Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708080 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: VROOM VROOM! Edition
« Reply #13215 on: July 10, 2012, 07:52:58 pm »

The ESRB's not that bad as far as rating boards go. Still though, ratings are bad. Content warnings are good. Distilling the content warnings down into vague age groups makes it harder, not easier, to determine what content it actually has. Plus it encourages shit like age based censorship.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: July 10, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »

I had a beef with it when Tipper first began going on about violent video games. It was an industry response to a perceived attack on the content of their product. Parents like it, but I'm not a parent nor was I when it was created. And I still feel like, when push comes to shove, the ESRB is less on the side of the product than they are on the side of detractors of video games. They're in a position to tell those people exactly where video game violence can be stopped if they don't like it. But it doesn't take that role.

Like, a fantasy of mine is an ad from the ESRB running that video that says: "Ratings don't do any good if you won't read them."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

I had a beef with it when Tipper first began going on about violent video games. It was an industry response to a perceived attack on the content of their product. Parents like it, but I'm not a parent nor was I when it was created. And I still feel like, when push comes to shove, the ESRB is less on the side of the product than they are on the side of detractors of video games. They're in a position to tell those people exactly where video game violence can be stopped if they don't like it. But it doesn't take that role.

Like, a fantasy of mine is an ad from the ESRB running that video that says: "Ratings don't do any good if you won't read them."

The thing is, it wasn't one group that started the ESRB. It was small groups from both sides, non of which would cause any noticeable trouble alone. And rating systems only help censorship (just look at the dreaded G rating). Fortunately, a LOT of people who started the controversy have been removed from any position where they could continue such petty things.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:18 am »

So it's pretty funny how every single person on YouTube who uploads a popular song conveniently forgets to enable it on mobile devices. Especially since no sane video uploader would ever intentionally do that.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:23 am »

youtube is not showing up....

well shit
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30:31 am »

I've been cutting grass under city employ for three days now and every goddamn day it has rained!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13221 on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:11 am »

I rage when they drive a half mile long train through town at 2 miles an hour during rush hour.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: July 11, 2012, 09:02:12 am »

Cricketts, the damned little buggers.

It used to be that I could only sleep untill about 6 AM, because then the heavier traffic would start, waking me and forcing me to close the window, making it too hot to sleep in less then an hour.

But now, I get woken up around 4:30-5 AM every morning by the damn criketts making that god awful noise of theirs, and it's not the noise itself really, it's the fact that the bastards are silent all night and suddenly start chirping, making the transition from beautiful silence to hellish cacophony of annoying noises.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:08 am »

When I lived down South, cicadas and crickets were my sleep music. The first couple of months it was impossible to sleep at night, the sound was deafening. Eventually it became like white noise though and would put me right to sleep.

After I moved I had to re-adjust to needing silence to sleep.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:48 am »

That's the thing tho, I can handle them doing it all night, I got used to that back home, and as you say it becomes background noise after a while, but this, this is just annoying.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: July 11, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »

I FINALLY finished reading the fourth book of A Song Of Ice And Fire, only to find out that it's not the end, and nor is the fifth book that I didn't know about when I purchased the 4 book box-set on my Ipad, and apparently it's going to be drawn out into a whole fucking 7th and 8th book too!

What the hell, R.R. Martin? I want catharsis God damn you! I've read your books to the point where I had dreams about READING the book, WHERE THE HELL DOES IT END?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »

It ends when GRRM has killed off all the characters and then has written a final book which is 800 pages of descriptions of the snow blowing across Westeros.

Or when you die, whichever comes first.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:03 pm »

I FINALLY finished reading the fourth book of A Song Of Ice And Fire, only to find out that it's not the end, and nor is the fifth book that I didn't know about when I purchased the 4 book box-set on my Ipad, and apparently it's going to be drawn out into a whole fucking 7th and 8th book too!

What the hell, R.R. Martin? I want catharsis God damn you! I've read your books to the point where I had dreams about READING the book, WHERE THE HELL DOES IT END?

Oh wow, and I just picked up the 1st book not too long ago.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »

There are so many spiders in this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »

I like to think of this as "Robert Jordan Syndrome."
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 3345