Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708169 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: VROOM VROOM! Edition
« Reply #13200 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »

I'm a little surprised that people are just now discovering conservapedia.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13201 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »

Origin.

I'm trying to uninstall BF3 to free up a massive amount of hard drive space.

Origins takes over 5 freaking minutes to poll my hardware, system and program list, locking up my web browser and my whole fucking desktop.

Then, as I go to uninstall BF3 the right way, Origin goes "NOPE! Have a 2 gig patch instead! Oh, you don't want to patch, you just want to uninstall? TOO FUCKING BAD! Enjoy your 30 minute wait before uninstalling the game, and thanks for letting Origin stick its hand far, far inside a body cavity."

I seriously regret ever installing this POS or buying anything that requires it to run.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:02:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: July 10, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »

And in the meantime, Mass Effect 3 is still stuck on Origin with no signs of coming to Steam. I know people have said that it wasn't great, but I still wanna play it D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13203 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »

So I just found out that some people actually want to be disabled. And will literally disable themselves if given the chance. Apparently disabled folks have it better than the rest of us?

In semi-unrelated news, if they ever manage to convert negative emotions into clean energy, give me lifetime access to the internet and I'll be able to power the whole damn country on my own.
くコ:彡

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

Hell, the Simpsons did an episode about that way back when. Homer intentionally gained lots of weight to get on disability.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13205 on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »

Awesome. The Origin uninstall prompt takes you right to your Program List to uninstall it yourself manually.

Fuck. This. Software.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: July 10, 2012, 06:41:45 pm »

There are some legitimately disabled folk who romanticize it as well. Ex: Deaf Culture.
Members of the Deaf community tend to view deafness as a difference in human experience rather than a disability.

The vibe I got from that lady is she's complaining about being marginalized by people lashing out about being marginalized ("special snowflakes"). Which... isn't something I'm totally sympathetic to.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13207 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:55 pm »

So I just found out that some people actually want to be disabled. And will literally disable themselves if given the chance. Apparently disabled folks have it better than the rest of us?
Wow, some people are fucking morons.

Hell, the Simpsons did an episode about that way back when. Homer intentionally gained lots of weight to get on disability.
That was a little different. He just wanted to get out of work.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: July 10, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »

I don't know if this belongs in this or the WTF thread, because it inspired both emotions in me. Chances are good I'm going to post this in both, just to see the reactions I get.

Also, it's a story, so I don't blame you if you tl;dr.

So there I am in gamestop. I wasn't getting games, oddly enough, merely inquiring about a job fair they'll be holding on the 18th. As I'm talking with the clerk, having waited until after the patrons had purchased their non-DF games and gone their separate ways, a dad walks in with his son. The boy is about six-ish, and immediately walks over to the Wii section. After a couple minutes I hear a "Not that one," presumably from the dad. A couple more minutes pass, and the kid keeps handing games to his dad with the man responding with more and more irritation. I don't think much of it, I haven't been watching so I don't know if the games the kid is grabbing aren't approapriate or too expensive. Soon enough, the clerk and I finish our discussion and start watching the dad, as he said "You're getting this one." The kid takes one look at it, and puts it back on the shelf. We see that the game is Homefront, a rather mature first person shooter for those not in the know. The dad just picks the game up and says a bit louder, "You're getting this one". This cycles until the dad is screaming at a crying kid. It was at that point the clerk walked over and told the man to leave the store. They walked out, and the clerk and I could only look at each other, before silently going our own ways.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »

Point is, he still thought that being disabled would be better than not-disabled, as in it would (from his point of view) offer him perks that he would otherwise be denied.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »

So there I am in gamestop. I wasn't getting games, oddly enough, merely inquiring about a job fair they'll be holding on the 18th. As I'm talking with the clerk, having waited until after the patrons had purchased their non-DF games and gone their separate ways, a dad walks in with his son. The boy is about six-ish, and immediately walks over to the Wii section. After a couple minutes I hear a "Not that one," presumably from the dad. A couple more minutes pass, and the kid keeps handing games to his dad with the man responding with more and more irritation. I don't think much of it, I haven't been watching so I don't know if the games the kid is grabbing aren't approapriate or too expensive. Soon enough, the clerk and I finish our discussion and start watching the dad, as he said "You're getting this one." The kid takes one look at it, and puts it back on the shelf. We see that the game is Homefront, a rather mature first person shooter for those not in the know. The dad just picks the game up and says a bit louder, "You're getting this one". This cycles until the dad is screaming at a crying kid. It was at that point the clerk walked over and told the man to leave the store. They walked out, and the clerk and I could only look at each other, before silently going our own ways.
I've heard tales of parents like this and it's always horrific. That some parents confuse "raising children" with "molding children to be how I want them to be" to the point of choosing how they spend their leisure time is always disgusting and very, very rage worthy.

Point is, he still thought that being disabled would be better than not-disabled, as in it would (from his point of view) offer him perks that he would otherwise be denied.
Another point to be made there is that it was how other people viewed and treated him that made him change back, not how it affected him personally. Homer would've been extremely happy at 300 pounds, but kids laughed at him, the theatre didn't have proper accommodations, and Marge didn't find him physically attractive anymore. Only the negative perceptions of being overweight were shown to have any negative impact on Homer's life. Hell, it was even shown to be beneficial as he saved the town with the excess weight.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

It's too bad you didn't get all that on video, so you could send it to the ESRB and be like "Just wanted to show you where the actual problem is."

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »

It's too bad you didn't get all that on video, so you could send it to the ESRB and be like "Just wanted to show you where the actual problem is."

Me getting a job was a priority over helping the ESRB (which really isn't the problem) refine their system
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13213 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:36 pm »

Me getting a job was a priority over helping the ESRB (which really isn't the problem) refine their system

Surely. I just think a moment of an adult shoving an inappropriate game into the hands of their kid should be documented. For the greater good, of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13214 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

Wait, since when do people have a problem with the ESRB? It's not their fault when people ignore the labels and get offended. I like being able to see what sorts of things to expect.

Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 3345