Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695564 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: $1.50 is fine Edition
« Reply #9615 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:16 pm »

Sorry for not giving you guys more details, :P.

Anyway I think I'm going to put this matter to rest for the moment, after the holidays my parents are going to check if we did actually sign the agreement, what actions to take, and see if the teachers do buck up after the holidays.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #9616 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:57 pm »

I get the feeling that anyone who registers a complaint will get dropped to #6 at best.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: March 09, 2012, 02:37:22 pm »

Dealing with goverment employees in the DC metro area has been steadily trying to turn me into a racist, sexist *and* ageist simultaneously. Because office staff is disproportionately middle-aged black females. Who carry a chip on their shoulder a mile wide, and a level of technical knowledge a nanometer deep. Gaaaah. Probably best I'm looking for new work, all things considered.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »

So a few days ago on of my drives fails.  It was the drive I had /home mounted on, with a small Windows partition.  No big deal, I have backups and I can be back to where I was in only a few hours.  I order a replacement drive and it arrived yesterday.

Here's where I screwed up.  I put the new drive in, and start the Windows installation.  I answer all the questions, and select a partition on the new disk as the install target.  With the installation happily moving along, I go take a shower.

I come back and find that chkdisk is running.  To my horror, I see that it's on my backup drive and it's "recovering" thousands of files.  A large portion of what was an exact backup of my home directory is now residing in a folder called "found.000".  Sorting through the files isn't really an option as they are helpfully named things like "file0038.chk".  They also don't have any indication of where they originated from.

For good measure, Windows also overwrote my bootloader, because there's no possible way you'd want to run more than one operating system on a computer.

The good news is that I have remote backups.  It's only through a trading arrangement through a friend though, so I'm probably spending the next several weeks rsyncing 600gb of files over my friend's residential connection.  Luckily, if there's something important I need I can grab it pretty quickly.

The moral of the story:
When installing Windows, always unplug all of your drives except the one you're going to be installing Windows on.  If you leave them plugged in, Windows will shit all over them.

I'm so close to dumping Windows, but I need Microsoft Word.  I hear the latest version of wine runs Word, so maybe I'll try that, or even a VM.  I'm tired of this crap.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9619 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »

Dealing with goverment employees in the DC metro area has been steadily trying to turn me into a racist, sexist *and* ageist simultaneously. Because office staff is disproportionately middle-aged black females. Who carry a chip on their shoulder a mile wide, and a level of technical knowledge a nanometer deep. Gaaaah. Probably best I'm looking for new work, all things considered.  :-\

That is all government employees. The ones I deal with are disproportionately young white male chair force jockeys and have very similar issues.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:50 pm »

That is all government employees. The ones I deal with are disproportionately young white male chair force jockeys and have very similar issues.

The one that set me off today...no connectivity, maybe a dead LAN drop. Going to send somebody down to check the cabling. "Okay, I'm showing your location as XX-XXX (cube locator)?"

"Well...I was there, but I moved. So I don't know where I am now."

"....Okay, can you find your cube location? Should be on the wall outside."

"I'm just around the corner from where I was."

"Ma'am, I need to have a location in order to send someone down there."

"Well I don't know. They done moved me, they should know where I am! Just send them to my old cube."

I was sorely tempted in the dispatch notes to write "User is too lazy/stupid to get off her ass and find her location. Last seen in vicinity of XX-XXX. Good luck, gentlemen."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9621 on: March 09, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

What did you really do? :d

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: March 09, 2012, 05:12:44 pm »

More or less that, minus the "too lazy/stupid to get off her ass" part. The number of fucks given is steadily decreasing proportional to the amount of time remaining in the contract. It remains to be seen if the convergence with zero is at termination or somewhere prior to termination. The latter could be dangerous, resulting in a negative quantity of fucks given. Since amount of effort is the square root of the fucks given, this would result in an imaginary and non-real level of effort.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: March 09, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »

That's why I really like my company I joined. Our CS notes read like "If you haven't stabbed the Tag printer multiple times by now, reset the printer and....."

We even have entries on our wiki for "Magical Elves" and "Gremlins."

Sometimes lulz is the only thing that stops you from hanging yourself  with an ethernet cable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: March 10, 2012, 04:14:26 am »

Never mind I'm putting this matter to rest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:41:38 am by justinlee999 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9625 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:51 am »

Spam bot selling raybans on Dwarf Fortress

Gotta love spam bot logic :p

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:46 am »

You write very well.Thank you for your shared
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: March 10, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »

Mass effect 3's ending, i wont spoil it, but hell this is the biggest pile of b*****t  I've seen next to when i lost a character I've used since morrowind in skyrim.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: March 10, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »

What's even sillier is that my principal is my Chemistry teacher, and he forgot to come for Chmeistry class for 2 days, wasting 3 periods in total.
I had a chemistry teacher who did the same thing, but worse. Yay for recycled tests from the previous year, otherwise we wouldn't have passed that year.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 3345