Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3704066 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12255 on: June 10, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

Probably no longer qualifies as an emergency, which means they can turn him away if he demonstrates no ability to pay (which is bullshit in my opinion, but that's private healthcare for you). Without insurance, he'll probably have to file for bankruptcy after getting the bill if he does get treatment* once it's combined with his court fees. I don't know how that interacts with existing court costs and stuff. If I know US politics, which I'm assuming are relevant here, there's a good chance the law won't count his court fees against his income in a given month because "criminals deserve whatever they get, and worse", probably disqualifying him for whatever monetary aid he might have been able to get, that wasn't already disqualified due to being a felon, so that's just going to make things worse.

In short, there's a good chance he's investigated what options are available, and they're shitty. I'm not trying to be discouraging, if you actually do have a strategy in mind, because I don't actually know your situation in detail. I'm more trying to rant about how shitty things are as a form of sympathizing.

*For instance, my visit back in January cost ~$1500, as I recall, which would have been crippling debt if I'd not had insurance, and that was basically for a bag of IV saline, a prescription for ondansetron, and more importantly 30 minutes of a doctor's time and an hour of a nurse's. I'd optimistically guess an order of magnitude higher for surgery and the hospital stay for recovery.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:05 pm »

@MaximumZero: You're right.  :( I just want it to stop hurting.

And I can talk to the judge about the court costs, versus my income, in regards to the whole charity/bankruptcy thing. I'm not sure how it will all work out, the judge is a reasonable guy, he would want to assist however possible.

Also, I'm not a felon as long as I complete Drug Court successfully. Which means don't use drugs. Which is really easy, because drugs are expensive.

Idk.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »

Ah, well it's more hopeful than I pessimistically thought, and I misunderstood some definitions anyway. Good luck! Max is right, nobody deserves to put up with that kind of pain.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: June 10, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »

It isn't so bad most of the time. Thanks for the sympathy and support, I'm going to find out what I can do about it as soon as I can.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12259 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:01 pm »

HUAGRHRHGHGAGAHGHGAGAHHHH

Seriously that is terrible. I'm not even that into animation in general anymore, but WHY  >:(

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12260 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »

HUAGRHRHGHGAGAHGHGAGAHHHH

Seriously that is terrible. I'm not even that into animation in general anymore, but WHY  >:(
CN thinks that lots of views = good show. See: Fred Movie bombing.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »

Got approached by a panhandler today :/  He singled me out of a crowd and kept shouting "EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME--" as I refused to make eye contact and walked away.  Spent the rest of the day cursing my white skin, tattered polo shirt I've had for years, and whatever else made him decide I have tons of money to burn throw away on a complete stranger.

edit: <_< >_>  pretty much expecting to get flamed for being annoyed at being mildly inconvenienced by the poor.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:38:39 pm by Euld »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:10 pm »

It's not that he thought you had tons of money, just that he could coerce you to give him some. Maybe you have a nice face?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:30 pm »

I guess I do have a nice face o_O  I'm a shy kinda person but I'm told I'm very friendly.  Honestly I'd try to help the poor (not necessarily with little donations or helping out at food drives, something more substantial and permanent) if my income weren't so low...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12264 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:20 pm »

Panhandlers aren't a good place to give your money, anyways. Usually a organization, trustful, is a better place.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: June 11, 2012, 11:22:21 pm »

I have that face too, that makes people want to come up to talk to me. Random people too, not just panhandlers. I used to hate waiting at the bus stop. I think it has to do with the size and openness of one's eyes, like that somehow translates to being approachable to people who like to approach strangers. My theory, anyways.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: June 11, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »

Generally people begging for money have something they've been sinking money into, such as drugs or alcohol. That is just a general assumption I make when I get approached by panhandlers. It helps fight off the natural sympathy I feel. Even then, I'm an addict too, so it's not a terribly great defense.
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: June 12, 2012, 12:03:37 am »

I facepalm every time someone refers to a party that has like twenty people in it as a "huge party". Maybe that's big for a high schooler.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:11 am »

Bwahaha, if it isn't triple digits, its just a friendly get together.
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: June 12, 2012, 12:27:21 am »

That all depends on how many people are having sex at the time. More than a handful in a particular group, and it gets really awkward.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 3345