Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2077 2078 [2079] 2080 2081 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700158 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31170 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:24 am »

*stuff*
I didn't realize parents like that actually existed.

Yeah, mine were a lot like that, too.
;_;

*hugs both of you*

Edit: Erm..Cmega, only tiny advice I can give is that: If you need support there, we're all open for ya. If they need proof, we can back you up--if you deem it acceptable. Tell your parents exactly what you're telling us here...they need feedback.
Same to Vector..if that's ok.
And on a tiny note I somehow accidentally philosophized on this matter. xD
...best guess is that they're projecting whatever their dreams and wishes are on you--and do not see any kind of adverse reaction. Lacking understanding maybe?
Must send a PM...just noticed they weren't sent before and I lost the links >_>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:01:50 am by Tiruin »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31171 on: January 08, 2014, 01:03:22 am »

But raw potatos are kind of... Wet? Like, try grating them. About as much water in them as anything.

Dried potatoes, not so much. Potato chips don't get moldy, eh?
Yeah, fungi kinda need moisture to live. This is why things like sugar and dried spices can stay good practically indefinitely. And while crackers and pretzels will go stale, unless your pantry is really damp, you're not going to get mold on them. So there's certain precedent for this sort of thing.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31172 on: January 08, 2014, 01:23:21 am »

like that delicious cheerio you dropped four years ago and which has putrefied into a puddle of semi-sentient goop under the cabinet.

...How did you know? o_o

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31173 on: January 08, 2014, 02:16:33 am »

I just started painting my first Tabletop-Miniatures (Hordes - Trollbloods), and was proudly presenting first results at my local clubstore. Dont get the wrong idea, compared to what most veterans paint, my stuff probably looks horrible, but I was proud of my work anyway. I made the fatal error of going to the club around noon, which is prime-time for random passerbys to enter the store. While I was talking to one of the guys a woman enters with her two kids, one was around 14 and would just look at the shelves and read some armybooks, the other was around 10 (at least he looked that way) and just ran around looking at everything. Usually I put my stuff on high tables or shelves so kids cant reach it (Advice I was given early on, as people told me horror stories of Kiddies breaking their stuff.), but I was distracted so the little one got his hands on my Axer.

The Mini starts out in parts and has to be glued together, as the Axe is pretty big and dual wielded, I had to glue it together by assembling arms and weapon first, and afterwards bending it a little to get it onto the main body. It held, but was somewhat delicate to handle. If you pull at the axe a bit too hard the whole thing could break. Naturally, I didnt want the kid to just play around with it, so I asked nicely if he could put it back. No reaction. I tried again two or three times, the mom could clearly hear me, she was standing not far away texting on her Phone.

Eventually, the kid not only breaks the weapon off, but also bends the handle out of shape and chips some of the paint. I never touch or even come close to other peoples kids (Since thats pretty much a minefield of bad stuff that could happen), so I just barked at him once, which prompted him to drop the stuff back on the table and run crying back to mom. Needless to say, NOW she reacted, which ended in a big argument. Eventually the storeowner had to get involved, I recevied compensation for the figure (But not the work I put in) and mom left, announcing she would never come there again. (Youre not gonna break stuff at our store anymore? Dear god, why?)

I wanted to blow off some steam on my skype conversation, like I usually do. One of my friends there is a mom herself tough, and scolded me for treating the child that way, and arguing with the mother. "Having to look after children can be stressful, dont be so mean just because she didnt watch them for a second."

Its not just in situations like this, but appearantly being a parent excuses about everything Kiddo does in public. Not only that, but as I stated above its pretty much a walking bomb. I like kids, I really do. But I only interact with them if its the kids of friends or family, as thats the only situation you can do it safely without anyone accusing you to be either a pedophile, or a child-beater. A friend of mine had to deal with a situation like this for weeks. He works in retail and tried to find a kids mom, since the little one was crying, he tooks his hand while searching. Mommy lost her shit when she finally returned and would threaten legal action. Not the only story I know, but I pretty much stay clear of kids as much as I can, which makes me look like an antisocial derp.

Seriously, you just cant win. Its either weird looks, or "Why do you hate children so much you monster!". Its really grating.

Extra bit:

Aaand my first time playing ended up gloriously too. My Opponent brought his Girlfriend to play, which is fine, some spectators are cool and there's really not many women playing the hobby. But she drops into a sexism rant half way into the game, after seeing the Witch-Elves I deployed. Basically, its a  unit of female Dark Elves wearing not too many clothes. You could argue if the unit is really sexist, but theres a Lore reason they are not wearing a lot of armor. Personally, I dont care about the subject and avoid discussions, since its a big can of worms and goes nowhere.

So, after 5 minutes of ranting, I asked nicely if we could continue playing. She looked angry, and from what I can tell i earned the title "sexist" now as well. Im probably just gonna wear a shirt saying "Im appearantly a horrible person" from now on, so people at least cant complain about not being warned.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31174 on: January 08, 2014, 03:00:22 am »

It's not likely that she considers you more sexist than "normal".  Her Boyfriend probably harangued her into playing in the first place, which would likely mean that her patience is worn thin.  If she really played the game, she would have already known about character of it, and have either quit before you had met, or tolerated it in order to participate.  Most of the other people there probably shared your perspective, rather than hers.

The game lore is sexist, but not outside of the norm for mainstream media and culture.  If you tried to boycott sexist stuff, you would have almost nothing.  It puts you into a catch 22, but it puts her into one as well. The whole situation is just kind of horrible.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31175 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:21 am »

Yeah, and as for the kid, while I agree that you can't just watch them 24/7 without going insane, my 2-year old niece will generally comply if you tell her to stop playing with something fragile or whatever, so unless this kid had some sort of cognitive disorder, I think there might be some room for parenting improvement there.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31176 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:48 am »

It's not likely that she considers you more sexist than "normal".  Her Boyfriend probably harangued her into playing in the first place, which would likely mean that her patience is worn thin.  If she really played the game, she would have already known about character of it, and have either quit before you had met, or tolerated it in order to participate.  Most of the other people there probably shared your perspective, rather than hers.

The game lore is sexist, but not outside of the norm for mainstream media and culture.  If you tried to boycott sexist stuff, you would have almost nothing.  It puts you into a catch 22, but it puts her into one as well. The whole situation is just kind of horrible.

She just spectated the game, I dont know the guy very well and its very possible that she was indeed talked into attending. Altough she looked generally interested until I pulled out those Witch Elves. The Game is indeed sexist in a lot of places, but the argument is so tired and I seriously cant count how many times i've wasted time arguing instead of playing. I usually just stay clear of the subject, which some people interpret as "enabling". So yeah, I agree that this stuff jsut generally sucks a lot.

Yeah, and as for the kid, while I agree that you can't just watch them 24/7 without going insane, my 2-year old niece will generally comply if you tell her to stop playing with something fragile or whatever, so unless this kid had some sort of cognitive disorder, I think there might be some room for parenting improvement there.

Im well aware that parenting is a hard job, and supervising your kids 24/7 like some sort of Hivemind isnt healthy anyway. But its the attitude that usually gets me going. Its not that hard to just apologize for your kid breaking something, or at least intervene once you SEE something is going on. But that mom is one of the prime examples where something bad has to happen first, before they actually do something. And behavior like that just gets me mad sometimes.

Also, as an added note. I've spent around 3 to 4 hours painting that mini. Considering my usual temper when it comes to ruining hard work, they were lucky I didnt suddenly catch fire and started channeling my inner Hulk.

On an unrelated note, one of the students just came into our office (Im part of the IT-Crowd at the School) carrying a screen under one arm and a bottle below the other. Before he could tell us his problem he tripped, faceplanted on the floor and spilled what I think is coke over himself and some of the floor. After getting back up he looked at the mess for a few seconds before announcing "Im s-sorry." and leaving. I cleaned the floor but have no idea whats wrong with the screen. Im a little tempted to find out his username and change his background to a bottle of coke, saying "We know.".
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31177 on: January 08, 2014, 07:35:43 am »

So I bought new shoes in mid-November. Fast-forward to late-December and they're already so worn that they're leaking in water.

Dammit, I expected better than this. Every pair of shoes I buy is the same, different brand every time. One to two months of use, then there are already small holes in the soles that leak in water. This then starts a vicious cycle that ruin the shoes even faster.

I might as well buy steel boots if this keeps up.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31178 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41:18 am »

What you need to do is to make your own boots. Butchering a pig and personally processing its skin into leather optional.

I've heard stories that in region of this here country significantly to the south of mine there've been shoemakers who took care of the process from raw pig skin to complete shoe, with whatever else that needed to be done taken care of them too. Their work is supposedly mostly still usable and rather comfortable. Did I mention that they did their trade in pre-war times? As in pre-WW1.

Fucking artifacts.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31179 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:25 am »

Waking up this early, when it's this cold, just to have to go to work is a sick, cruel joke.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31180 on: January 08, 2014, 09:09:26 am »

Been doin' it since Monday, MZ. Sweep up some warm and fuzzies from the happy thread and down an extra cuppa, it's not horrible out there if you bundle and fortify.

Interestingly, I just realised that I wasnt hit with my usual Winter-depression like past years. OFC ice and snow are still shitty, and the cold doesnt help with getting up, but once im passed the "getting my lazy ass up" it works pretty fine. The only thing bumming me out is the fact that im not getting much sun. The shorter days mean that my day starts with grey, and ends with grey again.

Also, having a massive chatwar with a chick I tried to hook up with.  She said she just wanted to be friends, which I was fine with. But the fact that I then stopped spending much time with her upset her a lot. Skype shows 15 new Chatmessages in the past hour. Geez, with all the bad stuff happening to me when trying to date, im slowly beginning to think im not meant to find a girlfriend.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #31181 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:57 am »

...I seriously think its in your viewpoint and how you act upon it..unless I'm missing anything.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31182 on: January 08, 2014, 09:31:46 am »

...I seriously think its in your viewpoint and how you act upon it..unless I'm missing anything.

Could you elaborate? Or is it the fact that im not willing to spend the same amount of time with her now that a relaationsship is out of question?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31183 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:42 am »

Well, have you explained why you're chatting with her less? If not, when you do, remember to emphasize that you're not trying to make an ultimatum to make her change her mind - all you're doing is explaining that you don't feel obligated to treat her any differently than your other friends, and that you need time for yourself and to keep looking for a girlfriend. I know that if a buddy who was previously chatty suddenly dropped off the face of the earth, I'd feel a little abandoned.

Remember, this isn't a dating problem, this is a friendship problem. Either way, though, the only solution to either category is to calmly and explicitly explain your motivations and ask the other person to do the same. Don't think of her as an antagonist - if she's your friend, you're on the same side. You both want both of you to be as happy as possible. Once everything's on the table, and your being honest with yourselves as well as with each other, it becomes much easier for you both to work toward that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31184 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:40 am »

And on a tiny note I somehow accidentally philosophized on this matter. xD
...best guess is that they're projecting whatever their dreams and wishes are on you--and do not see any kind of adverse reaction. Lacking understanding maybe?
Must send a PM...just noticed they weren't sent before and I lost the links >_>

They've laid off bothering me so much now that I'm a published author and am starting a tech company >_>  They were worried about my being financially screwed, which is fortunately not looking like it's going to happen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2077 2078 [2079] 2080 2081 ... 3345