Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699114 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Frankly I much prefer Community. Abed is a much more likable aspie character than Sheldon. And Dan Harmon, the show creator, is probably the nerdiest to ever produce a (non-sci fi) tv show. One of episodes is just the main cast playing a game of AD&D (with a limited number of dice rolls shown to avoid scaring the straights). Well, that's not entirely true; more happens in that episode, but it all takes place during the session.

..."Scaring the straights"?

I give both shows a solid 'meh'. I don't really see the appeal in either one, as they both just serve to make geeks/nerds the butt of even more jokes than we already are.

I've only watched what I think was the second season, but how does Community make nerds the butt of jokes?
Love, scriver~

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile

I give both shows a solid 'meh'. I don't really see the appeal in either one, as they both just serve to make geeks/nerds the butt of even more jokes than we already are.

I've not seen Community at all, but the trailers I saw for The Big Bang Theory made me assume it would just be full of the same old stereotypes. When I watched an episode though, I didn't feel it was that way and I actually found it funny (humour being subjective and everything; in contrast I find The IT Crowd to be too obvious). References to non-mainstream stuff like Talisman etc. just add to the appeal.

I won't claim it to be a flawless masterpiece, but I don't think it deserves the level of hostility it attracts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every few steps or so my mouse wheel scrolls up when I'm scrolling down, at a completely irregular basis. Sometimes even several times in a row. It's getting really annoying.
Love, scriver~

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects

Every few steps or so my mouse wheel scrolls up when I'm scrolling down, at a completely irregular basis. Sometimes even several times in a row. It's getting really annoying.

I have a bit similiar problem with my phone. Its getting *very* annoying.  >:(
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

18 hours of debugging.
4 left until I have the final presentation for this trainwreck. :<
Then another 4 until I can sleep >_<

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

I had to call Consumers Energy today to talk about a bill. After being frustrated by their infinitely-looping robo-prompt system, I went online to find out how to bypass it. I'd already tried pressing '0', since this is normally the method to reach an operator. Their system informs you 'invalid choice' when you press it. Turns out you have to press it MULTIPLE TIMES, ignoring the 'invalid choice' bullshit. Right, that's not sleazy or anything.

Finally get an operator. "Why is my bill $70 when last month's bill was $30, the weather has been WARMER, and I've only had the AC on this month?"
"Oh, do you have any appliances that use gas?"

After adamantly refusing to buy the BS about 'oh maybe you've been using your dryer so much that you've used up the same amount of gas you would in order to heat your entire house', I finally get her to take a further look.

"Oh, it looks like this is just an automatically estimated bill, not a real reading. Let me connect you to our billing department."

Oh, imagine that.

Cue more waiting for another operator...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I've only watched what I think was the second season, but how does Community make nerds the butt of jokes?
Pretty much all of the characters in those shows, despite being supposedly intelligent and decent people, are nothing more than selfish, no common sense jerkass idiots with a thin veneer of nerd painted on. Then, people look at the shows and say, "Boy, that's what nerd/geek/whatever culture is like? No wonder they get beat up in school! Let's perpetuate the cycle!"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

*snip*

Highway robbery, I say. And not the sexy kind either.

Yeah, turns out my bill was actually supposed to be $27.

$27... $70... hey, that's totally within an acceptable margin of error.  ::)

Guess I'm going to be calling in and giving manual readings every month from now on...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Thats just how *any* big private company rolls.
Everything ALWAYS breaks, your complaints do nothing, you pay more then you should, it takes AGES to fix the things that ALWAYS break...
These things are like goddamn vacuum cleaners ravaging on your wallet.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

*snip*

Highway robbery, I say. And not the sexy kind either.

Yeah, turns out my bill was actually supposed to be $27.

$27... $70... hey, that's totally within an acceptable margin of error.  ::)

Guess I'm going to be calling in and giving manual readings every month from now on...

I'd report them to your city/county authorities. Without your intervention, they would have gladly billed you 300%.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much all of the characters in those shows, despite being supposedly intelligent and decent people, are nothing more than selfish, no common sense jerkass idiots with a thin veneer of nerd painted on. Then, people look at the shows and say, "Boy, that's what nerd/geek/whatever culture is like? No wonder they get beat up in school! Let's perpetuate the cycle!"

The Big Bang I agree about, but in community the only two geeks are Abed and Troy and they are both the most sympathetic of the main characters. The others aren't any more geeklike than your usual tv-character. Unless something changes in the series I haven't seen?
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

The Big Bang I agree about, but in community the only two geeks are Abed and Troy and they are both the most sympathetic of the main characters. The others aren't any more geeklike than your usual tv-character. Unless something changes in the series I haven't seen?
I found both of them extremely unlikable. They're both idiots masquerading as schmott guyz. Then again, I feel the same way about characters from The Office and Parks and Rec, too. Both of those last shows, I basically want to punch out all of the main characters.

...maybe it's just me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

...There were people who were meant to come across as smart in The Office?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

From what I gather, Pam and Jim were meant to be relatively normal, but they're insufferable jackasses, too.

Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 3345