Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696608 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16500 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »

People focusing on their current live rather than an imagined later one is terrifying?
Yes. Very much so. Society is a freaking inch from collapse on its own. All we need is to tell people there is no need for morality, and watch shit go down.

Hmm, How very conservative of me. Odd.

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
Da fuq? People are perfectly capable of being moral without the promise of heaven or the threat of hell to keep them in line.
There are entire freaking countries that hang from a slim thread into the abyss. Imagine, if you will, the enitirty of the Evangelist republican demographic suddenly realizsing they have nothing to live for? That the entire philosophy of their life is a lie? Every christianly-reformed criminal realizing he can now do what he wants? The fact that the Huge majority of the planet, is not atheist or agnostic?

People focusing on their current live rather than an imagined later one is terrifying?
Yes. Very much so. Society is a freaking inch from collapse on its own. All we need is to tell people there is no need for morality, and watch shit go down.

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
Da fuq? People are perfectly capable of being moral without the promise of heaven or the threat of hell to keep them in line.

Correct. But what happens when people who have belived their whole lives would be presentented with the knowledge that eveyrthing they have ever believed is a lie?
This/
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
There are entire freaking countries that hang from a slim thread into the abyss. Imagine, if you will, the enitirty of the Evangelist republican demographic suddenly realizsing they have nothing to live for? That the entire philosophy of their life is a lie? Every christianly-reformed criminal realizing he can now do what he wants? The fact that the Huge majority of the planet, is not atheist or agnostic?

Perhaps then we could work on forming some real morality, and moving on to real answers. Instead of 'Giant invisible improvable man in sky said so, you better, or you'll be punished!'
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16502 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »

Again, if someone is convinced that their belief system isn't real and goes on a murderous crime spree, that's their problem.

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.

If someone needs heaven and hell them act morally, that person is not really moral.

Edit: English mother F*cker! Can I type it?

This, basically.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:19 pm »

And this is exactly why so many people are anti-religious.  The idea of propping someone's morality up on some abstract and easily refuted belief system so heavily that the whole thing falls over into chaos if you remove it is obviously a problem.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: October 10, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »

Again, if someone is convinced that their belief system isn't real and goes on a murderous crime spree, that's their problem.
Againt, no, its everyone he kills problem. Its not a "I guess I'll just have to adjust now, do do dooo". People have fought and died in the millions, Billions must I say, in honor of God, in some form or another.

Moral systems based on religion aren't the best, but its a cold harsh world out there.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: October 10, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »

Againt, no, its everyone he kills problem. Its not a "I guess I'll just have to adjust now, do do dooo". People have fought and died in the millions, Billions must I say, in honor of God, in some form or another.

Moral systems based on religion aren't the best, but its a cold harsh world out there.

Millions and billions have been brutally raped and murdered for the honor of god. I don't want any part of something that can justify such actions at any point.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: October 10, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »

People start with a morality and then create rationalizations to support them. Removing God would just remove the rationalization, not their values. Might even help them to be more consistent.

I gave up needing excuses to be good to people.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: October 10, 2012, 05:06:54 pm »

Where is everyone getting the millions and billions number? It was in the hundreds of thousands on the last source I checked.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »

Let me point out that people being jackasses "because I felt like it" is a significant step up from them being jackasses "because God says so." No blame shifting, so only the truly amoral would be problematic.

We have Earthy deterrents to keep sociopaths from slaughtering everyone. What do you think we have a justice system for?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #16509 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:31 pm »

Moral systems based on arbitrary religions are arbitrarily defined as moral. I am far more worried about the horrific things people justify as moral based on their arbitrary religion than I am about people who lose their frame of reference for belief.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: October 10, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

I'ma go play some video games now. Can't keep discussing this.
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: October 10, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

+1. This crap is only gonna end in banning/muting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16512 on: October 10, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

Millions and billions have been brutally raped and murdered for the honor of god. I don't want any part of something that can justify such actions at any point.
My point EXACTLY, hans. My point EXACTLY.

Life is hard, people or stupid and irrational, and as much as people like to imagine that somehow humanity will pull together, we wont. At the end of the day, the cast majority of us are assholes, jerks, losers, and generally not well off. All those people just lost the only hope they'll ever get, and the only system they now. People like to imagine that shit will get better, But it wont.

Where is everyone getting the millions and billions number? It was in the hundreds of thousands on the last source I checked.
literally, anything.
+1. This crap is only gonna end in banning/muting.
Well put.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: October 10, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »

People start with a morality and then create rationalizations to support them. Removing God would just remove the rationalization, not their values. Might even help them to be more consistent.

I gave up needing excuses to be good to people.

I agree with this, but the addition of religion, depending on the formula, adds certain features to people's morality.   The biggest problem is it causes a sort of memetic virility.  People believe that they have a moral imperative to spread their religion to others to save them from hell.  I think it's this that is the primary cause of religious violence.  It also leads to fanatic brainwashing of children and such.  If people just had their own moralities, no matter how problematic, it would just be theirs and that's it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16514 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »

I agree with that, but didn't mention it for fear of sparking conflict. We have a few Christians here.
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103 ... 3345