Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1767 1768 [1769] 1770 1771 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692205 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: R.I.P Bambi Edition
« Reply #26520 on: August 09, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »

>________>

Wasn't the point that she was already satisfied with the job?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26521 on: August 09, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »

>________>

Yes.  I don't feel that doing volunteer work really cancels out immoral career choices (by which I actually mean choices, not shit you're press-ganged into by a shitty financial situation).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26522 on: August 09, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »

Well I was more referring to the obvious overtones of her feeling she has failed as a mathematician even if she is working for a group she can feel morally comfortable with, which is silly.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26523 on: August 09, 2013, 02:30:45 pm »

I'm scared it's not going to be very hard and my brain will atrophy and I will be useless to the world =[
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26524 on: August 09, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »

This is what I get for trying to be relevant, eh?

No, nothing wrong with it.  I'm actually planning to do volunteer work, too, if I can find a worthwhile program.

Still doesn't curb my worries with my current profession, though.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26525 on: August 09, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »

I got a Jakobs double-barrel shotgun in Borderlands 2 that can four shot most Badasses, unless they're armoured, and one shot everything fucking else in the world. Its WHITE. Its not rare or anything, I just picked it up off the ground, and its a level lower than my other guns, which are green, purple and blue, respectively. Its also two levels LOWER than all of those guns. It wasn't in a chest or anything. My other guns are garbage compared to this thing. Normally I'd be happy to have a new, awesome gun. I'd be fucking ecstatic if it was an ultra rare or something. But its just a regular fucking shotgun. Why? I don't even fucking understand why this boring, under levelled shotgun is just so fucking amazing when all my other guns have like flame decals and flashy scopes and cool reloads and shit. Its so good I don't use anything else and I love it but it rattles the logical part of my brain. Why is this shotgun so fucking good when it should be a piece of shit.

That's Jakobs for you.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26526 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »

I'd be fucking ecstatic if it was an ultra rare or something. But its just a regular fucking shotgun. Why? I don't even fucking understand why this boring, under levelled shotgun is just so fucking amazing when all my other guns have like flame decals and flashy scopes and cool reloads and shit. Its so good I don't use anything else and I love it but it rattles the logical part of my brain. Why is this shotgun so fucking good when it should be a piece of shit.

Kinda sounds like you've been holding on to your rares for too long. When whites trump everything in your inventory, it's time to move up a tier.

I'm level 53 or something and I can tell you the damage difference between a level 52 weapon and a level 53 is enormous.

under levelled shotgun

under levelled shotgun

UNDER. LEVELLED. shotgun.

EDIT:
Now, here's what you do. You get one of those three-pop bad boy Jakobs shotguns, go grab a second one, slap 'em on your Gunzerker, and pump points into the abilities that don't take ammo per shots when you're low on health/shields and puts extra rounds in your clip after killing people, grab yourself a Lucky War Dog mod or something like it to push the percentage that you gain bullets even higher, then go nuts. There is nothing so satisfying as squeezing eighteen shots out of a clip with three bullets in it, and it's frigging Jakobs. You don't shoot the bullets, you ARE the bullets and you run at people and you paint the world pretty shades of Bandit.
That's pretty much what I already do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26527 on: August 09, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »

It was a Borderlands strange mood that made that gun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26528 on: August 09, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »

I had something similar. It was a TORGUE SHOTGUN WHICH IMMEDATELY MADE IT AWESOME!!!!!!

It was also yellow and I think a level or two behind most of my stuff when I found it. It was in the Dustbowl (or whatever the first big car arena is called). What it could do tho is oneshot any bandit vehicle from a short range. Regardless of it's rank. Cue my Gunzerker dismantling the ride every time enemy cars appeared because it was quicker and easier to kill them with a gun than the car mounted one.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26529 on: August 09, 2013, 04:13:08 pm »

Yeah, I suppose I'm in finance, but the particular sector is green energy consulting, so... I don't really feel bad about making a little money >_> <_<
Make a billion dollars and donate them all to Toady.

a billion dollars would probably make toady work slower, not faster, as he attempts to buy himself a rig that will play dwarf fortress perfectly for the purposes of bugfixing and optimization and ends up building it from scratch
I imagine if he tried to use a billion dollars to build a computer to run DF perfectly, he'd end up building a Metal Gear.
Sweet Jesus a Metal Gear running DF AI
I DUB THEE THE HAMMERER

OH GAWDS ITS OUT OF CONTROL, SWEET MERCIFUL ARMOK WHAT HAVE I DONE

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #26530 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »

I had something similar. It was a TORGUE SHOTGUN WHICH IMMEDATELY MADE IT AWESOME!!!!!!

It was also yellow and I think a level or two behind most of my stuff when I found it. It was in the Dustbowl (or whatever the first big car arena is called). What it could do tho is oneshot any bandit vehicle from a short range. Regardless of it's rank. Cue my Gunzerker dismantling the ride every time enemy cars appeared because it was quicker and easier to kill them with a gun than the car mounted one.
Torgue shotguns with the psycho are truly beautiful.
I have an incredibly powerful but incredibly inaccurate one. the accuracy is redundant as i use it at literally point blank range. All damage leads to a release the beast, promptly healing me, causing even more damage output, and instantly refreshing the AS to begin again. And if i do go down, there's always light the fuse.

Oh, and I have +explosive class mod, with maxed +explosive skill. I LOVE TORGUE
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26531 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »

Internet hatedoms make me rage.  Its one thing to not like something.  It is an entirely different thing to dedicate time and effort to your hate of something, in the same way that fans of that thing dedicate time and effort to liking it.  There seems to be a certain kind of person that will take a website, or other online creative work, and produce giant forum threads, insulting comments, and even fanfiction, all dedicated to expressing their undying hate of whatever it is and everyone involved in creating/liking it.  Often these hatedoms can produce more total content than whatever they're hating on, although of course the quality is generally lower.

I just... WHY?  This isn't the same thing as finding something like "The Room" and giving it a fandom even though its bad.  These people don't like the work in question.  They don't enjoy reading/watching it.  They just like to expose themselves to things they don't like while insulting people at the same time, I guess.

xkcdsucks is a good example of what I'm talking about.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26532 on: August 09, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »

I love the Psycho. I seriously doubt I'd have enjoyed BL2 as much as I did without that class. From the mechanics to the flavor, everything is about him is good. I especially like how cyclical his class traits are. I went from dying and being rezzed once every 20 minutes or so, to dying MAYBE once a night and almost always because I used Axe Rampage too soon.

unnecessary text emphasis

Ok, I'd retort with you're not reading the gun description. I haven't found one mystery white that is magically better than all guns that doesn't explain why, either through red text or straight numbers. This is after more than 100 hours in Borderlands.

I'd join you in your raeg if it sounded like it had any basis in being a consistent thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26533 on: August 09, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

xkcdsucks is a good example of what I'm talking about.
http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com/2010/05/comic-746-stuck-up.html

This is quite literally the most awful thing I've ever seen. They just don't know how to take a joke.

EDIT:
unnecessary text emphasis

Ok, I'd retort with you're not reading the gun description. I haven't found one mystery white that is magically better than all guns that doesn't explain why, either through red text or straight numbers. This is after more than 100 hours in Borderlands.

I'd join you in your raeg if it sounded like it had any basis in being a consistent thing.
I emphasised the text because there was something about how levels make a big difference in damage and that I was holding on to rares too long. The rares I use are brand new, level 27. The shotgun is a 25.

It has no such explanation. No red text or anything. It's a regular gun. That I picked up. Off the ground.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:38:11 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26534 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »

Ok well a hatedom that stays within its own corner is fine to me.

It is somewhere where they can vent. Heck a site dedicated to closer analysis of something they don't like at least lays the argument on the table.

While I say this however, they have a great tendency to spill over and attack other sites themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 1767 1768 [1769] 1770 1771 ... 3345