Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693249 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: THIS. IS. RAGE! Edition
« Reply #6540 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »

Grammar Nazis
I'm suddenly reminded of my old college prepretory english teacher. Except enforcing it, and not tearing it asunder. *shudder*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: September 16, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »

I'm not sure a large portion of the RO2 player base even knows how to spell (based on the raeg posts in their forums), so I doubt that's going to be very effective.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: September 16, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »

Oh.  Red Orchestra 2, not Ragnarok Online 2.  You had me thinking "IT'S OUT AGAIN!?  WHERE WHERE"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #6543 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »

Oh.  Red Orchestra 2, not Ragnarok Online 2.  You had me thinking "IT'S OUT AGAIN!?  WHERE WHERE"
Relevant.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:00 pm »

I never played RO (either one thank you) that slime hat is adorable, even if I'm likely missing a deeper meaning.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: September 17, 2011, 02:19:18 am »

No deeper meaning, it's just a Poporing, one of the many adorable Poring varieties in Ragnarok Online.  And not only am I shocked that someone knew what I was talking about, but I had no idea there was a comic about it too.  Yay I'm not alone!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: September 17, 2011, 01:09:19 pm »

So, the last time I was posting here, someone stole my bike. My sole method of transportation besides the crappy bus system, which costs money. Now, a stolen bike doesn't seem much like of a big deal, except it took an hour and a half of walking just to get to the library today.

It's not even just the stolen bike that's getting to me, it's everything. In just the past month, I've had to deal with a hurt neck, loss of internet, loss of TV, a hurricane, loss of a bike, and my computer is having continuous crashing problems that require me to cut the main power supply for a short while before it will even reach POST.

And there's the place I work. Not even that, it's Christianity in general. The more I read the Bible, the more I find I hate most of it. And the people who follow it, especially where I work, are complete hypocrites about it. Any one of them, when asked, will tell you they do what they do, including, rather especially, the charity works, specifically so "they will get into heaven". That's a completely selfish reason, if you ask me. If they wanted to be "like Jesus", like they keep saying they are, perhaps they should actually give two shits about other people, like Jesus supposedly did, and help them because of that.

And finally, this morning, my stepdad was bitching about how the house was cold this morning, and it's entirely my fault because the windows in my room(the door of which is always closed) were open, despite the fact the half the fucking ceiling in the kitchen has been gone for several weeks, and we were standing right under it when he said it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: September 17, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »

And there's the place I work. Not even that, it's Christianity in general. The more I read the Bible, the more I find I hate most of it. And the people who follow it, especially where I work, are complete hypocrites about it. Any one of them, when asked, will tell you they do what they do, including, rather especially, the charity works, specifically so "they will get into heaven". That's a completely selfish reason, if you ask me. If they wanted to be "like Jesus", like they keep saying they are, perhaps they should actually give two shits about other people, like Jesus supposedly did, and help them because of that.

Quote from: Matthew 6
"Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

"When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."

It doesn't apply as perfectly as I would like, however, hypocrisy of any kind is rarely mentioned to be a rewarded behavior in the Bible, and in this context, the only reward they are likely to get is ... nothing? Yeah, pretty much.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:05:27 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: September 17, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »

One of the big things that killed my faith in christianity is the reward-based structure. You shouldn't need eternal life or whatever to have reason to be a good person.

I guess that's why predestination is popular in some denominations. You get sent to heaven because you're a good person, not because you did all your "good deed" chores.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:12 pm »

Predestination brings up its own problems, though. It's hard not to see a potential god as anything but evil if it creates a system where people are born with no potential of doing anything but being condemned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: September 17, 2011, 03:09:18 pm »

Predestination is the perfect reason for hedonism~
If you're not getting in, then it really doesn't matter if you do whatever you want~
Similarly, if you are, you're already guaranteed, and doing whatever you want isn't going to change you getting in~

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »

I'm jut going to temporarily remove the possible nonexistence of god for a moment and assume that he exists so I can avoid all the verbal garble about possibility.

That argument only works if you actually know where you're ultimately going to go when you die.  Since you don't, the only indicator of where you go is by your actions, so you better get cracking on those good deeds.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:23 pm »

But if you already knew it was predestined (but not where you were going) then surely it wouldn't matter what you did regardless of where you'd end up.  Heck, if you're predestined to go to hell that's all the more reason to enjoy your time on earth as much as possible.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »

It's essentially just Pascal's Wager in reverse~
Since you don't know where you're going, but you are guaranteed to go to one of them, you may as well just do whatever~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:39 pm »

Predestination is the perfect reason for hedonism~
If you're not getting in, then it really doesn't matter if you do whatever you want~
Similarly, if you are, you're already guaranteed, and doing whatever you want isn't going to change you getting in~
The problem with this line of thinking is that if you thought that way, you wouldn't be getting in in the first place.

If you're winning a lottery here, then what you won is your personality. You get into heaven based on who you are with predestination, after all.

Someone who does good deeds because they like doing good deeds would get in. Someone who does good deeds for an ultimate reward might not. Thus, the type of person who is predestined would not go cruising around sinning left and right once they found out, and redemption can still exist for those who start out "evil" and grow into a good person (their growth would just be predetermined).

Not that I believe any of this stuff (I'm agnostic), but predestination is pretty logical, especially if you accept God being omniscient (he'd be able to see the future, thus fate would have to exist). Has holes, of course, but so does every theory concerning this stuff in christianity. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:38:15 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 3345