Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693263 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DON'T ROLL A 1 Edition
« Reply #37410 on: May 30, 2014, 05:21:30 am »

I've been rejected from another RtD,I don't know why I bother trying,there's always someone else who creates a more verbose,flowing character sheet then me,I really do try,but it never goes further then 2 lines of text,meanwhile [someone] creates a back story going around 9 lines.

3rd RtD I've been rejected from in a row.
Suggestion: Instead of raging about it--learn from it. Improve your writing and analyze how it goes. You could also talk it over via PMs with the GM on what you could do to improve.

I really don't see how I could improve it,I'm hopelessly uncreative and get a case of writers block before I even start writing.
Try comparing how others write to yours or to reword: analyze how they write--imagine yourself as the GM: what kind of characters would you be after? Ones that give detail or idea to how they are or who they are, or what we call in literature as a 'flat character'?
[There's a link to the Writer's Apprenticeship in my signature--you could browse there for some writing tips]
Note: The orange part is you doubting yourself. Keep trying in writing, expertise is achieved in diligence and understanding of the concept. If Writer's Block, then restart at basics. You see the theme, now think first: What kind of character would you like to be: The Driver, Gunner or Commander of an armored car in a pseudo-realistic WWII Germany theme? Would you like to be a support character and act as a footsoldier or support unit? Anti-tank or anti-armor operative?
Usually people play characters they can suit themselves well into, or whom they are able to detail very well or associate several characteristics of themselves as. Try to imagine how your character would be, then detail them down.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37411 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:04 am »

You could try working out your chracter's motivations first - what does he do, and why does he do it? The 'why' part then develops into a backstory quite naturally, I believe.

Example:

Character: Quiet, stealthy sniper guy. Impressive appearance - huge, lean and muscular guy. Values efficiency, has no problem with brutality, and otherwise keeps to himself.
Why's he a sniper? I dunno, previous job? Either was a military guy or a hunter, depending on setting. Let's go with hunter.
So why did this hunter abandon his previous occupation to go adventuring? Has he always been a jaded cynic? Let's go with 'no', because that's more interesting.
So he used to live with his family in some backwards neck of the woods. They were some sort of minority, though, and one day an angry mob burnt down his house and lynched his wife and three-year-old son. He was out in the woods at the time; when he came back, he drowned the ring-leaders in their own blood. Ever since then, he seeks the death that was denied him that day - only the eternal rest can make his pain go away.

BAM - there you have it: An anti-hero, capable of almost any brutality, but with some residual moral standards, and a death wish.
* Helgoland  glowers at Giglamesh for still not having resumed his RPG.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37412 on: May 30, 2014, 06:06:58 am »

If you like reading (not everyone does) then picking up a couple of 'epic fantasy' novels might help. If I've got the particular genre right, they usually start with a moderately boring protagonist who has to embark upon a great quest. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, books with plotlines a bit like that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

blazing glory

« Reply #37413 on: May 30, 2014, 06:08:33 am »

Maybe I just need a break,my RtD is ending soon anyway,spend a week or two not worrying about updating and I might have some fresh ideas.

I'll take your tips in mind as well,so one of the things your saying is that I might want to make a skeleton of a character and improve upon it?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37414 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:25 am »

I don't tend to join RTDs, since I'm too slow and the players fill up by the time I wake up to check B12, plus there seem to be a trend for an RTD to get abandoned within a week, which sort of pushed me away from that subforum.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

blazing glory

« Reply #37415 on: May 30, 2014, 06:13:43 am »

I don't tend to join RTDs, since I'm too slow and the players fill up by the time I wake up to check B12, plus there seem to be a trend for an RTD to get abandoned within a week, which sort of pushed me away from that subforum.

Yeah,occasionally you can find some RTD's that stick around.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37416 on: May 30, 2014, 06:22:33 am »

* Tiruin slaps Objective with a rainbow trout.
:I
First of all, you're near my timezone and I see many RTDs ready and able when I'm about.
Next, no--that trend usually goes for...minimalists. >.>

Maybe I just need a break,my RtD is ending soon anyway,spend a week or two not worrying about updating and I might have some fresh ideas.

I'll take your tips in mind as well,so one of the things your saying is that I might want to make a skeleton of a character and improve upon it?
Generally yeah :D
You must have an idea of what you need to do before you create it. Then sculpt it out.
If you like reading (not everyone does) then picking up a couple of 'epic fantasy' novels might help. If I've got the particular genre right, they usually start with a moderately boring protagonist who has to embark upon a great quest. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, books with plotlines a bit like that.
^ this too.

blazing glory

« Reply #37417 on: May 30, 2014, 06:30:14 am »

^ this too.

Well I am sorta reading a fantasy series,called Furies of Calderon,(okay the first book is called that but whatever.) done by Jim Butcher,sort of along the lines of what you said,except the great quest part,sort of going along the lines of struggling with being put in a dangerous situation.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37418 on: May 30, 2014, 06:44:34 am »

I would recommend series based on "Dragonlance" or "Forgotten Realms". The characters in them tend to be more vivid than those found in "The Lord of the Rings".

More vivid? Hm, I mean like more... exaggerated. "The Dragonlance Cronicles" has the well established standard types of characters. The honourable warrior, rough barbarian, broody mage etc. Part of making characters I feel is knowing these tropes and using them in interesting ways to create new characters.

Don't be worried about coming up with a wholly original character either. It's pretty much impossible as everything is influenced by other things. Get the base character down and the rest should come from the events you put them through, I think.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37419 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:56 am »

not really a rage but on the topic of RTDs and forum games i am mulling an idea in my head about starting a freeform RP, but I feel compelled to implement some form of flood control without being too much of a control freak, but I have the feeling that #bay12lb irc will be completely useless in giving advice since most of them are biased against freeform rps.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37420 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:05 am »

not really a rage but on the topic of RTDs and forum games i am mulling an idea in my head about starting a freeform RP, but I feel compelled to implement some form of flood control without being too much of a control freak, but I have the feeling that #bay12lb irc will be completely useless in giving advice since most of them are biased against freeform rps.
Man, you really like generalizing us huh >_>
Like, without you even having asked in the first place 'what does everyone think of a freeform rp I'm cooking up?'
Yeeaaaah.
I'm in favor but what does that matter now?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37421 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:43 am »

You could try to do a test version and see how things goes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37422 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:19 am »

Does disliking most of them intensely count as being "biased"?
If so, don't ask me. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37423 on: May 30, 2014, 06:53:00 am »

Man, you really like generalizing us huh >_>
Like, without you even having asked in the first place 'what does everyone think of a freeform rp I'm cooking up?'
Next, no--that trend usually goes for...minimalists. >.>
I smell a divide existing at least.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37424 on: May 30, 2014, 06:53:51 am »

There's a huge difference between freeform rps and minimalist RTDs
Several of which primarily employ the skill of the writer and OP.
Pages: 1 ... 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 ... 3345