Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2716 2717 [2718] 2719 2720 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3704392 times)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Ach, mah sweetbreads! Edition
« Reply #40755 on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:50 am »

I haven't broken a bone, despite my common extremely dangerous situations shenanigans.
Which is one of the reasons there's a story going on that I am a lich and you cannot kill me.
Huh. Guys, is kidnapping a lich a good idea? Now you people need to find and destroy the phylactery.
Shoot, now I wanna write a DnD adventure where the heroes meet a (probably friendly) lich named something like Kamaga'a the Third.

And the quest would prominently feature the phylactery.
Do eet! On the Twelfth Bay!
DO IT.

I am pre-emptively reserving a place in the party.
Even if he isn't doing it, I will reserve a spot, despite [Warning: Heresy follows.] never having played DnD.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Ach, mah sweetbreads! Edition
« Reply #40756 on: August 03, 2014, 01:05:50 am »

Excellent. Now I'll have to see if I can use Remuthra's Ultimate Warrior, or whatever that guy was called.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #40757 on: August 03, 2014, 05:43:04 am »

I was going to write an essay for college why are you making me do a 3 hour prsctice test stahp

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #40758 on: August 03, 2014, 11:19:14 am »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaugh, my dad just told me to go blow my nose, like he does every time he hears something over here that isn't the keyboard, mouse, or breathing.

Man, I wish he'd stop telling me when and how to do that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40759 on: August 03, 2014, 11:26:18 am »

Pre-emptively requesting link.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40761 on: August 03, 2014, 11:36:04 am »

Warning. The following contains talk of the worst maniac of all time, ever.
NOTICE: NONE OF THIS INFORMATION IS VERIFIED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have never been so happy about someone dying.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40762 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:17 am »

Heh. This company I'm working with has completely fubar'd this thing up.

Feast on this morsel of corporate planning.

Data needs to move from an American server A to a Swedish server B.

How does this company decide to arrange this?

First I have to dump the data from server A. Then the owner had to load the data on to an external hard drive, and drive it to his house with his laptop. Connected to this company's secure network, he had to transfer the file to another server in the US, where a tech person for this company would then transfer it to his laptop. From there, this tech person would transfer it from his laptop directly to server B in Sweden.

Note: this was a 37 gig file before compression. It was going to take like 78 hours or more to move the data everywhere it had to go. (At the time of the initial dump, I had no idea we'd be facing sub-sub 1 megabit connection speeds.) So I had to go back to the data file, trim out as much stuff as they could get away with not having for the business to run, then compress the file using 7Zip. I got it down to about 10 gigs. It was still going to take 17 hours to make the first transfer, at a stunning 235 kb/sec.

That was Friday ~8pm.

This weekend I've gotten a series of emails saying that the secure network continually killed the transfer after 8 or so hours, multiple times. Probably because the guy doing the transfer let his computer go to sleep, which undoubtedly pissed off the network's security client. The data hasn't even made it out of the US at this point.

This company's IT security and structure, along with their retardo plan for moving the data, basically completely killed us. The best part? Their IT lead on their side wouldn't give me direct access to the Sweden server until we basically begged him to. And the reason we did the transfer this way was because he believes his laptop was the only one with a direct connection to the server.....despite the fact I was copy/pasting files directly to the desktop of the Swedish server all last week.

So here I am, Sunday afternoon with about 5 hours sleep, trying to get others who are also enjoying their weekends to come in to work to help me save this business. If this even works, I'll still be working probably right up until 8am Monday morning trying to get this shit ready. And the likelihood of that happening is almost zilch.

Lord love you, big business corporate IT. If I had exercised a little more spine, I would have told these guys their plan was unworkable and tried to do things my way. But since we decided to let them handle the logistics of this......we're all now taking a bite of this shit sandwich.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:01:04 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40763 on: August 03, 2014, 01:11:24 pm »

Some asshole ruined my whiteboard drawing. Fucking jerk.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40764 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:47 pm »

Don't you love it when an essential part of your body just borks and it becomes impossible to do a simple, yet very useful, action?

In this case, my left eye just decided that it was going to do something that felt like the entire eyeball had been scatched, and it became impossible to look to the left without my eye tearing up and involuntarily closing. Luckily it only lasted about twenty hours, but it's still kind of worrying.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40765 on: August 03, 2014, 01:29:44 pm »

You know, there are these people called doctors...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40766 on: August 03, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

You know, there are these people called doctors...
...who charge the equivalent of $70 to tell you to buy over-the-counter eyedrops. But I get your point, and I probably would have gone to a doctor if it had stuck around for longer than it did.

Maybe you DID scratch your eye.

That's what I thought, but it's not what it looked like. Alas, no free healthcare here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40767 on: August 03, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »

heilcanada
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40768 on: August 03, 2014, 01:47:54 pm »

The weather's better here. So there. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2716 2717 [2718] 2719 2720 ... 3345