Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693785 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27405 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:46 am »

@Frumple

That's been my experience too, but only because it's something I could experience spontaneously anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27406 on: September 14, 2013, 11:06:09 am »

The right-click menu has decided to have the thing I select stick to the screen randomly and always be on top. I have to change the theme and then change it back to get rid of it.

GJ, microsoft.

E: An update fucks up my dad's phone, I have to fix it.
I now have homework to do tomorrow that I would have completed today and a few wasted hours. yay.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:24:10 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27407 on: September 14, 2013, 06:11:43 pm »

Weddings. Yeesh. Love my family, but oh god, how I loathe makin small talk with strangers.

At least I look ace in my suit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27408 on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »

The author of this Farsi textbook should be taken out and fed to the wolves for refusing to put vowel marks on words in the vocabulary lists. How am I supposed to know that اسم isn't "âsam" or "osma" or "esoma" instead of the correct "esme"?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27409 on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »

So earlier today, I was on another website, and somebody there posted a long rant about something that had nothing to do with what the site was about, even though that's against the rules of the site. I informed him that this was against the rules, and then some other guy said "omg Red shut up your such a jerk." The really stupid thing about this is that the person who called me a jerk was an admin, so he knew the other guy was breaking the rules.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27410 on: September 14, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »

A jerkass at the party I was at hit on me in a really creepy way, wouldn't stop giving me a lookover and saying in a sort of slurpy way how beautiful I'd gotten and how I'd blossomed, and then he tried to coerce me into drinking with him.  Yuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27411 on: September 14, 2013, 09:49:55 pm »

Reminds me of the time that happened to my mom when I was six.
I think I gutchecked him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27412 on: September 14, 2013, 10:08:37 pm »

When my mother was 18, one of my...great-uncles, I think, tried to take her to a leather bar in San Fran. This was in 1980.

Yeah, we don't keep contact with anyone on that branch of the tree, I don't think. He was far from the black sheep of that family.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27413 on: September 14, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »

No, not static. There are these little skipping sounds you can hear on vinyl records and old tape recorders. They happen periodically, presumably because of errors in the medium. And I really like listening to them because I'm a very strange individual.

this?
YES.
HNNNNG. That's the stuff. This may also be relevant.

Oh dear god.  I... think I have the opposite thing.  Vinyl record sounds don't bother me too much, but other little crackles/plastic rubbing sounds like his fingers on that packaging annoy me.  Really breathy, wet-mouthed whispering actually enrages me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27414 on: September 14, 2013, 10:42:52 pm »

Break it in half and write with the broken end at a slight angle.  You're welcome :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27415 on: September 14, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »

Great. Now I miss chalk boards.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #27416 on: September 14, 2013, 10:55:18 pm »

I absolutely hate using chalkboards because of stuff like that. And they feel weird, but that's beside the point.

Nowhere near as bad, but the smartboards my school used a bunch of grant money to get sometimes do the same thing, but not nearly as grating.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27417 on: September 14, 2013, 11:11:51 pm »

Hnn... honestly, from an aesthetic point I much prefer chalkboards to the average whiteboard or projector, m'self. Beyond the whole, like... spirit of it, or something... the text/background contrast is much more my preference. Plus writing on them is much more... visceral. There's a certain sort of vim in writing on a chalkboard that's much harder, perhaps even outright impossible, to achieve with similar mediums (current major ones, anyway). More weight to chalk... a heftier sound and feeling when it's being written with. Other stuff is quiet(er), and generally pretty light. Not much impact on the medium, not the same sort of aural experience. You can (have to, to a certain extent) add a bit of verve and vigor to putting something on a chalkboard, and chalk just has a different heft and feel in the hand compared to the more... sterile... other options. It's the mad scientist's medium of choice, basically.

From a practical perspective, though, whiteboards or something electronic is definitely better. Much easier to maintain and work with, generally. But they're more, ephemeral? I guess you could say. They're the delicate steel and glass to the chalk's hefty aged hardwood. And Frumple does prefer furniture it takes a small forklift to move >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27418 on: September 14, 2013, 11:51:20 pm »

In the long term... Yes. Have you seen how gunky whiteboards can get, especially if some idiot screws up and uses permanent marker/the wrong kind of cleaner? Meanwhile those smart-boards are finicky and break incessantly. Chalkboards are just better overall, though whiteboards are good for a while when they're brand new. I've never seen a smart-board that wasn't time-wasting rubbish. I'm convinced that a large part of the impetus behind eliminating chalkboards is the same segment of society that constantly uses commercial disinfectant to clean their hands.

That aside, there's just something special about one of those old-fashioned three-panel chalkboards on vertical rollers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27419 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04:51 am »

In the long term... Yes. Have you seen how gunky whiteboards can get, especially if some idiot screws up and uses permanent marker/the wrong kind of cleaner? Meanwhile those smart-boards are finicky and break incessantly. Chalkboards are just better overall, though whiteboards are good for a while when they're brand new. I've never seen a smart-board that wasn't time-wasting rubbish. I'm convinced that a large part of the impetus behind eliminating chalkboards is the same segment of society that constantly uses commercial disinfectant to clean their hands.

That aside, there's just something special about one of those old-fashioned three-panel chalkboards on vertical rollers.
fun hack with permanent marker erasing, overrun it with a dry erase marker and watch what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 3345