stuff just isn't going to be possible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45937 on: November 07, 2014, 08:18:57 pm »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd probably recommend linux overall if only to get the hell away from MS. And I wouldn't diss it on the net, personally. But it's not something you move towards expecting to improve your gaming prospects or general frustration with getting games to function.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45938 on: November 07, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »

The statement still stands.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #45939 on: November 07, 2014, 08:27:01 pm »

No. Greatorder, you're clinically insane if you're still running Vista.

Come to the dark side.

We have browser cookies.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45940 on: November 07, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

Frumple, I'm running Vista.
How? How have you survived? XP is better then Vista. Hell, 8.0 is better then vista. Please, for your sanity, my sanity and your computers wellbeing, go to wall-mart/similar store, buy a copy of windows 7 and install it. Your computer will run faster, your brain will scream less, and I will be less likely to track you down and do it for you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45941 on: November 07, 2014, 08:36:22 pm »

... vista's actually pretty painless once you rip all the irritating bits out of it and turn everything else off :I

GO's problem with it would appear to be having not done that.

And 8.0 is, in fact, not better than Vista. 8 is a nightmare, vista is merely initially irritating. XP's about on par... definitely better in the beginning, but after the various whatsit packs vista smoothed out a bit. Haven't used 7, so... eh.
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #45942 on: November 07, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »

I've had a pretty easy time ignoring 8.  I hate it, sure, but it doesn't have any particularly negative effects now that I'm used to it.  That learning curve though... alt+f4 on desktop is how you shut it down, the new start menu is going to metro and typing the name of what you want to find, that kind of ridiculousness.  Also removing IE's ability to unzip certain downloads, to make you use metro-based unzipping apps.  Microsoft is lovely.

Also for some reason the processes to bring up task manager and connect to the internet can often freeze for quite a while, and any attempt to click on the taskbar will cause that to vanish until it unfreezes.  Not sure if a Windows 8 specific problem though.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45943 on: November 07, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »

I feel like biting someone right now.

Rather pissed off.

Gave mom another chance for relationship.

She not only wasted it, but she also did it in a way that makes me not really want to bother anymore with her.

Not happy.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #45944 on: November 07, 2014, 10:33:28 pm »

Can't stand 8 personally. Too many flashy things there to do nothing but be flashy, a completely pointless redesigned new home menu, an annoying multitasking system, and the fact that the internet connection list not only takes eons to load, it will actually completely stop working at times, preventing me form even opening it. It'd be great for a tablet, and passable for a touchscreen laptop, but all save worthless for anything else. Certainly pales in comparison to 7.
I feel like biting someone right now.

Rather pissed off.

Gave mom another chance for relationship.

She not only wasted it, but she also did it in a way that makes me not really want to bother anymore with her.

Not happy.
:(
Please don't bite anyone. That usually results in arrest.

Sorry about things going badly with your mother. From what you've said, however, perhaps not bothering would be the best option? Obviously I don't know the specifics, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 3345