Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696355 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16485 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

This makes me somewhat ashamed of my fellow people.

Have you seen the thing about the #muslimhate twitter feed? And how it was swamped with pictures of muslim people doing normal people things? Cuz that'd probably make you feel a bit better.
I don't do anything with Twitter. But that does help a little :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

People have strong religious beliefs they are willing to die for. Worse when they're willing to kill for.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
~John Lennon
The thought of what would happen if people learned or thought there was no heavan is too terrifying for words.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:45 pm »

People focusing on their current live rather than an imagined later one is terrifying?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: October 10, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »

People have strong religious beliefs they are willing to die for. Worse when they're willing to kill for.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
~John Lennon
The thought of what would happen if people learned or thought there was no heavan is too terrifying for words.

For you. This is all opinion and conjecture.

People focusing on their current live rather than an imagined later one is terrifying?

This.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:14 pm »

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
~John Lennon

I think it would be balanced against the related thought that there is no hell to fear -- freeing people up to follow their own consciences.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »

Yes. Very much so. Society is a freaking inch from collapse on its own. All we need is to tell people there is no need for morality, and watch shit go down.

Hmm, How very conservative of me. Odd.

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »

Yes. Very much so. Society is a freaking inch from collapse on its own. All we need is to tell people there is no need for morality, and watch shit go down.

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
Da fuq? People are perfectly capable of being moral without the promise of heaven or the threat of hell to keep them in line.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.

Religion, the opiate of the people, huh? I'm like inches from getting myself banned, so let's talk about other things.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »

People aren't as evil as you think them to be :P Most of the world's "evil" is institutionalized; people do Bad Things (tm) because they're enabled to and can shift the blame elsewhere. Religion, of course, allows that by shifting the blame to God; "God wants you dead, so I'll shoot you."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.
Da fuq? People are perfectly capable of being moral without the promise of heaven or the threat of hell to keep them in line.

Correct. But what happens when people who have belived their whole lives would be presentented with the knowledge that eveyrthing they have ever believed is a lie?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16495 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:08 pm »

"Secular peoples aint' got no reason to be morals, they be anarchist murderizers..."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:58 pm »

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.

Correct. But what happens when people who have belived their whole lives would be presentented with the knowledge that eveyrthing they have ever believed is a lie?
That speaks more for their lack of innate morality than anything else.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »

One of the first responses I often see from christians (that aren't insane fundies) when they learn someone else is non-religious goes something like "So what keeps you from just killing people or doing whatever the hell you like?"

My response is always something like "The fact that there is no higher power to offer me forgiveness when I do something wrong.  I have to answer to myself, which I think keeps me much more honest than some being that offers forgiveness for sins in exchange for worship on Sundays.  Also the notion that this is probably the only life anyone gets, so I don't want to screw it up, for myself or anyone."

I've had a few mindblown reactions to that before.  It amuses me how novel those ideas are to some people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:35 pm »

"Secular peoples aint' got no reason to be morals, they be anarchist murderizers..."

I'm about the most secular person in the world, and I'm probably one of the most moral too, in my own way.
He's fucking with us.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #16499 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »

STOP NINJAING ME DAMNIT.

If someone needs heaven and hell them act morally, that person is not really moral.

Edit: English mother F*cker! Can I type it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:00:04 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 3345