Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3704682 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12285 on: June 12, 2012, 11:43:30 am »

I just lost several hours of work because someone was overly gratuitous with the code formatter, and CVS has super crappy merge capabilities compared to SVN.
Oh god why CVS?
Get some GIT on this man

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12286 on: June 12, 2012, 11:46:52 am »

I just lost several hours of work because someone was overly gratuitous with the code formatter, and CVS has super crappy merge capabilities compared to SVN.
Oh god why CVS?
Get some GIT on this man

Pierre is in control of what repository we use, and he uses cvs. His job is to manage the repo. If we had a stable and functional repository, we wouldn't need Pierre.

I prefer SVN, but I am not particularly familiar with git.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12287 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:40 am »

So he's doing terrible in regards to keeping a stable/functional repo?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:17 am »

Git basically exists so that you don't need someone to insure you have a stable and functional repo.

I am pretty sure it is quite literally impossible to lose hours of work in git due to the actions of someone else.

Edit: Unless they change the history and you ignore the warnings and pull the changed history. But seriously, don't change history and don't let other people change your history.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:00:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12289 on: June 12, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

Speaking of coding, apparently theres some samurai game that, while not too terrible a loss since I hadn't heard about it until now, is going to be Win8 only because of how broken things are in relation to Xbox Live to Windows porting is. And apparently having no installers because of the Win8 store is somehow a good thing.

“As PC gamers we’re aware of the issues GFWL has had. Windows 8 & Xbox Live on Windows 8 are a great step forward. Some of that is just improvements in Windows 8 itself – you can associate your PC login with your windows live/xbox account, and then logging into Xbox Live games is seamless, just like on an Xbox. If you don’t want to sign in, it’s much easier to handle (so you don’t explicitly have to create a local user account – although you do have to sign in to buy stuff as far as I know).”

Apparently Windows 8′s store stuff also means “there’s no such thing as installers anymore. Apps & games just install. No longer will every single PC game I play demand that I reinstall stuff I already have installed.”

The second reason does, for me, convey just how Frankenstinian Microsoft is about its support for PC gaming today – and I’m not sure it’s a positive. “We built the game in XNA and C#. GFWL, for technical reasons, did not support C#. So we would have had to port the entire game back to C++. So while Win 8 doesn’t support XNA, it does support C#. There’s an open source version of XNA called MonoGame, and so we ported that to Win 8 in a lot less time that it would have taken to re-write the game in C++.”

The third reason for choosing Win 8 apparently has to remain a secret for now, but we’ll hear more about around Pax Prime.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:04:28 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:32 pm »

Having used both git and svn, I'm generally in favor of svn. Unless you tend to do a lot of branching and people generally sit and fumble away on their own development track for days or weeks at a time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:07:10 pm by olemars »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12291 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »

So he's doing terrible in regards to keeping a stable/functional repo?

This one wasn't his fault really, except by choosing a repo that craps on merge.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12292 on: June 12, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

Having used both git and svn, I'm generally in favor of svn. Unless you tend to do a lot of branching and people generally sit and fumble away on their own development track for days or weeks at a time.

I used to feel the same way - the more experienced I became in both, the more my preference shifted to git, though.

I think we can all agree that cvs is not a good choice though, right?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: June 12, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

this is the third time i'm getting a fucking steam invite from a group i never even heard about.
Seriously, wtf.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12294 on: June 12, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »

this is the third time i'm getting a fucking steam invite from a group i never even heard about.
Seriously, wtf.
You probably joined their server for a game. Its ridiculous.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: June 12, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »

Seriously, wtf.
I'm two random groups ahead of you ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12296 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

For fuck's sake, DOJ, really? This is your argument for why the poor guy can't get his sports recordings? Because (totally not remembering that the servers were taken offline by you) "we didn't seize the servers"? RAGH.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12297 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:38 pm »

For fuck's sake, DOJ, really? This is your argument for why the poor guy can't get his sports recordings? Because (totally not remembering that the servers were taken offline by you) "we didn't seize the servers"? RAGH.
Playing Devil's advocate here, but really...what CAN DoJ do? They don't have the servers, they don't have the data. They can't say "Oh, we'll cut you a DVD with your vids on it". It's analogous (from their point of view) to arresting a slumlord, who then goes bankrupt and padlocks the doors of his apartments. The tenants are going to say, "But our STUFF is in there!" Yes, it is. And you can try to work with the slumlord (or his legal representatives) to get your stuff back. The cops aren't in the business of breaking in the door and getting your stuff for you.

Assuming Carpathia still has the data, I'd think the user could contact them and attempt to get his data sent to him via DVD, flash drive, whatever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:55 pm »

In this case, though, its pretty explicitly the DOJ who puts the locks on, because there might be illegal stuff inside and they don't want to bother sorting through it.

And more like a bank than a slumlords place (though a really sleazy bank)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12299 on: June 12, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »

Not so much putting the locks on as just not allowing it to be open for business. The fact that they didn't seize the servers tells me they're not that interested in what's ON the servers, just as long as they're not online. Thus, the data is still preserved and still accessible (through the hosting company). In theory, it means people could even get their illegal pr0n and pirated software from the servers if so incllined...just not by network access.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 3345