Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3704266 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18780 on: December 08, 2012, 08:53:19 am »

What are the alternatives?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18781 on: December 08, 2012, 08:57:50 am »

Vimeo?
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18782 on: December 08, 2012, 09:01:02 am »

Switching to a different website would either rely on your favourite video uploaders to do the same or you'd have to stop watching their videos altogether,

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18783 on: December 08, 2012, 09:02:07 am »

The problem about alternatives is that you can start a new service, but nearly none of the stuff i watch is on there.

I dunno, I could try, but I mainly use youtube for some (usually quite specific) quality stuff.
(examples: videos showcasing computer virusses, crashcourse, CGPgrey, minutephysics...)

Basically, what Darvi said.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:07:01 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18784 on: December 08, 2012, 09:19:38 am »

I don't really get it.  I don't have any more trouble watching videos on youtube than I ever have, which isn't much at all... and that's all I see the service as being for.  The only thing they've ever changed about it that bothered me was more annoying advertising.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18785 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:15 am »

Also, the problem with trying a different site (streaming not counting), is that they all have odd little restrictions on what you can put there and shout at you for if you upload things like that. One of them removes all the videogame-based videos it finds if I remember right. Youtube, shoddy design or no (I think all the capable google designers are hidden in the gmail team personally, since its still fairly nice) is the only one with minimal limits aside from the obvious.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18786 on: December 08, 2012, 09:35:37 am »

What are the alternatives?
Just started looking for direct alternatives. I'd suggest first finding all the people you like on youtube and watching them by their own websites if they have them, which are all superior to youtube by virtue of being able to tailor themselves to their audience. And not being youtube. What pushed it for me was that with youtube you could still find new content from all across the world all in one place, but youtube decided to crush that too.

So far:
http://blip.tv/ (I'm leering on passing on this one, the interface is quite clunky and it's hard to follow anyone... At least without twitter. Which is bad.)
http://vimeo.com/ (actually pretty damn good, good community and they're all quite constructive. So far the only bad things I seem to find is their search bar finds it difficult to find things based on relevance and they don't have a few indie content channels - for example, no gamers, no starcraft D:
Of note is that they don't play ads before or during videos.)
http://www.dailymotion.com/gb (next to vimeo, this is probably the best there is. The only downside is it can sometimes get obnoxious with its ads, but it's still better than youtube debatable. Use adblock and it's perfect.)
http://www.break.com/ (imagine a chaotic version of youtube 2008, I don't know what so say about it because there's so much... Random. Some good, some bad.)
http://www.pandora.com/ (amazing for music and stuff. May not be available in COPYRIGHT EVERYTHING countries, so use a proxy)

I don't really get it.  I don't have any more trouble watching videos on youtube than I ever have, which isn't much at all... and that's all I see the service as being for.  The only thing they've ever changed about it that bothered me was more annoying advertising.
Subscriptions have been arbitrarily removed, DMCA abuse is rife, content stifled (featured videos are often held much longer than they were used to, and are now often videos that are YEARS old, the amount of subscribtion content easily accessed has been reduced from over 40 per page to 3, the change from box format to line format to scroll bar everything, the Facebookification of everything, the pressure to use all of your personal information, ads everywhere)
The list goes on.

Switching to a different website would either rely on your favourite video uploaders to do the same or you'd have to stop watching their videos altogether,
Unless they've just started out, most video producers on youtube have their own websites which are a GREAT deal better than watching on youtube, and support them more.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18787 on: December 08, 2012, 09:38:24 am »

Loud WHispers, subscriptions are still there, they are just arbitrary about it.
This link still works, and honestly it is the only ray of sensibility in the whole damn thing. And even that is damaged since it doesn't expand to your screen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18788 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:02 am »

The "their-own-website" argument is a bit stupid.
Yes, most of them probably have their own website.
But:

Opening 10+ webistes on startup < opening 1 website on startup.

Most of them DO have their own websites (one of them has an entire forum dedicated to computer virusses.), but it's simply easier to start up youtube.
That, and youtube's video player is probably the best one out there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18789 on: December 08, 2012, 10:33:52 am »

The "their-own-website" argument is a bit stupid.
Yes, most of them probably have their own website.
But:
Opening 10+ webistes on startup < opening 1 website on startup.
*Open 1 on start up*
When done, you do this thing where you either open bookmarks or type in the URL of said website.
It's a hell of a lot easier than sifting through Clusterfucktube, that's saying something.

Most of them DO have their own websites (one of them has an entire forum dedicated to computer virusses.), but it's simply easier to start up youtube.
For the viewer, yes. But youtube's made it a great deal harder for anyone to start a new successful channel, plus they've made it so obtuse that for even the viewer it's hard to actually see ANYTHING YOU want to see.
Watching their content on their website ensures that the revenue goes to them and you can easily see their content in the format they've provided. Youtube screwed up. They're turning into online TV.

That, and youtube's video player is probably the best one out there.
And this is just all kinds of wrong.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18790 on: December 08, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »

Apparently some ad guy working for Dominos thought it would be cool to blatantly steal a chunk of a song from my father's current band. Lawyering, ho! >.>

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18791 on: December 08, 2012, 02:57:20 pm »

I'm kind of more bothered by people who seem to be angry at the mother. I mean, that's not the actions of somebody who believes they have a better choice. It's the actions of somebody who is completely desperate or not quite right in the head.
I don't give a shit how desperate or crazy you are, infanticide is an inexcusable act.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18792 on: December 08, 2012, 03:29:47 pm »

I'm kind of more bothered by people who seem to be angry at the mother. I mean, that's not the actions of somebody who believes they have a better choice. It's the actions of somebody who is completely desperate or not quite right in the head.
I don't give a shit how desperate or crazy you are, infanticide is an inexcusable act.

I'd agree. Kind of how like murdering a puppy because you can't take care of it isn't a humane solution to your problems.

I mean, fuck, have the baby, leave it on the counter so someone finds it and gives it to Child Services. Murdering your baby is something you do because you don't want to get caught, which has absolutely everything to do with you and has absolutely zero consideration for the life you created.

Also Nadaka, got a news article to go with this? Not like I doubt you, it just seems like the kind of thing that would make the news.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:32:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18793 on: December 08, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »

I'd agree. Kind of how like murdering a puppy because you can't take care of it isn't a humane solution to your problems.

I mean, fuck, have the baby, leave it on the counter so someone finds it and gives it to Child Services. Murdering your baby is something you do because you don't want to get caught, which has absolutely everything to do with you and has absolutely zero consideration for the life you created.

Also Nadaka, got a news article to go with this? Not like I doubt you, it just seems like the kind of thing that would make the news.
I mean people, there's a thing called a orphanage people, give a baby a chance.

And the worst part is in some places, like NY state, you can literally leave it in the hospital you had it. No questions asked. The epitome of lazyness. And the worst part of THAT is it Still happens..
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #18794 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »

Um? not sure what you mean. The last rage thread post i made was about gamespy shutting down and included an article.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 3345