Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692458 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: R.I.P Bambi Edition
« Reply #26505 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »

If I ended up with a huge amount of money, i could see myself creating a "charitable" organization for independent video game design. Probably end up throwing a contest each month to give out a couple thousand dollars to a deserving independent developer.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26506 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »

See, Akura knows how to convince me.

For the other stuff, I realize that you're joking but I'd rather fund green energy research.  Or abortion access.  Or any of a billion other things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26507 on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »

I wasn't joking about pursuing your own independent mathematics/science research. :(

I think you'd make a very good Gentleman Scientist.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26508 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »

Yeah, I suppose I'm in finance, but the particular sector is green energy consulting, so... I don't really feel bad about making a little money >_> <_<
You're being a middle man leeching of  funds that would have gone to green energy. You're dooming us all. >:(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26509 on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:06 pm »

Oh no, that's fine =]  I agree!

My point is only that, should I wind up with huge amounts of money, I'm not going to sink a million into indie games research when I could sink it into contraceptive access and the greening of the planet.  Or, hell, NASA.  Or a bunch of other things.

I agree that the AAA games thing is a problem but on the other hand I think it's indicative of a widespread cultural issue that's not only limited to games.

Yeah, I suppose I'm in finance, but the particular sector is green energy consulting, so... I don't really feel bad about making a little money >_> <_<
You're being a middle man leeching of  funds that would have gone to green energy. You're dooming us all. >:(

I'm being paid to evaluate the efficiency of various programs, including making sure that low-income families get enough energy.  Rigorously demonstrating things to inform public policy decisions.  Basically, I Am Government Oversight.

You may not like it, but it's necessary.  Also, the branch I'm working at has all of 5 people in it right now.  It's not like we're making much of a dent ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26510 on: August 09, 2013, 01:58:24 pm »

For the other stuff, I realize that you're joking but I'd rather fund green energy research.
* MetalSlimeHunt has noted this for future funding opportunities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26511 on: August 09, 2013, 01:58:50 pm »

(Vector I think he may have been joking just a little bit)

But seriously people making lots of money off of green technology is exactly what the sector needs to expand. And people making money off making it better and more effective through effective analysis is, like, one of the best ways to do that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:00:33 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26512 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:34 pm »

I guess that makes me a war profiteer AND an environmental leach for working on military contracts... for the management, analysis and reporting and environmental impacts, threat prediction and cleanup of hazardous material and hazardous waste.

But soon I will be contributing to the health care cost epidemic by working on medical device drivers, networking, analysis and reporting, etc...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26513 on: August 09, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »

You're all terrible people.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26514 on: August 09, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »

For the other stuff, I realize that you're joking but I'd rather fund green energy research.

As well you should.

(Vector I think he may have been joking just a little bit)

I KNOW HE IS BUT I CARE

As a math major, I care deeply about not growing up to be a fucking quant.  My dad was pushing me to be a quant (then the economy died, dohohoho).  I had arguments over dinner in college about how I was a morality-dry piece of shit who would eventually be a quant and fuck everyone over because I majored in math and that's what math people do.  There are literally fliers up in the math building that say "Learn how you can become a quant" and someone has graffitied it with "fail at becoming a mathematician."

I feel like I have to prove that I'm doing something worthwhile even though I'm going to be making a living wage.  And I feel like this is a worthwhile job and will be better for me than teaching, which warms the heat-seeking cockles of my heart but is just a wee bit boring, but I feel kind of guilty.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #26515 on: August 09, 2013, 02:05:03 pm »

Nah, nah nah. They're not terrible people Descan. Horses are terrible people.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26516 on: August 09, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »

Nah, nah nah. They're not terrible people Descan. Horses are terrible people.

Bad horse "the thoroughbred of sin" is in any case.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26517 on: August 09, 2013, 02:12:49 pm »

I feel like I have to prove that I'm doing something worthwhile even though I'm going to be making a living wage.  And I feel like this is a worthwhile job and will be better for me than teaching, which warms the heat-seeking cockles of my heart but is just a wee bit boring, but I feel kind of guilty.
Just remember - your job isn't who you are, and it's certainly not the only way to make a difference. It's not a failure to put some food on your table or spend a few years making mad cash, unless you let it be a failure by giving up on everything else.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26518 on: August 09, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

As well you should.
I consider it somewhat alarming that I've been hit with the "Must Gather Funding" itch despite not even being out of my undergrad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26519 on: August 09, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »

[Note: Operation Achieve Job description is A success. Continue Test]
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3345