Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695219 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: $1.50 is fine Edition
« Reply #9600 on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:35 am »

Oh. Missed that. I know nothing about how or if they're regulated. I guess at least with a public school you have options for forcing the teachers to show up, but I don't know how to compare the quality of the education you'd be getting.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:23 am »

Ah, I forgot to add, it's a private school. The public schools do not provide international syllabuses.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: March 09, 2012, 11:57:30 am »

There are still people above the principal you can take this too, usually. And the press might be interested in picking up the story. A signed paper of that sort is pretty much meaningless.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: March 09, 2012, 12:00:31 pm »

so uhm, I guess this being a private school makes things much harder.

and I'm not sure if I want to take this to a press, I might get in big trouble.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »

so uhm, I guess this being a private school makes things much harder.

and I'm not sure if I want to take this to a press, I might get in big trouble.

So what if you get in trouble? You should do what you think is right.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: March 09, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »

Worse they can do is kick you out of the school, and if your teachers aren't even bothering to come to class, I'm not really seeing the potential drawbacks there.

What's so good about them that it is worth staying when they clearly don't care about your education, and only their own reputation? (Hence catering to the "elite")

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:44 pm »

Well, I think I'll just see if the school has improved, if it doesn't then I'll probably take more action.

And my maths teacher is quite dedicated to his job, and new to this school (he even makes his own assessments for us, in addition to the school's).

Also it's already March, so I'm quite worried about my education if I get kicked out now
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:07:56 pm by justinlee999 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:07 pm »

I have... never seen a math teacher NOT do that. That's like basic "not terrible" math teacher standards.

Though I'm not sure if that reflects well on the teacher so much as poorly on your schools existing assessments structure. Most teachers REPLACE the assessments with more relevant ones.

Having both just makes it sound like SOMEONE is waisting valuable time you could be spending learning.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:09:42 pm by GlyphGryph »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:46 pm »

I have... never seen a math teacher NOT do that. That's like basic "not terrible" math teacher standards.

Though I'm not sure if that reflects well on the teacher so much as poorly on your schools existing assessments structure. Most teachers REPLACE the assessments with more relevant ones.

Having both just makes it sound like SOMEONE is waisting valuable time you could be spending learning.
You have a point there, but I find the informal assessments a great way to know what you're weak at, so you can do better at the real assessments.

But anyway, I'm actually worried about my education if I do get kicked out of this school, I'm not sure where to go next.

My maths teacher is the only teacher that has NEVER missed a class or has been absent so far.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: March 09, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

Ew. The state's ability to interfere with the operation of privately run schools is pretty limited. They have to break state laws for the state to have the power to compel them to do something. So, you might be SOL on the legal front.

On the other hand, as people have said, your school will likely have a board of trustees or something. And they will not appreciate your teachers shirking their duties, because they draw salaries on the assumption they're doing their jobs.

I went around school to look for him, but he was nowhere to be found, and the receptionist said she'll leave a note, but my principal came in the next day and grumbled about how we didn't remind him.

That's bloody fucking stupid. If your parents want to take action, they can easily make the case they are not getting their money's worth from the school. The school may very well tell you to take a hike as your only recourse, but at least it will be on record.

If you're seriously unhappy about your school, talk to your parents and tell them you're willing to go to public school, or another private school where education isn't a joke. If parents in public school can be demanding about the quality of the education their kid is receiving, parents paying into private school are entitled to be x2 as demanding.

The simple fact it seems like your school doesn't believe in substitute teachers is absurd.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »

Ultimately, the strength of your education rests upon you and what you choose to do, nothing else. Would you really be so much worse off at a public school? If you think you would, then perhaps find another way to deal with this problem. Instead of wasting time worrying about teachers, see their absence as an opportunity.

If they are anywhere near as lax about student attendance as teacher attendance, take your education into your own hands. Spend your time learning the material, do research, create groups with the other students to get the most out of those materials. Bring books to class, so even when the teacher doesn't show you can still spend the time learning - and take notes on the books you read!

There are always other alternatives. But it sounds like your current school is failing you pretty hard - an alternative might be at least worth a try.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys, but it should be noted that I am not in the United States (nenjin seems to be thinking it is, given how he said "states"), and my previous education is drastically different from the public school's, and I'll have MAJOR difficulty coping with my national language (I hardly ever use it) and their syllabus in general. So public schools aren't an option.

Right now my best bet would be to try my best to get the schools to pay attention to my complaint, if all else fails I'm going to have to study myself when the teacher's not around (I've been homeschooled before, so self-learning is hardly something new).

The real cuplrit is my geography teacher, though. She may be in the school, but sometimes she won't show up at classes, and once said that she wouldn't want to teach us if she had a chance to not. And when she teaches, it's mostly "copy the notes I've written on the whiteboard, that is all".

Then she would come in at Malay class and said "I don't know what to teach" and just sit down there while my classmates talked.

On a more humourous note, I have said in the "WTF?" thread that my Pakistani ICT teacher says that "macs have no viruses", kind of tells you the quality of some of the teachers my school hires.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:24:43 pm by justinlee999 »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9612 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »

I am afraid that my Realtor is only going to want to show me high dollar houses. I am not a fancy person, I don't need a fancy house. And buyinh one will put me in a position where I can't pay off my student loans early.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »

I am afraid that my Realtor is only going to want to show me high dollar houses. I am not a fancy person, I don't need a fancy house. And buyinh one will put me in a position where I can't pay off my student loans early.
Maybe you could say that you only want cheap houses, or else you can't pay up?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:35:23 pm by justinlee999 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »

You should have given us more details :P

I'm judging this based on the American education system. So yeah. I know that in Germany, educators are pretty much lords and masters of their domains, and they way they choose to run classes and the school is the way it is.

Tell your realtor straight up what you DON'T want. If they aren't getting it, drop 'em. IIRC (In the US :P), they don't get paid until they close a house for you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 3345