Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691827 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32340 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »

Well that was a horrifying wall of text.

Seriously, all I care about is that you can understand when I say something to you. :I You can wear a turban or whatever, I don't care.

Anyway, I'm just holding out for quick-and-easy vocal machine translation. Just wear an earpiece or something and you hear something, it translates.
We should all communicate by handshake. Will solve everything.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32341 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

How else do you expect us to exchange protein strands?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32343 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »

Anyway, I'm just holding out for quick-and-easy vocal machine translation. Just wear an earpiece or something and you hear something, it translates.
That'd be neat but... they'd probably translate with the same level of quality as google translate :X
Why does everyone always assume that future technology will have the same limitations as current attempts? :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32344 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:43 pm »

That'd be neat but... they'd probably translate with the same level of quality as google translate :X
Why does everyone always assume that future technology will have the same limitations as current attempts? :I
Because people apparently expect newer technology to work like technology works already, unless its in scifi. Then you just need enough science (or enough technobabble, depending on hardness) to justify your anything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #32345 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:05 pm »

Because people apparently expect newer technology to work like technology works already, unless its in scifi. Then you just need enough science (or enough technobabble, depending on hardness) to justify your anything.

You know, science fiction used to be about taking the latest advances in science and extrapolating from those once. Now it's fantasy, IN SPACE!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32346 on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »

And yet we still seem to catch up to it relatively often anyway. Kinda' makes you think a lil'. Or start rambling about not!superman.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32347 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:55 pm »

You know, science fiction used to be about taking the latest advances in science and extrapolating from those once. Now it's fantasy, IN SPACE!
There's a Trope for that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32348 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »

I remember reading an interesting piece on how science fiction reflected the mood at the time. The early science fiction novels were written during a time of great advancements, a time when most people had hope and belief in the future. As a consequence science fiction was also hopeful and outlandish - the heroes with fantastic technology, defeating the evil enemies. Now, in an era of mistrust (of governments and other people) and global warming, science fiction is often dark and limited- humanity faces fundamental constraits on what is does, often has to squabble and scratch in underhanded ways just to survive.

Obviously not valid for all science fiction, but I wonder if that does fit the trends through sci-fi? It seems likely to me, with the stuff I've read.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32349 on: February 04, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

I think it may be because current science fulfills like 20% of what science fiction hoped for 30 years ago. It's like how they're still making crime thrillers set in the modern day that ignore things like unregulated wiretapping, cell phone triangulation, gunshot sensors, facial recognition software in cameras, and post-9/11 terrorism response.

I watched a movie the other day where the most wanted guy ever was driving a super duper car at night with his lights off at like 200 mph and he didn't run into anything or run off the road. The police, though they knew his route across the country and knew what he was driving, were unable to set up sensible roadblocks that would require slow weaving through concrete barriers. They couldn't even get a damn garbage truck to block a road. Of course calling in the military or national guard was not even mentioned. And the SWAT helicopters didn't have infrared cameras which would let them spot him instantly and all his cronies coming up in impractical vehicles. And despite armoring such a car being impossible because it would weigh it down too much, the car was immune to small arms fire. It was a damn stupid movie you could enjoy only if you stopped thinking completely, and any appeal to reality would stop the villain instantly.

What I'm saying is the movie wanted to tell a story and in order for that story to happen it needed to ignore science and equipment that we have now. For a sci fi story to work they need to understand what the scientists are trying to say their science means and what are some possible results. How are you going to get audience buy-in for sci fi when you can't write a story with science? Instead all we get is Star Trek style handwaving. Take Firefly: did they use bullets? Sure looked like it. Sometimes. Did the show take place in a galaxy or a single solar system? Seemed to change between the series and the movie.  Was food a valuable and rare thing? When the story called for it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32350 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »

All fiction has to make some leaps of logic to really be entertaining, be they narrative leaps, technological leaps, or other leaps, because reality is sort of boring for us.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32351 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »

But what's happening now would be sci fi 30 years ago.

Like, you know how all the doctor shows have organ-transplant episodes? It's like the adult TV version of a childrens' program having "Opposite Day". It's a lazy way for the writers to pump out one more episode with zero creative effort. What happens when we can grow organs and implant them in anyone? Will they stop doing organ transplant episodes? I really don't think so: they'll just invent some BS reason why THIS patient can't use a vat-grown organ and needs a transplant.

At some point these writers need to start coming up with original ideas. You know a great inspiration for original story lines? Stuff that is happening now instead of stuff that would be plausible as long as nobody has a cell phone and there are no cameras in banks etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32352 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:19 pm »

I could think of a reason for that. The [organ] requires a long time to be grown (probably true), but the patient needs the [organ] before that time, so the transplant has to be done now.

I think they already wrote about what was going on now. I think a bloke called Orwell named it 1984  :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #32353 on: February 04, 2014, 08:17:23 pm »

One does not just [organ transplant] without due acceptance. :P

There are tons of details behind how stuff works. Medicine, even more so.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32354 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:55 pm »

I could think of a reason for that. The [organ] requires a long time to be grown (probably true), but the patient needs the [organ] before that time, so the transplant has to be done now.

I think they already wrote about what was going on now. I think a bloke called Orwell named it 1984  :P
That patient would just die because there isn't an organ available right this very second. People wait on organ lists all the time. Besides there would probably be an organ in a vat in the basement matching his genetics enough to just cram it in and hope for the best.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 3345