Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1874 1875 [1876] 1877 1878 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692471 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: In A World.....Edition
« Reply #28125 on: October 08, 2013, 03:01:46 pm »

I have once again attempted to make a flag signature work. Progress has been made, and yet progress has been halted by the strange washed-out effect I have ended up with.
Might be because you saved it as a jpeg. Try png instead.
I already tried png. It didn't go well. I ended up with microflags.

Well, for small-scale images, you definitely want to use PNG or GIF (or BMP, but that's uncompressed and needlessly bulky). No idea why it shrunk them more... what image editor are you using? Whatever it is also seems to be antialiasing the images a bit too aggressively when you reduce them, and over-compressing the JPG so everything goes grey.

P.S. If you gave me the raws, I could probably put something sharper together for you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28126 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »

I've posted about this professor before, but here's a question taken verbatim from one of his exams:

Which of the following is not a view or objective supported by liberals in the US?
a) universal civil liberties, including the right to abortion on-demand
b) the belief that more government is always good
c) a healthy budget for national defense
d) welfare for anyone who isn't employed

I've done a bit more research into him as well, and as it turns out, he isn't a tenured faculty member. Or rather, he isn't just a tenured faculty member, but also a senior member of the board of regents. So yeah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28127 on: October 08, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »

Jesus Christ...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28128 on: October 08, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »

I've posted about this professor before, but here's a question taken verbatim from one of his exams:

Which of the following is not a view or objective supported by liberals in the US?

I've done a bit more research into him as well, and as it turns out, he isn't a tenured faculty member. Or rather, he isn't just a tenured faculty member, but also a senior member of the board of regents. So yeah.

Dude... go to the head of the department, or the ombudsman, or whoever you have to, and let them know what he's doing. Keep records of times he's used his position as a Bully Pulpit, and how. Even if he's firmly nestled in the education complex, they can still pressure him about it, and hopefully get him to not let his political beliefs color his teaching.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #28129 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:56 pm »

Applied for a job. It's here in town, so there's practically no commute. Kinda wanted it.

Then, the dreaded question: "Could you please send us your salary requirements?"

I tell them I'm unwilling to discuss a salary for a position I know nothing about, and will be willing to discuss salary during the interviews. Like any other reasonable job that isn't trying to screw you over. I know as well as you do that you have a budget, and I'm not going to play a guessing game as to what your budget is. It's a losing game, no matter where I land.

Their response? "Thank you for your time and good luck on your future job search."

Well, #%&@ you too.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28130 on: October 08, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

On a related note: I HATE ONLINE APPLICATIONS.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28131 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »

On a related note: I HATE ONLINE APPLICATIONS.
SO MUCH HATE
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28132 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:35 pm »

Dude... go to the head of the department, or the ombudsman, or whoever you have to, and let them know what he's doing. Keep records of times he's used his position as a Bully Pulpit, and how. Even if he's firmly nestled in the education complex, they can still pressure him about it, and hopefully get him to not let his political beliefs color his teaching.

I've already spoken with a few of my seniors who've tried the same thing without much success, and... Frankly, at the very least I'd want to get a tape recorder to provide evidence, and given how tight-fisted universities are becoming with material information that might present a legal problem. That aside, I'm honestly questioning whether it's a worthwhile expenditure of time to go the distance on this, when ultimately it's a low-level class I had to dip in to fulfill prereq requirements, especially when I have a multitude of deadlines that are much more pressing. Part of that is laziness, yes, but part of it is that in any view with a scope broader than this semester he is entirely irrelevant to me; I can avoid his classes, he pretty obviously isn't fooling anyone else, it's a meaningless intro prereq course, and again, I've got actual important stuff to deal with.

Doesn't stop me from being annoyed, though.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28133 on: October 08, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »

Wait, what is this? I don't get what's rageworthy apart from it being a stupid question.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28134 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:58 pm »

It's a stupid question from someone in a position of teaching, is indicative of the level of bias they hold if they're willing to impose it in a classroom environment, and the person in question is on the regent board. :v

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28135 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:50 pm »

Wait, what is this? I don't get what's rageworthy apart from it being a stupid question.
Everything the guy teaches is colored by his political leanings in a painfully obvious way. He takes twenty minute tangents to rant about random things. He's the only poly sci professor I've ever had who taught based on his personal beliefs rather than on facts; I've had professors where I could probably guess fairly accurately how they felt, but they never actually framed their lectures from the perspective of "this is what I think and this is why it is right" rather than "these are the various commonly-held viewpoints about this topic". It's intellectually bankrupt.

3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #28136 on: October 08, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »

It's a loaded question. Basically, all of those things are caricatures of liberal ideas (Strawmen), while the only "right" answer is also a caricature (The "healthy budget" one). If we were being technical, sure, some liberals might hold those ideals, but I doubt a single reasonable liberal would agree with any of the "supported" views, and I doubt a single reasonable conservative would agree with such a ridiculous caricature of the liberal party.

The only way to be right is to hold his extremely prejudiced views.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28137 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:13 pm »

Ninja'd, but to further illustrate; It's a biased and politically-charged exam question, in which the professor portrays "liberals in the US" as abortion happy and encouraging unemployment, as they senselessly bloat the functions of the Government (because they "believe more government is ALWAYS good"), while they don't feel it's important to propose a healthy budget for national defense.

And FD, I can get why you might not feel inspired to do anything about it... but I would (and have before), were I in your shoes. Don't like enabling people to get away with bullshit like that... not everyone has as keen a sense for BS, and the effects will be felt. Being an instructor is to adopt a mantle of non-bias; to remove their prejudices and preconceptions from their instruction- or at least be aware of them. Using their authority to promote and defend their personal beliefs is nothing but unprofessional, and betrays the principals of academics.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:39:48 pm by Solifuge »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28138 on: October 08, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »

It's a loaded question. Basically, all of those things are caricatures of liberal ideas (Strawmen), while the only "right" answer is also a caricature (The "healthy budget" one). If we were being technical, sure, some liberals might hold those ideals, but I doubt a single reasonable liberal would agree with any of the "supported" views, and I doubt a single reasonable conservative would agree with such a ridiculous caricature of the liberal party.

The only way to be right is to hold his extremely prejudiced views.
Why not just answer that they don't hold those views then? The question allows you to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28139 on: October 08, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »

Because the "correct" answer is C.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1874 1875 [1876] 1877 1878 ... 3345