Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705430 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEGology Edition
« Reply #23520 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

It's so classy how police use tazers as tools for torturing people that annoy them.
Oh Christ. I didn't even watch that after the top comment is the police station's phone number. I mean, holy shit how stupid are you? You're going to get in the way of them because of two cops. That video was exposed to 35.000 people. Who thought it was wise to bring down that power on a damn police station and clog their system, slowing down ALL POLICE RESPONSES.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23521 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:13 am »

It's so classy how police use tazers as tools for torturing people that annoy them.
Oh Christ. I didn't even watch that after the top comment is the police station's phone number. I mean, holy shit how stupid are you? You're going to get in the way of them because of two cops. That video was exposed to 35.000 people. Who thought it was wise to bring down that power on a damn police station and clog their system, slowing down ALL POLICE RESPONSES.

Police swear an oath of service, it is their duty to uphold the law and when a police officer breaks the law in such a way, it is treason. The police must be held to a higher standard. If there fellow officers are unwilling to put them to justice, they already are not doing their jobs and hold no legitimacy as law enforcement.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23522 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

Police swear an oath of service, it is their duty to uphold the law and when a police officer breaks the law in such a way, it is treason. The police must be held to a higher standard. If there fellow officers are unwilling to put them to justice, they already are not doing their jobs and hold no legitimacy as law enforcement.
It still doesn't change the fact that those people in the comments may have doomed a person to a death. It swamps a police station when people pull that shit.
Sure, what they did was irresponsible, but it only hurt two people. This may hurt that entire municipality.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23523 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:52 am »

It still doesn't change the fact that those people in the comments may have doomed a person to a death. It swamps a police station when people pull that shit.
Sure, what they did was irresponsible, but it only hurt two people. This may hurt that entire municipality.

The tail does not wag the dog.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23524 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:21 am »

A gross violation of civil rights and the police culture that protects and endorses that has already hurt their entire municipality.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23525 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

Morality is much the same. Primitive tribes where back stabbing was acceptable would have died out in favor of those that were more "moral", that is willing to support the collective.

Nietzsche makes this very same point - is universal morality universal because of some higher power, or is it universal because societies which had that trait out-competed those that lacked it, and superseded or influenced those other societies? This can be applied to both the biological evolution level, and evolution of social structures.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23526 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:30 am »

A gross violation of civil rights and the police culture that protects and endorses that has already hurt their entire municipality.
Not my concern. What they did was irresponsible. But they should have gone through the channels. Talking to the man in charge, filing a complaint.... What did they hope to a achieve by putting that comment up?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23527 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:47 am »

"Actual emergencies" are what 911 is for.

911 dispatchers and the police station phone number are separate systems.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23528 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:51 am »

I did think the phone number was a bit stupid, because it stops the police responding to actual emergencies.

I dare say... making the city safer?

Realistically there are two options here:  take it to court or take direct action against the police.  Courts have proven incredibly ineffective at punishing or altering these behaviors.  That leaves direct action.  There is no direct action that will not impede police functioning.  If it doesn't inconvenience them, then it's meaningless.  As such, I seriously cannot think of a more modest, safe, non-violent measure than swamping phones.

Not my concern. What they did was irresponsible. But they should have gone through the channels. Talking to the man in charge, filing a complaint.... What did they hope to a achieve by putting that comment up?

Are you serious?  You realize that police can murder people in cold blood in front of dozens of onlookers with cameras, and even in those circumstances, it will usually take a riot to ensure that they face any consequences at all... besides some free vacation paid leave, that is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:26:37 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23529 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:29 am »

"Actual emergencies" are what 911 is for.

911 dispatchers and the police station phone number are separate systems.
It still swamps police traffic. I mean, these people get enough shit in their lives. They have to deal with incredible abuse at every turn, pick up men with vomit all over them, possibly get shot, bludgeoned, bitten, and then they have to deal with shouting couples, and then theirs the suicides. I hope to god I never see a hanging suicide, my mum told me enough about them. They don't need fucks spamming their phones because of two officers who may have just had an incredibly bad day, and overreacted.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23530 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:31 am »

Any other normal person is still held fully accountable to the law if they assault someone because they're having a bad day...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23531 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:35 am »

Police swear an oath of service, it is their duty to uphold the law and when a police officer breaks the law in such a way, it is treason.
*BZZZZZT!*

Treason is the only crime specifically defined in the Constitution:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

What the cops did was dickish, yes, but let's not succumb to hyperbole here.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23532 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:28 am »

Any other normal person is still held fully accountable to the law if they assault someone because they're having a bad day...
Well normal people don't typically do all the above. They're regular people, yes, but put under an incredible amount of stress at every turn. What they did was wrong, but putting up a YouTube video and basically tormenting them is not the way to go.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23533 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:34 am »

Well normal people don't typically do all the above. They're regular people, yes, but put under an incredible amount of stress at every turn. What they did was wrong, but putting up a YouTube video and basically tormenting them is not the way to go.
And what is the way to go?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23534 on: May 16, 2013, 10:36:49 am »

There are other professions and personal circumstances that can result in similar levels of stress.  Only police are so protected by this argument.

Yet I would still agree with you if this were something that just happened once in a while, but this kind of behavior is endemic to the point that I'm more afraid of police officers than of criminals...  It's something that desperately needs to be addressed somehow.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 3345