Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694531 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: CMYK 4 Life Edition
« Reply #17940 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:00 am »

As if! My local mediocre player only has two concussions AND he was acquitted of all charges.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: November 15, 2012, 01:47:25 am »

To quote the Onion

"Oh right the World series"

Who won that again?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:09 am »

As if! My local mediocre player only has two concussions AND he was acquitted of all charges.
But your local mediocre player still spent a week in jail, and he was obviously guilty!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: November 15, 2012, 01:53:45 am »

But your local mediocre player still spent a week in jail, and he was obviously guilty!
There was only circumstantial evidence!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: November 15, 2012, 01:56:04 am »

But your local mediocre player's girlfriend was clearly killed by your local mediocre player! It's so obvious!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: November 15, 2012, 01:58:00 am »

But your local mediocre player's girlfriend was clearly killed by your local mediocre player! It's so obvious!
But your local mediocre player's mother's cat was held for ransom by your local mediocre player! What kind of scumbag does that?!
I'm bored, are you bored? :p

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: November 15, 2012, 02:29:19 am »

Zombies in general don't make much sense as an enemy because they're basically just humans with a little less. Let's face it, even ignoring bleeding out and organ damage, humans are not exactly the hardiest creatures. We're the Glass Cannons of the Animal Kingdom. If you break a zombie's pelvis, it's not going to keep shambling at you, it's going to collapse and have to drag itself by its arms, because its legs won't work properly. Assuming a zombie still uses the central nervous system to send signals from brain to body, which is not a farfetched assumption considering the brain is the only necessary component of the zombie, if you sever the spinal cord in the upper chest, the zombie is basically going to be rendered entirely useless. That's not to mention the fact that, if they go at 100% of human capacity at all times, their muscles, connective tissues and bones are going to be rendered useless in a very short time, because they aren't designed to withstand those kinds of forces for extended periods of time. If the zombie was still capable of healing, it would be a different story, because the body would get used to it, but they can't, so they will always end up useless before too long.

Yes, I do spend too much time thinking about zombies, why do you ask.

I don't think most shambler zombie scenarios would be much of a threat.  The only one I would really be afraid of is if all the dead rise.

In a 28 days sort of scenario, I wouldn't have much hope, unless it started in a sparsely populated area.  It would just spread too fast before a proper response could get organized.  It still wouldn't be an apocalypse, but I bet it could mostly wipe out a regional population.

There are two things I think you're missing, even in a shambler scenario.  First, zombies have a much higher effective hp, to put it bluntly.  One scratch and it's over.  Humans have effective HP of 1.  While zombies are plenty vulnerable, it's still less so than humans.  Second, there's the whole emotional trauma over having to battle the animated corpses of your loved ones.  While I think people would adjust better than most over-dramatized stories give credit, I do still think it would be an issue.  People would do stupid emotional things to compromise survivor defenses.  I don't think it would be a crippling problem, but it would be a big one in the early stages.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: November 15, 2012, 02:43:26 am »

Well, I tend to agree. In just about any pandemic, what seems to determine the overall severity is the speed and effectiveness of the initial response. If official help is slow, and ignorance and panic reign, then things will rapidly turn into trouble and take forever to sort out. If, on the other hand, there is a fast and strong response, the "pandemic" can end before it even starts.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: November 15, 2012, 02:48:48 am »

But the problem is, there won't be a fast and strong responce. If zombies attacked, nobody (especially the government) would believe it was happening until it was right at their doorstep.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: November 15, 2012, 02:50:49 am »

And thus why, despite what the naysayers claim, a theoretical undead infection won't simply be a case of "call the military and have it over in less than a day with minimal casualties".

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #17950 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:36 am »

But the problem is, there won't be a fast and strong responce. If zombies attacked, nobody (especially the government) would believe it was happening until it was right at their doorstep.
Except these days a celebrity can't fart in public without it becoming worldwide knowledge in minutes. Unless this zombie virus also targeted and ate all communications lines, including like, wireless signals, it'd be pretty hard to avoid it becoming public knowledge.

And even if it did, the military tends to investigate when an entire city suddenly drops off the radar.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17951 on: November 15, 2012, 04:31:36 am »

Except these days a celebrity can't fart in public without it becoming worldwide knowledge in minutes. Unless this zombie virus also targeted and ate all communications lines, including like, wireless signals, it'd be pretty hard to avoid it becoming public knowledge.

And even if it did, the military tends to investigate when an entire city suddenly drops off the radar.

You just have to hope you're a safe distance from that city.

There's also the possibility that zombie infection could have a dormancy/incubation period... which would present all kinds of new problems.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #17952 on: November 15, 2012, 04:39:25 am »

It was more geared at cutting the infection off before it became global. The people in that city would likely be fucked regardless, considering the best option is to either
A) Quarantine the entire city and kill anything that tries to get out until the entire infection dies off
or
B) Firebomb the city and then kill anything still moving in the remains.

But yeah, if the virus has an incubation period, then we're fucked, the volume of traffic moving in and out of the average city would ensure that.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17953 on: November 15, 2012, 05:01:12 am »

This zombie thing keeps infecting these threads!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17954 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:48 am »

This zombie thing keeps infecting these threads!
You could say they keep coming back from the dead. THREAAAAAAAAAADS......

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 3345