Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3706890 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Could you pick a clinical term with a less derogatory connotation then? Because, believe it or not, some people could be offended by the term "parasite". Myself very much included. It is, in fact, quite rage inducing.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Ouch. That... that was basically an exact mirror of one of the lines/thought processes that the mouthfrothing extremists use, Nada. "I don't hate them, they're just infected" is... I've basically heard that word for word from homophobes ("homosexuality is a disease"), xenophobes (blah blah islam blah sick), people talking about sinners (Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin? Classic line. Tends to be functionally identical in the actual expression.)... several sorts along those lines. Not going to help you if you were trying to actually refute what scriv was saying, at least the first sentence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I agree. That is a very hurtful sentiment, to claim that those who disagree are afflicted in some manner by a disease, and kinda suggestive of a desire to "cure" them of it, which I think would be unethical.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Just reading through some of the shit on there made me want to take some of these people and have them actually go to a real place; rather than the horribly misrepresentative reality they seem to have created for themselves.
Well, I also want to punch them, but then they'd feel justified in their beliefs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Just reading through some of the shit on there made me want to take some of these people and have them actually go to a real place; rather than the horribly misrepresentative reality they seem to have created for themselves.
Well, I also want to punch them, but then they'd feel justified in their beliefs.

I am right there with you, dude. It's difficult to read this and not want to punch things:

I have a lot of fun with "Have a White Day". I use it all the time in public with employees of businesses I frequent. Sometimes I have people get a confused look and ask if I'm saying nice, or White. At this point I smile, wink, and ask "what's the difference?". I do this with directions as well; turn White (instead of right). Also, I have a great deal of fun with people, replacing words like best, incredible, awesome, unbelievable, excellent, etc., etc., with WHITE. I get some pretty interesting reactions, mostly positive, some confused, almost never pi$$y. In my opinion, it is a low friction, minimally confrontational method of spreading White Pride Worldwide.

I wish this was intentional trolling... but I have doubts. I'm having a hard time finding the words.

o________________o

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Dudes they even have their own linux distro!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Ouch. That... that was basically an exact mirror of one of the lines/thought processes that the mouthfrothing extremists use, Nada. "I don't hate them, they're just infected" is... I've basically heard that word for word from homophobes ("homosexuality is a disease"), xenophobes (blah blah islam blah sick), people talking about sinners (Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin? Classic line. Tends to be functionally identical in the actual expression.)... several sorts along those lines. Not going to help you if you were trying to actually refute what scriv was saying, at least the first sentence.

Disease. People keep using that word, when I did not. The words I used were virus, parasite and infection. Because I am explicitly describing the mechanics. The mechanics of religion are very much literally like a virus and parasite when you translate from the  context of a biological host programmed by genes to an intellectual host programmed by memes.

Disease describes a condition that is always harmful. Virus, parasite and infection do not. Your gut is "infected" with bacteria. A remora is a parasite to a shark even though it likely does it little or no harm. I can't think of any neutral or beneficial viruses at the moment, but I have not gone looking for them either.There can be a hypothetically positive religions under the right conditions, even if I have looked for them and not found any. There are many variates of religion that often cause little or no harm in some conditions, but conditions change and even the most benign religions can evolve into something that programs a corrupted and harmful mindset and a twisted moral compass.

Could you pick a clinical term with a less derogatory connotation then? Because, believe it or not, some people could be offended by the term "parasite". Myself very much included. It is, in fact, quite rage inducing.
Would it be better if I said that you were programmed to be used for purposes often not in the interests of yourself or the population to which you belong?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Ah yes. Obi-Wan was wrong, you see. Mos Eisley is a veritable utopia compared to that place  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

I kinda wanna find these people and spraypaint their eyes white.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

Okay, I disagree with your stance, but that's not something I think we should talk about here. There's too much potential for an outburst of offensiveness and negativity here. I will say that what I believe you are talking about is not Religion, but Dogmatism: belief in the truth of an opinion, without giving it consideration, or checking it against reality. It's that same Dogmatism that causes whacked-out conspiracy theories to spread, gives rise to the mindset of those folks Granorke shared with us, etc.

Oddly enough, it's also Dogmatic to believe that all religions are memetic viruses preying on the human mind as well. Because they're not forces for universal neutral-to-wrong that need to be cured, and plenty of evidence suggests they can impact our lives positively as well as negatively.

A knife is a very useful tool. A knife can also kill someone. This doesn't make all knives innately a force for wrongdoing; what's important is how the knife is used, in what situations, and to what end. Yeah?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I hate when you're eavesdropping on a conversation and the person without anything interesting to say starts going on about something.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Dude, they're lost forever. They short-circuited their logic ("What you say conflicts with my world view. Conclusion: The FBI hired you to lie to me"), and can't ever be saved from that, no matter what you tell them. Just be glad they've found a place to spend time with each other rather than spend it bothering racially tolerant people.

EDIT:
I hate when you're eavesdropping on a conversation and the person without anything interesting to say starts going on about something.
Wait, what.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

These people.
These fucking people.

Dude, they're lost forever. They short-circuited their logic ("What you say conflicts with my world view. Conclusion: The FBI hired you to lie to me"), and can't ever be saved from that, no matter what you tell them. Just be glad they've found a place to spend time with each other rather than spend it bothering racially tolerant people.
The only option here is to punch them so hard that they cease to have ever existed.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Wait, what.

You know, like when you're walking past a room and you hear two people talking and one of them is telling a cool story. So you look busy outside to eavesdrop, but then the other person starts telling some boring story. It ruins my free entertainment.
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 3345