Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700479 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Can't tell if serious of belated april fools.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Here goes.  Venting about my workplace again.

Spoiler: Rage (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That makes me really appreciate some of the people I've worked under; "Do the work that needs to be done in a timely manner.", "I will always help with the work when possible." and "If there isn't work to be done, just relax while appearing to work in case a higher-up comes by." are a combination of attitudes that made me genuinely respect the guy in a way I don't often do.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

well, to anyone in charge of a company, the best workers are quiet, busy ones that have no contact with the outside world.

wonder why people get replaced by robots?

Well if the world made any sense, being replaced by robots would be a good thing.  Less work to be done, right?  But that's another discussion entirely.

As for your first statement... not necessarily.  When left to my own devices, I'm actually very productive.  Before some politics got me put under the senior manager's microscope...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was turning into one of the most productive employees in the office.  Processing 50 shipments a day is considered a good solid performance, and I was surpassing that.  When I'm really motivated, I get up into the 80s.  It doesn't matter.  The most productive person in the office processes about 120 shipments a day, but he also takes an on-the-clock hour long break ever day and is on the verge of losing his job for it.

It's not about being a good worker or good at the job or good for the company.  It's about her damn ego.  She wants to look out her office door and see a perfectly straight row of perfectly identical people typing in a perfectly synchronous rhythm without any interruption or shred of human emotion.  She's a control freak workaholic and she behaves like she's royalty.  Just the way she walks looks like it was designed by a cartoonist to caricature her personality (just one feature of her fantastic walk includes wearing a gigantic set of keys in exactly the right spot on her hip [which she swaggers quite exaggeratedly] that causes them to jingle the maximum amount to draw attention to herself).  She has never taken a sick day in her life and gets angry at people who do (to the verge of verbal abuse).  Supposedly the only times she's been absent were when she gave birth to her kids, when she took exactly two days off each time.  She has a list of dress code criteria a fucking mile long, which is not a corporate thing because there was a period of a few months where I had a war with her over jackets/sweaters.  I would bring in something for when I was cold, get it approved by my manager, and then a week later some specific feature of that garment would be banned in the workplace.  Eventually I just brought in a blanket and she ruled that wrapping yourself in a blanket was ok, but only below the waist.....  There is no doubt in my mind that this woman would destroy the entire operation if it were necessary for her to maintain her delusions of royalty.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:24:06 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile

I'm not even gonna reread this all and do any thorough editing. I wanna pause life right now. Just... just everything.
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

applesauce machine, I had that happen to my work lap top, more or less. After restarting it, Windows booted normally. One of the recent updates they released screwed up quite a few people's computers, but it wasn't a terminal issue. And it certainly wasn't anything you did. So while I can't really help you with most of your issue, I can at least tell you it wasn't your fault.

Salmon...... :o That's some rage! I can sympathize, I really can. Data entry and transcription is an endless track of sitting at the PC typing, where truly staying on task for more than 30 minutes is damn near impossible. I had bosses who understood that concept though, to the point where we could get up and walk around every 20 to 30 minutes if we needed to, break up the tedium, have music playing in headphones, even browse the internet a little. That must be hell there, that shit wears your body and your mind out.

And enough with the spoilers though folks, this is one place an un-formated block of poorly-spelled text and emotion is acceptable. Just don't have a stroke while doing it or break the forum rules :p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:23:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I had bosses who understood that concept though, to the point where we could get up and walk around every 20 to 30 minutes if we needed to, break up the tedium, have music playing in headphones, even browse the internet a little. That must be hell there, that shit wears your body and your mind out.

We can go to the break room if we're actually going there for a reason, like to get something from the vending machines or answer a phone call.  Otherwise, we get to walk a maximum of four laps around the office once a night as a group, and only if we're generously on track for meeting our team productivity goal for the day.  We're allowed headphones for music, but after 5-6 hours of listening every day for 5 years, it just doesn't do anything for me anymore but lull me to sleep faster.  It's the only distraction we're officially allowed.  Technically we're still supposed to leave one ear open, but that's the only rule in the office that nobody cares about enforcing.

And yeah... it's a very personalized hell for me.  There are some types of people who can handle this work and environment just fine -- people who are not prone to daydreaming or tangential thinking, aren't bothered by any amount of micromanaging or unnecessary structure, and can completely shut down and become automatons whenever they need to.  I am as much the opposite of that type of person as it is possible to be.  I've been doing everything I can for the last 3 years to prevent myself from falling into deep depression or permanent bitterness.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:03:48 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

For whatever it's worth Salmon, I'm sorry. I was once managing an apartment where my immediate supervisor wanted me to enter in information for hundreds of tenants in an hour, perhaps three at the most, literally. She expected me to do ten lines of entry in 30 seconds for hundreds of entries and I finally just told her that wasn't happening and had to just quit for that and the foolishly illegal shit she was pulling. She also didn't want me to follow the instructions for setting up the software and inputting the data while expecting everything to run perfectly.... ???

I know it's not the same and I'm not trying to compare but to console. Hopefully I'm managing to do that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:19:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I now know why I can never find a shirt that fits me properly. As it turns out I have a mesomorph bone structure (broad shoulders and smaller waist), which is fine and to some people an ideal apparently. I really don't care, and here's why. My problem is buying clothing, absolutely any clothing at all. When I buy shirts there is always a lot of loose material at the sides. This is especially obvious with dress shirts where I can't really drop a size because my neck isn't as small as other people that the shirt fits. Pants are too loose at the waist and too tight everywhere else. I'm also tall, so I need to find something that comes in tall sizes or has a 36 inch inseam for pants. Did I mention that I also have size 14-15 shoes? It sucks to find clothes that fit well in stores and in the case of shoes I've given up searching stores and buy all my shoes online. Finding pants involves driving everywhere around town and settling on something that doesn't fit how you would want it to.

Once I lose a bit more weight I'll basically have to have throw everything I have in the trash and have everything tailor made. My shoulders are an XL and if I lose weight I'll be down to a medium in my body with the same shoulders since my bones won't shrink. That is going to eat up my money like nothing else pretty soon, because my metabolism decided to kick in and I'm losing weight too fast to keep things that fit in my closet whenever I excercise. It doesn't help that need to pay off a student LOC as well.

In all seriousness last year I wore 44x36 pants, now I would wear 38x36 if the pants fit properly in the leg, but they don't so it's a 40x36 that feels loose everywhere but the thighs. That was one year of weightloss without trying. I'm now only slightly overweight, but I'm sure that nothing will fit me by New Years. I'm going to be so broke this year.

I like the fact that I'm losing weight, but I'll be damned if I don't hate it as well.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

That feeling when lost weight means buying a new wardrobe...

Bittersweet, is it not?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It isn't so much that. It's the fact that I will be way too far out from standard sizes to buy anything off a shelf. Pants already don't fit well, and I have large thighs. I run a lot, so I have a lot of muscle there (I jump a bit more than a meter as a standing jump. Running lets me jump higher). Once I lose weight the waist will be so far off that I'll have to have those tailored.

Shirts already are bad, but it'll get worse. I'll need those tailored as well.

It might get to the point in which I just pay a tailor to make me clothes instead of bringing things in. I have no idea if that'll be cheaper or not.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

So, the hospital's instituting a new clock-in system. We're moving over from paper forms to an electronic badge-in system, which is fine, except the program they've got for managing it that all employees have to use for schedule changes and crap has absolutely the most bizarre terminology I've ever seen in my life (apparently, a schedule change request is a "calendar"?), and its interface is far from intuitive. More importantly, though, is the way it's being handled from the administrative position. We have a 6 minute window to sign in or out; 3 minutes before we're scheduled to start, 3 minutes after. If we sign in late or out early, we get docked pay and chewed out by our supervisors for laziness. If we sign in early or out late, we get paid for it and chewed out by our supervisors for making them go over budget. Furthermore, if we don't use a specific terminal to do this, we get chewed out by our supervisors (because they don't want us doing something like walking across the building and signing out on the side of the building we leave from, rather than where we work, because that's something like 50 whole cents they have to pay us). The end result of this is that I'm going to wind up adding about 15 minutes to every work day from paranoia forcing me to show up early and just wait to badge in, and from no longer being able to do my last set of deliveries efficiently on my way out (meaning an extra 10 minute round trip of walking), which isn't a lot from any objective perspective, but is still annoying as fuck and going to add a disproportionate amount of stress.

The only silver lining here is that they're doing this to the pharmacists, too. I don't have anything against the pharmacists, and in fact I love those guys. But here's the thing; each and every one of them routinely does 1 to 2 hours of overtime every shift, but doesn't request pay for it because it's not worth the hassle. This new system makes it a hassle to NOT get paid for it. It costs over a dollar a minute to pay them, and there's about 15 or so pharmacist shifts every day. I know this is actually a bad thing for my job security, but there's a sadistic part of me that is filled with glee at the knowledge that soon, very soon, the budget the supervisors are implementing this whole thing to improve is going to get metaphorically impaled on a rusty spike.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:09:12 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I know it's not the same and I'm not trying to compare but to console. Hopefully I'm managing to do that.

I appreciate it (you too, nenjin).  I'd appreciate it even if no one commented.  When most people hear these complaints, I get told I'm spoiled or don't know my place and should be happy just to have a job, or that I should be working harder to find a different one.  I'm aware of both those things and feel bad enough about them.  It does me no good when that passing comment from the manager walking by ("Watcha doing?  That work related?  Doesn't look like it.") just crushes me with its inherent condescension, and I turn into a non-working pile of smoldering embers with no freedom to express itself for the rest of the day.  So it's the best thing I could ask for to have this outlet that I know will be read by people who won't pile even more condescension on me.

Edit:

Ugh.  My workplace uses a similar system, Bauglir... except we use our badge to get in the building, and then our digital punch-clock is a web page we have to sign into.  We basically have to be at our desk at least 2 minutes early in order to clock in on time.  We're allowed to clock in 5 minutes early, but we get zero leniency on lateness.  Being a single second late is treated exactly the same as being 3 hours late.  Drives me crazy.  Take traffic into consideration, and I basically have to be here 15 minutes early every day, and then sit around for 10.  Our warning system is fucked up too.  If I'm late enough times, I get put on "Verbal Warning" and then I can't be late a single time for six months or it gets upped to "Written Warning" and then "Fired".  The really fucked up part about this is that the warning is said to have expired after those six months... but not really, because if you're late again over the next six months (by a single second), you're put back on the exact same warning level you were at before.  You have to be perfect for an entire year.  I've been in that position twice  :'(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:14:34 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Dude, you're working directly beneath somebody who finds it acceptable to sabotage her own ability to do her job (which is to improve your productivity) for a quick emotional high, and does so by accusing you of doing the same without realizing that what you're doing is improving your own productivity. Which is to say, doing her job for her. In short, I feel for you, buddy.

It's a rough situation, and not something you, or anyone else, should have to put up with. It's certainly not something people should be guilting you over.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

When most people hear these complaints, I get told I'm spoiled or don't know my place and should be happy just to have a job, or that I should be working harder to find a different one.  I'm aware of both those things and feel bad enough about them.

Well, you should be happy about having a job, but you sure shouldn't be happy about that job sucking. Especially since you're in the position of making the money for the company while getting the least for it yourself (because the bosses wouldn't have any money to "reward" themselves with without people like you), and the above mentioned reasons of your bosses sabotaging their own actual intention and business while/because of not understanding your position. So don't feel guilty about it, whoever says something like that is being fallacious and irrelevant. I so feel you should be looking for another job, though, but that's only because I get worried about your health.

Also, you (inclueing Bauglir) need better unions. Those clock in/out requirements are ridiculous.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3345